The flip side....I stopped a CHL holder - Page 4

The flip side....I stopped a CHL holder

This is a discussion on The flip side....I stopped a CHL holder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 9MMare Were they asking about safety stuff like stickers and seat belts or were they asking about car contents? It's 2 different ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The flip side....I stopped a CHL holder

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Were they asking about safety stuff like stickers and seat belts or were they asking about car contents? It's 2 different things. And I'm pretty sure it's BS that they *said* what I bolded above. Were they asking questions about safety? Or were they asking about other stuff?????
    You're not making any headway here. Plain and simple, they were looking for any and every possible reason to harass any person that happened by, and they had a whole line of people they were pulling over to the side for extra harassment. It was obvious, and one of the principal questions they asked me about as federal agents was if I had anything in my car they needed to know about.

Because safety inspections are perfectly legal and even you admitted they have a purpose. They do them sometimes looking for drunk drivers. Sorry it was an inconvenience. Based on what you've told me so far, you're just mad you got delayed and felt it was intrusive...but thus far said nothing that makes it seem unwarranted or unnecessary. States do this stuff sometimes. Also, you kept saying state and fed....which was it? Was it both?
    Drunk drivers at two o'clock in the afternoon? Safety? Sure. Sure. There have been a lot of cases on checkpoints. They're not perfectly legal as if any superfluous token reason, like safety, is sufficient to make it a slam dunk. For example, there was a case where the national parks were allowed a check point at the park entry to look for evidence of illegal hunting. Not just hey, let's stop every car for ..... oh yeah ... seat belts and see what we come up with. Show me a case where a check point was upheld to stop every car for seat belts and inspection stickers.

Even if you can find one, who are you kidding? I was there. It was over zealous police harassment plain and simple. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they found some nonsense like seat belts, or the look on their face when after even literally a triple check of an inspection sticker left him with no reason to hold a perfectly innocent driver.

Whether the OP intended it or not, I think the general policy of cops questioning only CHL holders about guns is harassment in the same way. It wasn't relevant to the stop, and cops should just mind their own business. What we as citizens have in our private and personal possession is none of their business.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    My class's instructor said it was purely a courtesy, and encouraged us to disclose that up front.
    ...and I have knives in my house. Big deal. If you aren't carrying--why inform? As the OP stated...it's not required. Not to mention, don't all LEOs assume there is a gun/weapon? The fact they stopped a NON-FELON should be a good thing...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

64zebra,

Um, did you stop anyone in a 2010 red Impala last Friday, doing 73 in a 70, with a boat-load of weapons, just east of Amarillo? Rough-looking guy, maybe looked homeless?

No reason, no reason at all. Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    You're not making any headway here. Plain and simple, they were looking for any and every possible reason to harass any person that happened by, and they had a whole line of people they were pulling over to the side for extra harassment. It was obvious, and one of the principal questions they asked me about as federal agents was if I had anything in my car they needed to know about.

Drunk drivers at two o'clock in the afternoon? Safety? Sure. Sure. There have been a lot of cases on checkpoints. They're not perfectly legal as if any superfluous token reason, like safety, is sufficient to make it a slam dunk. For example, there was a case where the national parks were allowed a check point at the park entry to look for evidence of illegal hunting. Not just hey, let's stop every car for ..... oh yeah ... seat belts and see what we come up with. Show me a case where a check point was upheld to stop every car for seat belts and inspection stickers.

Even if you can find one, who are you kidding? I was there. It was over zealous police harassment plain and simple. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they found some nonsense like seat belts, or the look on their face when after even literally a triple check of an inspection sticker left him with no reason to hold a perfectly innocent driver.

Whether the OP intended it or not, I think the general policy of cops questioning only CHL holders about guns is harassment in the same way. It wasn't relevant to the stop, and cops should just mind their own business. What we as citizens have in our private and personal possession is none of their business.

You're right, I'm wrong. Obviously they were only pulling people over to harrass them. (I mean, it's totally crazy that the park service would want to make stops to try to catch poachers and illegal hunters).

Btw, I've been pulled over in roadblock stops outside Reno mid-afternoon where they were looking for drunk drivers.

