New Gun Owner- Need safety Advice

This is a discussion on New Gun Owner- Need safety Advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys! I am from Ohio. I have used shotguns, etc for hunting, but recently decided to buy a handgun primarily for home protection and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun Owner- Need safety Advice

Hi Guys! I am from Ohio. I have used shotguns, etc for hunting, but recently decided to buy a handgun primarily for home protection and possibly for Right to Carry. I plan on taking the CCW class next month.

Anyway I bought a S&W Sigma series 40c. I have been shooting it and absolutely love the fit and feel.

My question is, is this gun safe for CCW since it doesn't have an actual safety on it? It makes me a little nervous to carry this chambered.

Am I right to think this or am I just being overly cautious?
    Thanks guys
    Jamie

VIP Member
    I prefer handguns without an external "manual" safety. Guns are made with built in safeties, although I don't know too much about Sigmas. You are perfectly safe to carry that gun with a loaded chamber.

Also, Welcome to the best forum for gun owners.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

welcome from a fellow buckeye.

Its perfectly safe to carry. I carry both a Springfield XD and a Sig P250 (not at the same time of course) and neither have a manual safety. The only safety you need is between your ears. Aslong as you keep your finger off the trigger, and make sure your holster is clear when you re-holster, you'll be fine.

I had the same thoughts before i started carrying my XD, so try what i did. Carry the gun completely unloaded but cocked in its holster around your house for a week or so. after that week check the gun, I guarentee it remained cocked (if loaded this indicates the gun never fired)
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Jamie, I'm partial to safeties, but I was brought up on 1911s and having and using a safety with them is part of what makes them very safe guns.

Your Double Action pistol has a stronger trigger pull which is considered safer when carrying without a thumb safety. Keep your finger away from the trigger at all times unless you're actually shooting (same applies to any gun). Get a good sturdy holster that covers the entire trigger. I prefer leather, some prefer Kydex which is a sturdy plastic. Don't get a nylon or other cloth type holster where it may be possible to move the trigger when the gun is holstered. For added safety, holster your weapon before you put the holster on. Once on, keep the weapon holstered and when you do remove your gun for the night, remove the holster with the gun still in it. This helps prevent a AD/ND while inserting/removing the gun from the holster.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Just like a Glock

when chambered, the striker pin is only partially pulled back (cocked) and the trigger must be pulled to fully compress the striker & spring then break free releasing the striker and firing the gun. There is also a cross bar safety inside blocking the striker from accidently moving forward. This cross bar is moved when pulling the trigger all the way back enabling the striker to move forward. I carried one (SW40VE) for 3 years with no problems at all. The Sigma trigger is pretty stiff which I actually liked as an added safety feature. It's hard to accidently fire this gun.
    Last edited by Brady; April 14th, 2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: grammer
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I don't know the gun, but from the above posts it sounds like a Glock trigger mechanism. Just strongly consider a holster which covers the trigger itself and practice safe handling when re-holstering.

Thanks for all the replies- and quick replies! I value each and every piece of advice thus far.
    I do like the idea of having a gun especially at home. We have had a rash of home invasions day and night in this area. (Rural- east of Toledo). The shotguns are available but locked in a safe that would be hard to get to especially at night. I have the hand gun in a safe under the bed. My fiance also feels a little safer now that she has this at her disposal since I do work a couple nights a week for one of my jobs.
    I think more and more people are buying/ carrying guns due to the state of the economy and our government.
    Thanks again folks!

VIP Member
    Welcome from SC!

I don't carry anything with an external safety. I prefer proper training, a quality firearm and a good holster.

Always use a holster that fully covers the trigger guard, always re-holster carefully and remember: "Booger hook off the bang switch."

My M&P .40c has no safety other than the built-in trigger safety and I carry with one in the pipe. I've done so for a few months now and no ND. A well-built gun is every bit as safe as you are.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I agree with the folks above - use a holster that fully covers the trigger, and don't ever put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to fire. Just follow the 4 basic rules of handgun safety at all times, and you'll be OK.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Thanks again guys. Anyone have a good suggestion on a comfortable holster? Preferably right handed, inside waist

I use a Crossbreed "Super Tuck" with my XD 9 SC. Very comfortable; sometimes I almost forget I am carrying.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

VIP Member
    I'll second the Crossbreed SuperTuck

It's a very comfortable holster that offers great concealment.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; April 14th, 2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: removed incorrect link.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'll second the Crossbreed SuperTuck

you can find them here: CROSSBREED.com
    Actually you want to go to CrossbreedHolsters.com. Crossbreed.com (without the word holster) leads to some sort of punk band.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Another vote for the Supertuck. You don't realize until you start to carry what an advantage it is to be able to tuck a shirt into your pants and totally cover your weapon. I can wear mine with suit pants, dress shirt, and tie and no one has any idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links