Woodforest Bank in Walmart

This is a discussion on Woodforest Bank in Walmart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many Walmarts in my area (North Carolina) have a Woodforest branch in them. If you are carrying can you walk up to the counter to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodforest Bank in Walmart

Woodforest Bank in Walmart

Many Walmarts in my area (North Carolina) have a Woodforest branch in them. If you are carrying can you walk up to the counter to make a transaction, or is that considered illegal carrying in a financial institution just like a free-standing bank?
    Last edited by racuda; April 14th, 2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added state

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I have never seen a sign posted other wise. However, I was carrying and sent my wife in to deposit my paycheck. The teller told my needed to ask me a question and my wife told her I was a CHL holder and was armed thats why she had come in instead of me. The teller told her it was ok if I came to the counter.

not sure what the laws are like in your area but i live in Ohio and if there is no sign you can carry inside the bank. i always carry when i go my bank and i have yet to see a bank where i live in Ohio that does not allow a conceal weapons.

Contrary to popular belief, a bank is NOT a federal building. Carry on.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    Many Walmarts in my area have a Woodforest branch in them. If you are carrying can you walk up to the counter to make a transaction, or is that considered illegal carrying in a financial institution just like a free-standing bank?
    there is no law against carrying into a bank in NC.

But, if there were, I believe in this case, you can carry up to the counter. The bank "property" starts at the front edge of the counter...unless there is a sectioned area of the store for the bank...ie the floor changes to carpet etc...

No accurate. There is no law against open carrying into a bank in NC that isn't posted. However,

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 5; 2005‑232, s. 3.)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

But, if there were, I believe in this case, you can carry up to the counter. The bank "property" starts at the front edge of the counter...unless there is a sectioned area of the store for the bank...ie the floor changes to carpet etc...
    Huh? Then technically, since I stayed away from the counter when I robbed the place, I didn't rob the bank! And my accomplices, who guarded the door, didn't rob the bank either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I found this:

Places off-limits when carrying:
    Any location prohibited by federal law.
    A law enforcement of correctional facility.
    A building housing only state, federal or government offices.
    A financial institution.
    Any public or private school building or bus, campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic fields or other property used or owned by an edicational institution.
    Any assembly where a fee had been charged for admission or where alcoholic beverages are sold and comsumed.
    Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated
    with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any firearm.

North Carolina Concealed Carry Permit Information

Cool

These boards are full of experts that know all.

I reread the section of the law posted above and would say be safe and don't approach the bank portion in walmart.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

I was wondering this the other day when at wally world. Then again, I bank with bofa, not bank of Wal-Mart, so this doesn't really impact me.

Please don't comment just for the sake of commenting. There are people naive enough to actually believe you know what you are talking about.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    I found this:

Places off-limits when carrying:
    Any location prohibited by federal law.
    A law enforcement of correctional facility.
    A building housing only state, federal or government offices.
    A financial institution.
    Any public or private school building or bus, campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic fields or other property used or owned by an edicational institution.
    Any assembly where a fee had been charged for admission or where alcoholic beverages are sold and comsumed.
    Any other premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.
    It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated
    with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any firearm.

North Carolina Concealed Carry Permit Information

My mistake. I quickly scanned the table of contents in the NC Firearms Laws...when I should have read the corresponding pages...

Yeah, I'd have to say negative ghostrider on the Woodforest bank. At least for CC. I've wondered the same thing though. I'd rather not be the test case for it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I have never seen a sign posted other wise. However, I was carrying and sent my wife in to deposit my paycheck. The teller told my needed to ask me a question and my wife told her I was a CHL holder and was armed thats why she had come in instead of me. The teller told her it was ok if I came to the counter.
    In Texas you can carry in banks. States that don't allow that don't make much sense. If I'm depositing or withdrawing cash, that is exactly the time that I want to be armed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links