Going to the Memphis Zoo on Saturday...

This is a discussion on Going to the Memphis Zoo on Saturday... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me, Wife and my 2 y.o. will be making a trip to great metropolis of Memphis on Saturday with 2 friends and their 2 y.o. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to the Memphis Zoo on Saturday...

Going to the Memphis Zoo on Saturday...

Me, Wife and my 2 y.o. will be making a trip to great metropolis of Memphis on Saturday with 2 friends and their 2 y.o. and it looks like I won't be carrying due the zoo being in Overton Park and being owned by the City. Wish me luck!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What, no carry on city property or in parks? Good job law makers.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    We have preemption except for local government's recreational property. City hall, for example, has a posting requirement to legally ban carry. However, the same city can ban carry in parks without a posting requirement. I think Memphis did this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I searched here and elsewhere on the interweb and it looks like a no go, fo sho. I hate that, I've had a hankering for a Meerkat Manwich!

Memphis can be a tough place. My past expierence there is a reason I carry.
    Be safe, carry and be aware.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

+1 Sandbagger. My spidey sense is always humming in Memphis. Good luck ofdesp!
    Molon Labe

Have you been their before? I went in the 80's while driving cross country. You have to drive through some bad looking areas to get their; at least from I40. I would carry and lock the gun in the car while in the Zoo.

Senior Moderator
    Memphis is a zoo, I have never felt safe in that city.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Well, the trip went off without a hitch. We arrived right at 9:00 am, opening time. Got the very front parking spot, hardly anyone there. What was there was mostly families. Really didn't see any teenagers, trouble-makers, etc. By 1:00pm, the masses had started to assemble and the 2 y.o.'s had about all they could stand so we got out while the getting was good.
    I was a bit concerned with the apparent lack of security. I don't remember seeing a single "guard" anywhere. All in all, a good trip. We'll probably go back again next year...

VIP Member
    Glad to hear you had a good time, stay safe.

Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    What, no carry on city property or in parks? Good job law makers.
    They were probably afraid you may shoot an "animal" if you had the opportunity to defend yourself.

Just went to the Ft. Worth Zoo on Friday and they did have 1 guard.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Glad your visit was good. This happened a couple of weeks ago.

From the Memphis Commercial Appeal...

There will be no more free Tuesdays during March at the Memphis Zoo, one of several new policies designed to avoid a repeat of Tuesday's fracas at the zoo and Overton Park.

Also, no one 16 or younger will be admitted to the zoo without an adult age 21 or older on free Tuesdays.

The policies go into effect next Tuesday.

Admission is free on Tuesdays after 2 p.m. for Tennessee residents with state-issued identification or current college or military ID.

"During March, especially during spring breaks, we're often close to capacity by the end of the day when free day starts," said Chuck Brady, zoo president and CEO. "We're eliminating that possibility. We don't want to have another occurrence like we had last Tuesday."

Spring break for Memphis City Schools combined with the free admission policy resulted in more than 22,000 people entering the zoo Tuesday afternoon. Fights broke out, visitors were evicted and shots were fired near the entrance to Overton Park, which had to be cleared by police.

"We want a visit to our zoo to be an active experience where you enjoy the wildlife and different aspects of the facility," Brady said. "We're not a place where people hang out. That's not our mission and that distracts from other visitors enjoying the experience."

As part of the new free-Tuesday policy, adults 21 and older can bring in no more than five children 16 and younger.

"During free day we have people who bring in large numbers of people. It makes for a situation where they don't have enough supervision," Brady said.

The zoo has also worked with the Memphis Police Department to establish a capacity of 10,000 visitors inside the zoo at any one time each day. It will use its Web site, social media sites Facebook and Twitter, along with signs at the park entrances to alert visitors when the facility is approaching capacity.

No one with the Memphis Police Department was available for comment Friday.

Historically, there was no admission charge for the zoo, Brady said. When the facility first began charging admission, Saturday mornings were free. Free day moved to Monday afternoons about 25 years ago, and was changed to Tuesdays about 15 years ago, he said.

Capacity limits inside the zoo will also help with overcrowding in Overton Park, said Martha Kelly, president of the nonprofit advocacy organization Park Friends Inc.

"I think with the policies the zoo has enacted on limiting attendance to what they have capacity for, it's unlikely that the park itself will have an overflow crowd like that," Kelly said.

The zoo is also re-emphasizing its existing policies against profane language, visible underwear and clothing that promotes or displays profanity, violence, drugs, alcohol or criminal activity.
    Proud NRA member

Well glad you all had a good time.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Memphis is a zoo, I have never felt safe in that city.
    The most dangerous animals are on the outside of the zoo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quit while you are ahead and go somewhere else next time! I was born and raised in memphis. I lived there for 50 years until I was finally ran out by the infidels. I have since retreated to Ms. where I will make my final stand. Its a shame because memphis used to be a fine place to live...but no more. There is no hope for memphis it will never return......SemperFi
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links