Pulled over by Police today and.....

This is a discussion on Pulled over by Police today and..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by crf3973 Thanks for sharing I volunteered mine when I was stopped (Iím in Eugene). No ticket for me either, but I provided ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over by Police today and.....

Quote Originally Posted by crf3973 View Post
    Thanks for sharing

I volunteered mine when I was stopped (Iím in Eugene). No ticket for me either, but I provided it with insurance, registration and DL.
    Ha, I'm in Eugene too. I should have have stopped before the intersection, just was a little careless. I don't know what he could have ticketed me for, perhaps speeding, disregarding traffic control device, or maybe careless driving. I don't know how fast I was going but I don't think he knew either.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    Side note: There is not a law in Oregon saying you have to inform the officer that you have CHL.

So I was driving and the light turned yellow so I gunned it through it and there happened to be an undercover cop I passed and he pulled me over.

(this is a summarization of our convo)
    Came up to the window and said
    Officer: It's guys like you that make me drive cars like that. Did you fly by me just to make it through the light?
    Me:I guess.
    Officer: Do you have your driver's license?
    I gave him my driver's license, insurance and registration.
    Officer: Do you have a bad driving record?
    Me: Not lately.
    Officer: Do you have a parole officer?
    Me: No?

He goes and checks my license and then comes back to the window

Officer: Do you have a gun in the car?
    Me: Yes I do it's on my side
    Officer: You need to tell us that you have gun in the car, I didn't know you had a CHL, it would have made me less jumpy.
    Me: Sorry, haven't been pulled over since I got my CHL.
    Officer: Since you have a CHL you can't be that bad of a guy.

Hands me my license/insurance/registration back

Officer: I don't want to see you drive like that again, you will be on my black book to watch out for.
    Me: I appreciate it officer

Shook his hand and I was off.

So my CHL was a get out of jail free card today.
    turned out ok!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    AN effing yellow light does not mean speed up, it means stop and you can and will be stopped or ticketed for it in all of the 6 states a regularly drive in
    That's exactly what it means.

Here, the damned things are tuned so that stopping very quickly after seeing the yellow you're almost certain to fail (a) to stop before the pedestrian line and (b) before it turns red. By my estimation, ~80% of the lights around here are tuned this way. It's by design, of course, for the opportunity to spray the "authority" around liberally. And to get that revenue. Nobody could engineer that by mistake.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    In TN your HCP is tied directly to your DL. If they run the DL they know. I believe there are various states that do this.
    Connecticut is the same way.

Most of the vehicles that i've owned do better to down shift and floor it than to hit the brakes for a yellow light. 38" tires on an '85 4runner, '74 Land Cruiser w/ drums all around, '87 Samurai on 35" TSL's... All those instances were usually safer for all drivers on the road that I just down shift and squeeze through the light.. The lack of brakes never killed anyone... right? right?
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Originally Posted by jem102
    In TN your HCP is tied directly to your DL. If they run the DL they know. I believe there are various states that do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Haig View Post
    Connecticut is the same way.
    That is incorrect. The permit database and the DL database are in no way connected and the DL database is not flagged with any permit information.

To ascertain if a driver has a carry permit, the officer (both state and local) must request dispatch to make the database inquiry.

This is information from the Department of Public safety.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Passing within an intersection, or within a certain distance of an intersection, is generally illegal. In certainly is, in Texas. Not sure about Oregon.

Even changing lanes within a certain distance of an intersection is illegal in some places. Texas is one of those places. Not sure about Oregon.

Rapid acceleration can be an offense. It used to be ticketable in Texas; it was recently upgraded to a higher misdemeanor - not ticketable, but arrestable. So much for publicly admitting "gunning it."

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    He "let you off" because he didn't have a charge he could make. Last time I looked, running a yellow light isn't a ticketable offense. Also, plain clothes don't usually make traffic cases. It may jeopardize their cover. Sounds to me like he was just bored and wanted to flex a little muscle. You came back too squeaky clean for him to flex much.
    I'm sure that he wouldn't have pulled him over if he wouldn't have been able to issue a summons. Also, just because an officer is not in uniform doesn't mean he has to be "under cover". He could be a detective, street crime officer, anti crime officer or whatever titles other depts may issue to certain units.

