CC in San Francisco Bay Area

This is a discussion on CC in San Francisco Bay Area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Question, does anyone have or have you ever had a CCW in the San Francisco Bay. If you did, how did that process work. I ...

Question, does anyone have or have you ever had a CCW in the San Francisco Bay. If you did, how did that process work. I currently live in an area in California that is pretty liberal about giving CCWs but I would like to move to the bay area in the near future but I am not too sure I want to move down there if I can't CC. Any thoughts.....experiences?

I talked to a CHP officer about it, and on the east bay he worked as a uniformed civilian for the Sheriffs department, and when he applied he got denied (and often had to travel to/from work and to meal break while in uniform), so he wasn't able to CC until he became an Officer with the CHP. So while it is theoretically possible I'd say it's pretty slim unless you've got extreme ability to show the need for CC, think court documented threats on your life. You're probably best off contacting the Sheriff office for the county you plan to move into and talking to someone involved with issuing permits to find out what your odds will be.

A permit holder can carry in SF. The permit, although issued by a county, allows one to carry all over CA in every other county. If you do not have a permit, get it NOW in your "liberal issue" county or residence and be sure to keep it current. Do NOT let it expire if you move to SF because you will NEVER get a permit in the bay area as just a "regular person".

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    A permit holder can carry in SF. The permit, although issued by a county, allows one to carry all over CA in every other county. If you do not have a permit, get it NOW in your "liberal issue" county or residence and be sure to keep it current. Do NOT let it expire if you move to SF because you will NEVER get a permit in the bay area as just a "regular person".
    Only problem is most counties require you to notify them if you move within 30 days and your permit will expire generally 30 days from when you move out of the county. Only way around it is to not move up there.

Thanks you guys, I already have my CCW I just was thinking in the future (like 5-7 years when the kids are older). I think I may just stay put, then I will still be able to carry down there when I visit.

There are only 5 permits in San Francisco, too bad you can't be number 6.
    Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

How can you praise freedom, and condemn that which gains and preserves it?

VIP Member
    In 5-7 years from now, we may all be doing the duck-walk as China will be in charge. I grew up in southern California and I was a LEO there way back when. It's a real shame to see how the State has become, and yet I would consider moving back there if I knew I could get a permit.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    In 5-7 years from now, we may all be doing the duck-walk as China will be in charge. I grew up in southern California and I was a LEO there way back when. It's a real shame to see how the State has become, and yet I would consider moving back there if I knew I could get a permit.
    Move to Madera County! You should have no problem getting a permit, and Fresno County is also good about permits.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I grew up in southern California and I was a LEO there way back when. It's a real shame to see how the State has become, and yet I would consider moving back there if I knew I could get a permit. [/I]
    So did I. I grew up in the Agoura Hills/Thousand Oaks area of Ventura County. I left for the military as fast as I could and have only been back a couple of times since 1987. Spent most of my time in Florida, but now I'm in Arizona and loving it.

Links