Good News from Texas

Good News from Texas

This is a discussion on Good News from Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all; I'm new here, but a long-time regular over on the Smith and Wesson Forum, as "38-44HD45," and on a private forum with some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good News from Texas

Good News from Texas

Hey all; I'm new here, but a long-time regular over on the Smith and Wesson Forum, as "38-44HD45," and on a private forum with some folks whose names you might recognize. I'm a Texas CHL Instructor (since 1995) and an attorney (since 1988). Many of you may already know this, but TXDPS just announced that in the future, there will be no requirement for new passport photos or fingerprints for CHL renewals. This will make things less expensive and less time-consuming for renewals. They also tell us that other streamlining measures are in the works.

Thanks for the information! Good to know that....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Hi John,

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware.

Glad to here things are getting a little easier in Texas.

Delaware requires you to submit updated photos, but you only need to be fingerprinted the first time, they don't really change much.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Hey all; I'm new here, but a long-time regular over on the Smith and Wesson Forum, as "38-44HD45," and on a private forum with some folks whose names you might recognize. I'm a Texas CHL Instructor (since 1995) and an attorney (since 1988). Many of you may already know this, but TXDPS just announced that in the future, there will be no requirement for new passport photos or fingerprints for CHL renewals. This will make things less expensive and less time-consuming for renewals. They also tell us that other streamlining measures are in the works.

Good to know. Now the state legislature needs to pass Open Carry!

Welcome from Central Texas!!!!!

You bring good news indeed for us Texans with CHLs.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

GM
    Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the good new!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Good to know. Now the state legislature needs to pass Open Carry!
    Not likely, with all the far left nervous nellies in Travis County. I'll be happy enough if we can get the Campus Carry and employer parking lot bills passed next time. Both those were excellent bills, held up in committee by some folks for whom I used to have a little respect. They have taken much heat over it, and just today, one of them made an announcement that he's aligning himself more "conservatively." We'll see, come 2011 legislative session.

Thanks for the kind welcome, guys!

Good Deal. Currently, CHL in Texas is WAY WAY too expensive to get and maintain (unless you are LEO/prosecutor/active military or retired) considering that it is our right according to the Constitution.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Crud, my wife says I look like a terrorist in my photo. I was hoping to get a new one. Dang walgreens!
    On the positive, a friend of mine is a lobbyist in Austin. There is talk of being able to carry at our State Universities. Just talk now but they are working on it.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    Crud, my wife says I look like a terrorist in my photo. I was hoping to get a new one. Dang walgreens!
    On the positive, a friend of mine is a lobbyist in Austin. There is talk of being able to carry at our State Universities. Just talk now but they are working on it.

Does he know anything about open carry?

Just spoke with her. She said "Concealed carry on university property didn't pass, last session, but it could be brought up again." Nothing new on the open carry. It's still illegal in Texas, unless you're a peace officer and have a visible badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Queensidecas View Post
    Good Deal. Currently, CHL in Texas is WAY WAY too expensive to get and maintain (unless you are LEO/prosecutor/active military or retired) considering that it is our right according to the Constitution.
    I didn't find that the license itself was expensive. Most of my expenditures are the toys and gadgets that go with the license...
    Knowing is half the battle.

Mine renews in 2011 and this time I'm using my Vet status and getting 1/2 off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Delaware requires you to submit updated photos, but you only need to be fingerprinted the first time, they don't really change much.
    Yes...and I'm glad they increased the renewal from 3 to 5 years.

PS..... Welcome, John
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

Renewal has always been for 4 years, until they raised it to 5 last session. The only term less than 4 years ever in the statute was when the first round of applications went out back in '95-'96, and they sent out a bunch of 2-year license apps, because they thought that all of the licenses coming up for renewal in the same year would be unmanageable for the CHL Unit at DPS. Or were you talking about another state? If so, I apologize for the confusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links