But I'm sure you're right.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

my instructor told us that even if we are carrying our firearm we don't have to inform an LEO we are unless asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazeman2 View Post
    my instructor told us that even if we are carrying our firearm we don't have to inform an LEO we are unless asked.
    Duty to inform depends on the State you are in, Texas you do, Indiana you don't unless asked. Know the laws of the State you are in!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Zebra, I would like to thank you for your attitude and professionalism. I understand the comments above regarding harassment, and I do not feel you stepped over the line. I *do* think Joe Motorcyclespeeder did with his speed, and I absolutely loved the 'been wanting to show it off' line!

All: please remember the concept that the individuals within the system are not the same as the system itself.

As a schoolteacher, I was dedicated, caring, conservative, Christian and morally astute, and I did my best to call students to think and to develop in terms of character. I worked hard, while a some of the teachers in my school appeared to have already retired (think of the character Ditto from Teachers, if you can remember back that far). I knew a good number of other teachers who worked as hard or harder than I did, and I have great respect for current teachers who are trying with great heroism to bail out the Titanic.

But the system? Unwarranted and harmful in the first place, and self-perpetuating, bloated, and a juggernaut which (at least before 2008) is probably the greatest single force towards screwing up the country we have. (I recommend homeschooling - could you tell?)

So Officer Zebra, my hat is off to you and your professional brethren who 1) respect concealed carry permit holders for trying to do what is right to protect their family, and 2) give permit-holders tickets if they've earned one (your story really was an 'honest gotcha'). May your style become the pattern for the rest of the legal system!
    Last edited by Paymeister; April 17th, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKREAPER View Post
    Texas recently decriminalized failure to inform. There is no longer any penalty for not informing a LEO that you are carrying.
    thats debatable, the immediate penalty was removed but the requirement is still there, until it is removed there is still a chance from some DA or judge to step in with something
    the whole requirement needs to be abolished and quit treating our CHL holders differently than non-CHL

now understand so you don't misinterpret what I'm saying.....I'm not saying or wanting to take action on this, I'm just saying that as long as that line is still in the law its not completely closed and it needs to be in the next legislative session

we need to stop pandering to the weak-minded anti 2A legislators who were all happy on the notification crap in the first place, its stupid

I like talking to CHL holders about guns when I'm presented one but thats about it, if the requirement goes away then good riddance
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I thought this would happpen

dldeuce
    I'm not going to detract from the threat by responding to the junk stated since you obviously don't read properly or don't understand what was typed and have a chip on your shoulder
    please don't screw up my thread more
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    64zebra,

Um, did you stop anyone in a 2010 red Impala last Friday, doing 73 in a 70, with a boat-load of weapons, just east of Amarillo? Rough-looking guy, maybe looked homeless?

No reason, no reason at all. Just asking.
    no but I would liked to have stopped you to talk guns
    and it wouldn't have been hassling either
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Zebra, I would like to thank you for your attitude and professionalism. I understand the comments above regarding harassment, and I do not feel you stepped over the line. I *do* think Joe Motorcyclespeeder did with his speed, and I absolutely loved the 'been wanting to show it off' line!

All: please remember the concept that the individuals within the system are not the same as the system itself.

As a schoolteacher, I was a dedicated, caring, conservative, Christian and morally astute, and I did my best to call students to think and to develop in terms of character. I worked hard, while a some of the teachers in my school appeared to have already retired (think of the character Ditto from Teachers, if you can remember back that far). I knew a good number of other teachers who worked as hard or harder than I did, and I have great respect for current teachers who are trying with great heroism to bail out the Titanic.

But the system? Unwarranted and harmful in the first place, and self-perpetuating, bloated, and a juggernaut which (at least before 2008) is probably the greatest single force towards screwing up the country we have. (I recommend homeschooling - could you tell?)

So Officer Zebra, my hat is off to you and your professional brethren who 1) respect concealed carry permit holders for trying to do what is right to protect their family, and 2) give permit-holders tickets if they've earned one (your story really was an 'honest gotcha'). May your style become the pattern for the rest of the legal system!
    thanks
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links