I'm sure that if he wanted to "flex" his authority muscles, he would have issued the summons.

To the OP, glad that you didn't get the summons.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    Officer: Do you have a parole officer?
    Yep...but he's in the trunk
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That's exactly what it means.

Here, the damned things are tuned so that stopping very quickly after seeing the yellow you're almost certain to fail (a) to stop before the pedestrian line and (b) before it turns red. By my estimation, ~80% of the lights around here are tuned this way. It's by design, of course, for the opportunity to spray the "authority" around liberally. And to get that revenue. Nobody could engineer that by mistake.
    Are you saying that the lights are tuned to quickly run from yellow to red so that the municipality can gain revenue from red light summonses? I doubt that revenue from a red light is more important than the safety issue and the accidents that it would cause. Not to mention, if a light jumps to red too quickly the summons can get dismissed. Whenever I watch a light, I watch several cycles to make sure that it operates properly before I issue anyone a summons. If the light is not working properly it gets written up for repair.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Yep...but he's in the trunk
    That'll go over like a fart in chuch.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Are you saying that the lights are tuned to quickly run from yellow to red so that the municipality can gain revenue from red light summonses? I doubt that revenue from a red light is more important than the safety issue and the accidents that it would cause. Not to mention, if a light jumps to red too quickly the summons can get dismissed. Whenever I watch a light, I watch several cycles to make sure that it operates properly before I issue anyone a summons. If the light is not working properly it gets written up for repair.
    I applaud you for being a REAL LEO, however, there are municipalities who do "fund" them, at least in part, from revenue derived from tickets. As one who was a two-way radio technician, I was at many LEO departments both in Florida and NY state.
    I actually had a high ranking officer in a major town, want to pay me to rig a light as mentioned above. Many officers also asked how to make a RADAR indicate a higher speed than was actually measured.
    And, this was not THAT long ago....

I asked a local LEO (Sargeant) about getting stopped for a traffic infraction while carrying. He said that although Florida is not a must inform state, the officers want to know and won't harrass you. He also said thier department does train the officers in handling this exact situation. I will inform if stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I applaud you for being a REAL LEO, however, there are municipalities who do "fund" them, at least in part, from revenue derived from tickets. As one who was a two-way radio technician, I was at many LEO departments both in Florida and NY state.
    I actually had a high ranking officer in a major town, want to pay me to rig a light as mentioned above. Many officers also asked how to make a RADAR indicate a higher speed than was actually measured.
    And, this was not THAT long ago....

I asked a local LEO (Sargeant) about getting stopped for a traffic infraction while carrying. He said that although Florida is not a must inform state, the officers want to know and won't harrass you. He also said thier department does train the officers in handling this exact situation. I will inform if stopped.
    Well, then they are obviously dishonest individuals. Although, I'm not sure what making a radar unit read a higher speed will do? It is the visual observation of the officer that estimates the speed. Radar merely confirms it. POs make no extra money for writing summonses.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be taking this thread away from the subject. While it may not always be required to inform, it is a good practice for everyones safety.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Passing within an intersection, or within a certain distance of an intersection, is generally illegal. In certainly is, in Texas. Not sure about Oregon.

Even changing lanes within a certain distance of an intersection is illegal in some places. Texas is one of those places. Not sure about Oregon.
    The Texas Highway Man Pages - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

This guy says differently. Do you have proof that you can't change lanes in an intersection?

Are you saying that the lights are tuned to quickly run from yellow to red so that the municipality can gain revenue from red light summonses? I doubt that revenue from a red light is more important than the safety issue and the accidents that it would cause.
    Don't be so sure...
    Let me google that for you

Looks like money > safety.

I'm sure that he wouldn't have pulled him over if he wouldn't have been able to issue a summons. Also, just because an officer is not in uniform doesn't mean he has to be "under cover". He could be a detective, street crime officer, anti crime officer or whatever titles other depts may issue to certain units.

I'm sure that if he wanted to "flex" his authority muscles, he would have issued the summons.

To the OP, glad that you didn't get the summons.
    Well maybe I should have said an unmarked police car, not under cover cop. So the car looked like a normal citizen's car.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links