carry on school grounds in Texas

This is a discussion on carry on school grounds in Texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I took the course a year ago the instructor told us we could carry on school grounds. The only restrictions were you could not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: carry on school grounds in Texas

carry on school grounds in Texas

When I took the course a year ago the instructor told us we could carry on school grounds. The only restrictions were you could not go inside the school and you could not carry at a school sponsored event like a football game. So here is what happened, I went to pick up my daughter at the ball fields after softball practice and got pulled over leaving the lot for an expired inspection on my car. I gave the State Trooper my dl and carry permit and he asked if I was armed, I told him I was and he told me I couldn't be armed on school property. We discussed what the instructor had taught us and he let me go with no ticket. I need to know what the law is on this so I don't get in trouble at a school. I have the book but it is hard to understand all the legal wording in the law. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

In the vehicle in the parking lot and concealed is legal.
    chandler4228 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tiwood View Post
    When I took the course a year ago the instructor told us we could carry on school grounds. The only restrictions were you could not go inside the school and you could not carry at a school sponsored event like a football game. So here is what happened, I went to pick up my daughter at the ball fields after softball practice and got pulled over leaving the lot for an expired inspection on my car. I gave the State Trooper my dl and carry permit and he asked if I was armed, I told him I was and he told me I couldn't be armed on school property. We discussed what the instructor had taught us and he let me go with no ticket. I need to know what the law is on this so I don't get in trouble at a school. I have the book but it is hard to understand all the legal wording in the law. Thanks for your help.
    One thing you got to realize is that cops don't know the law.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

As long as you are on the street, sidewalk, parking lot, parking garage. or other parking area, no problem. Check PC46.035 section (f)(3)for exceptions and definition of premises. You can't go inside of ANY building or on school grounds where an athletic event or UIL event is taking place. You can't carry on a school bus either. Refer to the booklet from DPS you got with your application or contact DPS for a copy. In all cases the weapon has to be concealed however. The law was changed from the original so folks could go pick up their kids at school and not violate the law.

I'm not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. Get the book or contact a CHL instructor for best advise.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    As long as you are on the street, sidewalk, parking lot, parking garage. or other parking area, no problem. Check PC46.035 section (f)(3)for exceptions and definition of premises. You can't go inside of ANY building or on school grounds where an athletic event or UIL event is taking place. You can't carry on a school bus either. Refer to the booklet from DPS you got with your application or contact DPS for a copy. In all cases the weapon has to be concealed however. The law was changed from the original so folks could go pick up their kids at school and not violate the law.

I'm not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. Get the book or contact a CHL instructor for best advise.
    ^
    This

Detailed here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf

Thanks, I thought I was ok. The DPS trooper was wrong. I think I will keep my book in the car in case this happens again.
    BenGoodLuck and rcsoftexas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwood View Post
    Thanks, I thought I was ok. The DPS trooper was wrong. I think I will keep my book in the car in case this happens again.
    Good idea. I am an attorney and have been a TX CHL Instructor since 1995. It is true that most LE do not know the concealed carry laws. Sad thing is, DPS Troopers have no excuse, and they are more likely to know the law than are officers from most other agencies. It is clearly legal to carry on school property, as long as you're not carrying into a building, and has been since 1997. My concern has always been with the "school sponsored activity" prohibition. The statute does not define that phrase, and to my knowledge, there is not yet case law defining it. I know of no authority restricting that phrase to only school-organized or UIL sporting events, so a creative prosecutor/persecutor might view recess as a "school sponsored event." You'd likely beat the rap, but not the ride.

Check the signs on the entrances to the school properties; at least one district (Plano) has 30.06 signs on the entrances to all parking lots.

I bet that makes them feel safe!
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ag86 View Post
    Check the signs on the entrances to the school properties; at least one district (Plano) has 30.06 signs on the entrances to all parking lots.
    Yet another thing that drives me wild. Section 30.06 signs are only valid as to "premises," as premises are defined under the statute, i.e., "buildings or portions of buildings." You can't make a parking lot a premises. In fact, parking lots are expressly defined OUT of being premises under the statute. The Plano school board is getting bad legal advice, or no legal advice, or they are ignoring legal advice.

For several years, Texas Tech University had miniature 30.06 signs posted all over campus, and even along Indiana Avenue, running through campus. They were invalid for both size and location. Chief General Counsel at Tech is a friend, and when I contacted him about it, he said, "I know, I know; I've told the Regents many times." He finally got through to them, and the signs are down. Even the campus police now know that folks with CHLs can carry on campus. Some folks are educable, but it may take time and effort...
    brocktice likes this.

It takes time indeed. Why we must check our Bill of Rights at the door anytime we go onto an educational campus is beyond me.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Yet another thing that drives me wild. Section 30.06 signs are only valid as to "premises," as premises are defined under the statute, i.e., "buildings or portions of buildings." You can't make a parking lot a premises. In fact, parking lots are expressly defined OUT of being premises under the statute. The Plano school board is getting bad legal advice, or no legal advice, or they are ignoring legal advice.
    This is true for schools, but not in general. If a business wants to post their parking lots, it is perfectly legitimate. The Plano schools are invalid postings regardless of where they put the signs. Plano ISD is a government entity and as such cannot prevent CHLs from carrying in places that aren't statutorily off-limits anyway like the buildings, or the grounds when a school sponsored event is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    This is true for schools, but not in general. If a business wants to post their parking lots, it is perfectly legitimate. The Plano schools are invalid postings regardless of where they put the signs. Plano ISD is a government entity and as such cannot prevent CHLs from carrying in places that aren't statutorily off-limits anyway like the buildings, or the grounds when a school sponsored event is taking place.
    I agree. Thanks for adding that. Additionally, the "quasi-prohibited premises," like hospitals, churches, nursing homes, and amusement parks can't make non-premises prohibited areas by posting 30.06 signs. Some local hospitals here had posted signs on their parking gagages, and we got that taken care of pretty easily.

I wasn't sure about the "quasi-prohibited" places since they now have to post. Thanks for that info.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post

For several years, Texas Tech University had miniature 30.06 signs posted all over campus, and even along Indiana Avenue, running through campus. They were invalid for both size and location. Chief General Counsel at Tech is a friend, and when I contacted him about it, he said, "I know, I know; I've told the Regents many times." He finally got through to them, and the signs are down. Even the campus police now know that folks with CHLs can carry on campus. Some folks are educable, but it may take time and effort...
    That's good info, I always thought of premises as Buildings and adjacent lands as premises. Could you please tell me what statue says that? Knowledge is power. I'll go look it up, because our school board uses their parking lots as premises also. I don't think it's a fight I really want to take on at this time, but as stated, knowledge is power. Thanks.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links