Any Sticky Areas for Carry in NC?

This is a discussion on Any Sticky Areas for Carry in NC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be staying in NC for a period of days (Ashville, and Bryson City). I am going over the handgun law.us info ...

I am going to be staying in NC for a period of days (Ashville, and Bryson City).

I am going over the handgun law.us info and I have some questions (I have a Florida Resident permit, which thankfully NC honors.)

This "charges admission" thing, does this mean to include like tourist type attractions like the zipline, etc tours in Bryson City that I will be doing?

Also, is carry in a establishment that serves alcohol ok? (i.e chilis etc, not a full blown over 51% income from alcohol place.)

Anything else I should be aware of ?

Edit : Damn. I see signs carry weight here and SC. I'll have to watch out for this as we don't have this issue in FL.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ROFL SQUAD; April 14th, 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Edit:
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

No to alcohol sold for consumption on premises. No to schools, govt buildings,parades, funerals, or just about anywhere you might need a gun. Must inform LEO if pulled over. Asheville is pretty safe during the day. Nights downtown are full of aggressive pan handlers, the occasional band of thugs and you do run into a lot of harmless weirdos. Pretty intense police presence combined with lots of folks out downtown during these warm nights. I think the charge admission thing means theaters, concerts, trade shows, etc. Your worst encounter will be predatory car towing. OBEY the posted signs. LOOK for obscure or hidden signs. I have never had any problems with the city parking garages. Usually well lit. Take plenty of quarters for metered parking spaces. I don't know much about Bryson City, but the farther from Asheville the locals are much more laid back.

Thank you sir!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

If you pay to get in you can't CC.

If you can buy and consume alcohol on the promises you can't CC.

I used to add, watch out for the national parks but you can CC there now.

From what I have heard Cherokee is CC friendly as well.

Watch our for the signs, but I doubt you will see many. Asheville, maybe. Bryson City, very doubtful.

It's a beautiful area, enjoy yourself. And try to get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a ride. The views are awesome. There are some closed sections around Asheville. But IIRC it's completely open from Waynesville to Cherokee.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I would suggest that you print the page from the state's AG website that shows that NC has reciprocity with FL and stick it in your wallet. Leos don't always know every state that NC has reciprocity with.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    From what I have heard Cherokee is CC friendly as well.
    I've heard mixed reports on the Cherokee Nation -- I have heard some folk having very good interaction w/ the Tribal Police and others getting cited for illegal carry. What's a concern to me is my inability to find a written policy/statement. Were I planning to carry there, I'd at less send an email asking.

The one statute that I hear the most about folk getting inadvertently crosswise on is:

Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. 14-277.2
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I've heard mixed reports on the Cherokee Nation -- I have heard some folk having very good interaction w/ the Tribal Police and others getting cited for illegal carry. What's a concern to me is my inability to find a written policy/statement. Were I planning to carry there, I'd at less send an email asking.

The one statute that I hear the most about folk getting inadvertently crosswise on is:
    Yeah, an email to the Chief of Police could not hurt. The last person I heard that contacted them was told they abide by NC law. And I know they are their own entity, but that's not unusual to default to state law instead of making it up on your own. I can't find an email address now, but here is some contact info.

Cherokee Indian Police Dept.
    468 Sequoyah Trail ( PO Box 1330)
    Cherokee, NC, 28719Phone:Office 828-497-7405 Dispatch 828-554-6168

I just tried to call and got transferred to an officer who's mail box was full. If I get an answer I'll let you know.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I saw the first posting I'd seen on a stop-and-rob tuesday night coming out of Asheville. So you'd have to watch for those, but generally I don't find many posted areas.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

From what has been posted on many threads, CC in NC is pretty safe if you are in your home, but once you hit the streets...all the petty gun laws start to cross your path....sort of...

It is a real shame that such a beautiful state and so many honest citizens have had their 2A rights trampled, and it doesn't effect the dirtbags one bit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The signs in SC only hold weight if they are legal signs. Otherwise they mean nothing.

Of couse if you're found out and are asked to leave I would suggest you leave.

Im right on the border and I carry in SC/NC daily. Ive never had a problem.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    From what has been posted on many threads, CC in NC is pretty safe if you are in your home, but once you hit the streets...all the petty gun laws start to cross your path....sort of...

It is a real shame that such a beautiful state and so many honest citizens have had their 2A rights trampled, and it doesn't effect the dirtbags one bit.
    One has to remember the reason (and its not a good reason, it could have been fixed by now) that NC has so many off-limits places for CCW is because all those restrictions pre-date any sort of legal CCW in NC for anyone but LEOs. Even LEOs were limited to concealed carry within their jurisdiction, and even then it also had to be permitted by department policy, and not all departments permitted it. My understanding is that there are still some that don't. Basically if you were a county deputy you could carry concealed off-duty in your county of jurisdiction and nowhere else in the state. A municipal officer could carry in the city limits of his employing municipality and one mine outside those limits, and nowhere else in the state. Only state officers had the legal authority to carry concealed off-duty statewide, and not all state agencies permitted that.

The law in respect to LEOs has changed in NC since the passage of the CHP law, so it could have been fixed for CHP holders as well, but it hasn't been. Thanks Raleigh!

North Carolina's justice system is also a complete joke. We don't appear to be interested in locking up even career criminals, there are plenty of them roaming around looking for victims. Luckily in my experience most of them simply victimize each other, but innocent folks do get caught in the middle far too often.

I love NC, I'm not such a fan of NC government.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Wow! have ccw here for a while now and its not bad at all. NC born and raised, no problems, average ccw laws.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Went to golden corral the other night in Gastonia. Saw a small wooden sign stating no firearms allowed, so we left and ate somewhere else. NC's cc laws are ridiculous! Until the laws are changed my shopping, entertainment and eating habits will be changed. I only go where I can legally carry and I always carry.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    Went to golden corral the other night in Gastonia. Saw a small wooden sign stating no firearms allowed, so we left and ate somewhere else. NC's cc laws are ridiculous! Until the laws are changed my shopping, entertainment and eating habits will be changed. I only go where I can legally carry and I always carry.
    You might want to make some phone calls on that one. There have been OC meets and Golden corals in Raleigh IIRC. If it's a franchise it might make not difference. But sometime the corporation does not allow stores to make policy and they will make them change it.

We had some good, solid, pro CC bills last year. Most of the ones that would apply to citizens died. The couple that applied to judges and magistrates passed, go figure.

Links