Concealed carry around children

This is a discussion on Concealed carry around children within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't real sure where to put this in this forum so moderators, move it if necessary, but recently I was emailed and asked about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry around children

Concealed carry around children

I wasn't real sure where to put this in this forum so moderators, move it if necessary, but recently I was emailed and asked about my opinions about concealed carry around children. This is a subject near and dear to my heart because my Dad drilled gun safety into my head when I was young. We've all heard the saying "don't kid proof your guns, gun proof your kids." I believe that's true, but I also believe it starts very early and needs to be done with a few things in mind. So let me share some some not so effective ideas or common mistakes I see. I recently did a show on this but also wanted to get some of your thoughts on this subject as well. Here goes...

Hiding your gun is a good idea, but not good enough.
    Kids like to explore and find new things, so hiding your gun is of limited benefit. A child may very well go through all of the drawers and cabinets in the house. Putting the gun out of reach only works until your kid learns to climb or use a ladder or stepping-stool. (Don't think your kids don't climb on the furniture just because you've never seen 'em do it.)

Don't make the mistake of thinking your child is too weak to use the gun. Large auto loading pistols will have strong slide springs that even many adults find difficult to work, so you may be tempted to leave the chamber of a gun empty on the assumption that your child won't be able to load it. Also, there are gun locks that use a strong spring or rubber band to hold the gun, on the theory that only adults will be strong enough to release the gun. Both these methods are insecure against any child larger than an infant. Your child can probably find some way to put his entire weight on the slide or the lock, usually by carrying it to a stair step and standing on it.

Basically, if your child-proofing mechanism depends on your child's lack of height, strength, or intellect and your child is beyond infancy, it's not good enough. Children spend many years being small and weak, and they learn lots of ways to compensate. They also have a lot of spare time to figure things out. Your children can probably defeat any mechanism you can. Thus, the only effective child-proofing methods are those that also work against unauthorized adults. You need real security.

I believe the safest place for your loaded concealed carry handgun is on your person. There seems to be no substitute for hunter safety courses and for taking them to the range! Take them early and often and teach them not to fear guns and also not to be curious. Make them realize they are dangerous tools that are deadly and need to be respected.

In closing though, I think anyone who thinks children and guns can't coexist safely is sorely mistaken. Those same people are robbing their children of the fun of the shooting sports that we adults enjoy and that's not fair to the kids either.

Thanks,
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

2. Remove Ads

CC around kids. That's something that could very well become complicated if not simply thought of. #1......have your firearms that are out of the safe with you at all times. This rules out the possibilities of the children finding and experimenting with any of them. #2...as you've previously stated, children and firearms education starts at home whenever it becomes necessary. You can bet your bottom tax dollar that firearms education won't happen in schools. It's an individual/parent's responsibility. #3.....CC is CC, and CC around kids may very well educate you in the best ways and means to stay concealed. The only reason anything would ever come up such as "daddy...why do you wear a gun?" would be if you were not fully responsible in the undertaking to begin with. In my opinion, sometimes folks over-think things when they don't really need to. Most of the times the answers to our most asked questions are right before us and so simple at times that they're easily overlooked. IMO, you're over-thinking things when you should be thinking in simple terms. Educate your children about firearms when the time is right for you to do so. Concealed carry and remaining concealed includes those of your family that don't need to know at the time just as if you were concealing in public. Reveal only when you feel it's time to explain and educate. In essence, there's no childproofing anything unless you are responsible for your own actions. This way....so called child-proofing is unnecessary so long as you take responsibility. The term child-proofing comes to bear when those responsible for the children fail in their responsibilities. That's the only time one could think of child-proofing anything. The ultimate responsibility lies with you, and not protecting your children from harm in what you do or how you do it. If you are fully responsible for everything you do, then child-proofing isn't necessary. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    CC around kids. That's something that could very well become complicated if not simply thought of. #1......have your firearms that are out of the safe with you at all times. This rules out the possibilities of the children finding and experimenting with any of them. #2...as you've previously stated, children and firearms education starts at home whenever it becomes necessary. You can bet your bottom tax dollar that firearms education won't happen in schools. It's an individual/parent's responsibility. #3.....CC is CC, and CC around kids may very well educate you in the best ways and means to stay concealed. The only reason anything would ever come up such as "daddy...why do you wear a gun?" would be if you were not fully responsible in the undertaking to begin with. In my opinion, sometimes folks over-think things when they don't really need to. Most of the times the answers to our most asked questions are right before us and so simple at times that they're easily overlooked. IMO, you're over-thinking things when you should be thinking in simple terms. Educate your children about firearms when the time is right for you to do so. Concealed carry and remaining concealed includes those of your family that don't need to know at the time just as if you were concealing in public. Reveal only when you feel it's time to explain and educate. In essence, there's no childproofing anything unless you are responsible for your own actions. This way....so called child-proofing is unnecessary so long as you take responsibility. The term child-proofing comes to bear when those responsible for the children fail in their responsibilities. That's the only time one could think of child-proofing anything. The ultimate responsibility lies with you, and not protecting your children from harm in what you do or how you do it. If you are fully responsible for everything you do, then child-proofing isn't necessary. Plain and simple.
    Well said!
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

