NY laws / federal laws

NY laws / federal laws

This is a discussion on NY laws / federal laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I've been looking long and hard, but I must be an idiot Is there anywhere to look on the web where I can find ...

Thread: NY laws / federal laws

NY laws / federal laws

OK, I've been looking long and hard, but I must be an idiot

Is there anywhere to look on the web where I can find a concise list of where I can carry and where I can't as far as my state is concerned and as far as the Feds are concerned?

I've read numerous threads on the topic, and invariably somebody will mention some restriction that I then can't find in writing.

I know about Handgunlaw.com, and it's a great site, but what they have listed for NY for no-carry zones - man I can't believe it's that short of a list. No mention of churches, gatherings that charge admission, sporting events, theatres etc. Hard to believe my state is that relaxed, so I assume some of the restrictions are by Federal mandate (?).

Any ideas on sources for this info?

Thanks
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

New York CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info

Don't know if this will help. I didn't really read through all of it but it looks like a good place to start.

Call your Permit Office.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    sixsccw

I have noticed over the years of cataloging Firearm laws that the May Issue states seem to have less places off limits than the Shall Issue States. Massachusetts just has elementary, secondary schools, colleges and court houses. NJ and MD have few places off limits but it is almost impossible to get a permit/license there.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

try this:

Laws of New York

if that link doesn't take you right to the "stuff", follow this after you get in

Go to-----> PEN ------> Part 4 -----> Title W -----> Article 400 -----> 400.00

Happy reading
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

+1 to the "may" issue states having fewer restrictions, perhaps because they don't expect anyone to be legally carrying so why bother to lay out restrictions? I know this doesn't answer the OP's original question but part of the answer may be simply that there aren't that many restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    sixsccw

I have noticed over the years of cataloging Firearm laws that the May Issue states seem to have less places off limits than the Shall Issue States. Massachusetts just has elementary, secondary schools, colleges and court houses. NJ and MD have few places off limits but it is almost impossible to get a permit/license there.
    Yep. While it is a PITA to get an unrestricted CCW, once you get it the laws are not as bad as many Shall issue states. I travel extensively on business and carry whenever I can. Lots of states, you can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, or you can only open carry in a restaurant, or you have to honor no gun signs, etc. In my experience, no gun signs are the biggest pain. I've never seen one in NY. Even if I saw one I don't think it would have any legal effect.

sixsccw

Same way in CT. The permit is still "may issue", but we didn't have any trouble getting ours when we lived there. Very few restrictions on where one couldn't carry. Even actual bars were okay. I actually feel MORE "I'm gonna get made" self-conscious carrying concealed in AZ than I did in CT. In CT, no one really thinks about guns because it is mostly NOT a gun friendly state. Most people don't even realize than an "average joe" can legally carry a gun, so it never crosses their minds in everyday life. In AZ? Carry is everywhere and I feel like people look and notice it a lot more here. Maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    +1 to the "may" issue states having fewer restrictions, perhaps because they don't expect anyone to be legally carrying so why bother to lay out restrictions?
    Yes, I definitely believe this to be the case...at least for Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Same way in CT. The permit is still "may issue", but we didn't have any trouble getting ours when we lived there. Very few restrictions on where one couldn't carry. Even actual bars were okay. I actually feel MORE "I'm gonna get made" self-conscious carrying concealed in AZ than I did in CT. In CT, no one really thinks about guns because it is mostly NOT a gun friendly state. Most people don't even realize than an "average joe" can legally carry a gun, so it never crosses their minds in everyday life. In AZ? Carry is everywhere and I feel like people look and notice it a lot more here. Maybe it's just me.

I didnt have any trouble getting my CT even living in PA. CT is considered May Issue by law, but I think by practice they are almost Shall Issue.

And I agree with the May Issue few restrictions...they don't think about needing restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I didnt have any trouble getting my CT even living in PA. CT is considered May Issue by law, but I think by practice they are almost Shall Issue.
    And, the bolded part being the operative phrase... You did not have to apply through an individual town first like CT residents do. We apply through the police department in the town in which we reside. THEN after we get the temporary paper permit, which is the "hard part", we take that to a State Police Barracks for the "credit card" permanent state permit. That's the EASY part. Depending on where you live, going through your town/city can be rough. New Haven, New London and Bridgeport are some of the worst and people have been denied with no reason given (against state law) and others have waited WAAAAY longer than the state mandated 8 weeks (against state law). We're talking over a year. And, cities like New London require ridiculous letters of recommendation on TOP of the state requirements, which is...you guessed it...NOT required by law for the state. But...the city will do its damndest in dragging its feet...or not issue at all without those letters.

So, it most definitely is NOT "basically shall issue" in much of the state. Living in the smaller towns, like we did, made things much easier. And, unfortunately, you MUST apply through your town/city, so there's no going to an "easy issue" town.

VIP Member
    sixsccw

Absolutely!

You can watch the progression over the years.

The more likely it is that the aver ge Joe/Jill (as opposed to the rich/connected/etc) will be allowed to carry, the more restrictions the antis lobby for/get restrictions on when/where and the more prior restraint hurtles they put in the way. It's their rear-guard action.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

As always, thanks for all the help and info, guys.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Sponsored Links