VA Restaurant Carry Signed Into Law

This is a discussion on VA Restaurant Carry Signed Into Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; overnor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law Fairfax, Va. - Governor Bob McDonnell has signed into law a NRA-backed measure allowing right-to-carry permit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA Restaurant Carry Signed Into Law

VA Restaurant Carry Signed Into Law

overnor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law

Fairfax, Va. - Governor Bob McDonnell has signed into law a NRA-backed measure allowing right-to-carry permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense in restaurants, providing they do not consume alcohol. State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24) and Delegate Todd Gilbert (R-15) were the principal sponsors of Senate Bill 334/House Bill 505.

“This is a victory for self-defense in Virginia," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “As headlines remind us, violent crime can happen anywhere. Law-abiding Virginia residents now have the option to carry a firearm in restaurants to defend themselves and their loved ones.”

The measure passed the State Senate in February by a margin of 22-18 and passed the House of Delegates in early March with a vote of 72-27. Virginia is the 42nd state to extend self-defense rights to permit holders in restaurants.

“The right to self-defense and the protection of loved ones in and outside the home is vital. We are pleased that Virginia passed these laws to enhance the self-defense rights of law-abiding folks in the Commonwealth,” concluded Cox. “The NRA would like to thank Governor Bob McDonnell and the lead bill sponsors, Senator Emmett Hanger and Delegate Todd Gilbert, as well as all the other legislators who supported this common-sense measure.”

This law will take effect July 1, 2010.

In addition, Governor McDonnell has also signed the following pro-gun bills into law:

House Bill 8/Senate Bill 3, sponsored by State Senator Ralph Smith (R-22) and Delegate Charles Carrico (R-5), allows Virginia residents to renew concealed carry permits by mail.

House Bill 109, sponsored by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), repeals the statute which allows the governing body of any county to require the sellers of pistols and revolvers to furnish the Clerk of the Circuit Court with the name and address of the purchaser, date of purchase and the number, make, and caliber of the gun.

House Bill 871, authored by Delegate Ben Cline (R-24), clarifies that a person who is applying for a concealed handgun permit for the first time has the same right to an ore tenus (verbal or oral statements) hearing if the permit is denied as a person who has previously held a concealed handgun permit.

House Bill 1092, sponsored by Delegate Anne B. Crockett-Stark (R-6), gives retired law-enforcement the ability to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

House Bill 1191, sponsored by Delegate H. Morgan Griffith (R-8), allows a circuit court judge to authorize the Clerk of Court to issue concealed handgun permits in instances where the application is complete, the background check does not indicate that the applicant is disqualified, and, after consulting with the local sheriff or police department, there are no other questions or issues surrounding the application.

"Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

2. Remove Ads

Source link please so that I can repost elsewhere...

Thanks,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I copied from the NRA-ILA email that I subscribe to. Here's the link:

NRA-ILA :: Governor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law!
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Great to hear,but good luck on any more good gun bills passing with the "special" committee now active.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good deal......Now I wish SC would follow in line!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Great news for The Commonwealth.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

GM
    That was good news!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Oustanding!

Now I'm gonna join the VACDL.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Good deal......Now I wish SC would follow in line!
    same with NC
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Congrats!

Now this is apparently proof positive that the House of Delegates is smarter than the Senate!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    elections and votes matter. Nice to win one for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    House Bill 1092, sponsored by Delegate Anne B. Crockett-Stark (R-6), gives retired law-enforcement the ability to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

Good for VA. I don't agree with 1092, however, as it creates an elite class of citizen. Either all carry without permit, or none do................

YMMV

Lon

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Yay! I supported Mcdonnell as much as I could when he was running, and he has not disapointed!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    This is fantastic! I was born in Richmond, and spent my first 39 years there before moving to Vegas in 1991. I still visit regularly, and I just hated having to do the "Virginia Tuck", or disarming to go in if I was carrying my Glock 26 in my pocket. I'm looking forward to visiting again soon (but after July 1st!).
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Good deal for Virginia. That's the first change we got here, then it moved on to other things as well. Here, it's now legal to carry in anywhere other than some Govt buildings, Court, Fedl Bldgs, etc. unless it's posted. That includes carrying in church, schools, bars, etc.... but at NO time if consuming alcohol. We've had no issues as a result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links