I always keep my weapons in the safe except the one that I am carrying. At night, I used to put that one weapon in my nightstand drawer. Once my son started walking, I elevated it to the closet. Once he started climbing, I bought a quick access gun vault.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Well I agree, on your person is the only way to keep a gun around children. Ya never know when you're gonna need to shoot one!

Ok, that was a joke! Don't get your panties in a wad!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

When my grand kids are over all guns are locked in the safe except my carry gun.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

My children know I carry. It isn't anything out of the ordinary for them. Quite easy for them since I have a small safe mounted in the kitchen. When we come home from somewhere I always put my pistol in it. They really don't have much interest in guns yet. They see it as another adult thing, nothing interesting.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

I have a gun cabinet and two spring operated handgun safes, because I have small children. Both of my children have shot at the gun club, .22 pistol and rifle. One of the greatest satisfactions in my life was the look in the eyes of the 4 year old after squeezing off 10 rounds with the Mk III faster than most adults probably could. Of course, I was holding the barrel support and the bottom of the pistol grip. Since then both girls have shot the 10/22 on the one hundred yard range with dad either holding or helping to hold the rifle. Don't need rounds skipping or flying over the berm, or worse. Just writing reminds me how great the weather is in NC and it's time for a another trip to the range.

Thanks for the refresher course on gun safety and kids!

If there is a gun that is not in the safe, then it should be on your person.

However, children should be drilled with gun safety. You can do EVERYTHING in your power to make sure that YOUR guns are safely stored, but you can't always say the same about other parents. If your kid goes and visits someone that doesn't share the same discipline with their weapon, your child will have to know not to play with the gun and possibly need to prevent friends from doing it as well.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

I also believe in gun proofing the child.

I have two children in my life. My grandson who is four and a friends daughter who is five.

My grandson knows the difference between his toy guns and a real gun. I have taught him what a real gun can do and he knows he is not to touch one until he is old enough to start target shooting and hunting. I feel confident he will not be a problem. When I go to visit I take my carry gun off and put it on the bookcase top shelf in the living room. As with all boys he likes to rough house with grandpa and I don't want the gun on my body when he does.

As for my friends little girl I just leave my gun in the car when I go over there. They live out in the woods and her dad has plenty of firearms in the house should they be needed. He also has a nice little shooting range out behind his house which is another reason I like to go over there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post

However, children should be drilled with gun safety. You can do EVERYTHING in your power to make sure that YOUR guns are safely stored, but you can't always say the same about other parents. If your kid goes and visits someone that doesn't share the same discipline with their weapon, your child will have to know not to play with the gun and possibly need to prevent friends from doing it as well.

This is why it is so important to teach kids as early as possible about the potential dangers of firearms. My kid will never get hold of one in my house, without my supervision, but who knows what the parents of his buddy down the street do with their guns.

I was very proud of my 4 yr old last week when he was playing with some other boys and one of them started pointing a toy gun at the others and telling them he would "shoot them dead". My son told him it is NEVER safe to point a gun at someone and told him if he was going to play that way that he wouldn't play. I stood back for a minute proud and then sat them all down and talked alittle about gun safety. I have our long guns locked up along with his bb gun in a locked gun cabinet and he knows he is not to even touch the cabinet w/o mom or dad around.
    The boys now squirel hunt in the backyard with their toys guns.

Senior Moderator
    All of my guns are locked in a safe except for what I am carrying. And if I am at home it is usually a snubnose revolver in a Smartcarry.

The Smartcarry still allows me to roughhouse with my boys and not worry about losing control of my pistol
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I believe Cornered Cat had a very good article about how to introduce a child to guns. She made a deal with the child that any time the child wanted to see the gun, all he had to do was ask, and do it while Cat was supervising. She feels this removes the mystery of the gun.

Cornered Cat - The First Lesson (Kids and Gun Safety)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post

I especially ^5 the 2nd part I bolded. I think it's unrealistic to believe that 'teaching' your kids about gun safety means they'll never be curious and not disobey and not someday check out your guns on their own, esp to show their friends. Kids are kids.

However by the same token, this same foundation is what can protect them if their friends decided to disobey their gun rules at their house.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links