Leo's and Permits

This is a discussion on Leo's and Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should qualify my statement above and delete "...are exempt from the VA state laws and..." because it made my statement broader than necessary to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leo's and Permits

I should qualify my statement above and delete "...are exempt from the VA state laws and..." because it made my statement broader than necessary to answer the question. The answer should now read "...with photo, you can carry in a restaurant..."

For further information, the folks at the VSP Firearms Transaction Center were very helpful. 804-674-2210 although I would email any question to them at firearms@vsp.virginia.gov in order to have a record of the answer. I had a question for them regarding this topic and found them very helpful, including providing the cite to the statute that I posted above.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I still have my Texas CHL (getting renewed)
    I don't keep it in order to make up for shortcomings of me being a Texas Peace Officer, In Texas I can carry anywhere/anytime (except for the usual federal places)
    I keep it in case something happens to my job so I don't have to pay the full price for the class again and have to go through that whole process.

our dept does not mandate off duty carry but they strongly encourage it
    we can carry our duty weapon off duty or qual with a quality weapon (approved brand by rangemaster, which is pretty liberal, just no junk guns)
    I carry G17 on duty, I'm qualified with these for off-duty/backup: G30, Keltec P11, S&W 642

will your dept allow you to get a different holster or are you required to use only the one they gave you?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    Here is something I've copied and pasted. I've bolded the important parts to our discussion;

1) "an employee of a governmental agency"; (2) "authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law"; (3) have "statutory powers of arrest"; (4) "authorized by the agency to carry a firearm"; (5) "not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency"; (6) "meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm"; and (7) "not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm." In addition, the privilege conferred by the law applies only when the individual "is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance

So, if your agency authorizes you to only carry the M&P and you are carrying something different, you are on your own and not in compliance under LEOSA.
    "Just blame Sixto"

well, they leave it pretty open. on paper they say in the SOP that any holster must be approved by the director of the training acdemy. but the one time i asked him he said no without even looking at it. (I make him sound like an *****, but he really is a decent guy) the only other holster I have seen any member of my dept carry was 2 captains. I wish I could just ask a white shirt (without getting a write up) which I would get in the least amount of trouble for: carrying with a permit, or carrying a holster that hasn't been approved. Ive been there over 2 years now. I have ran into many former inmates and gang members on the street several times. Including once when I was eating sushi on the beach with my girlfriend. so far Ive only had one bad incident off-duty, but one's all it takes. But I hear now that after July 1st concealed carry will be legal in the bars as long as you don"t drink, so there some good news.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here is something I've copied and pasted. I've bolded the important parts to our discussion;

So, if your agency authorizes you to only carry the M&P and you are carrying something different, you are on your own and not in compliance under LEOSA.
    Agreed.

I guess you have to wear the holster as well.

The smart move is to stick with your agency's policy and not try to circumvent it. Your policy, like all of ours, has that catch-all language that could compromise your career.

Spend your time and energy trying to make positive change to your agency's attitude.

A good start is a short list of common off-duty guns that the agency can authorize for carry with the Officer's purchasing individually. Do your homework though and be prepared. Get your local cop shop to provide T&E's so your admin can go hands on with what you're proposing.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Moderator
    I've got a permit. Since I teach the class quite a bit, I figured it's be a good thing to have.

Arkansas has 33 states that the permit is good in.

I did fly into and carry into California on my LEO credentials though, no problems at all were encountered.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links