Defensive Carry banner

Removal of restrictions & credible threats

2K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  fastk9dad 
#1 ·
I was wondering what reasons people might give to the issuing judge why they need restrictions removed from their permit. This question is aimed at those who are not in fear from anyone past or present and can find no viable reason why their life would be in danger. After speaking with the County Clerk's office on the matter, she suggested that perhaps one might travel late at night or work away from home a couple days a week. To me, these are not particularly exception circumstances but may e acceptable enough to a judge. What reasons have our forum members given in order to achieve this goal?

#2 ·
Thank god I don't live somewhere that you have to justify your reasons for wanting to exercise a right.

Perhaps you might be able to point out recent incidents in your area that being armed could have resulted in a different outcome.

#5 ·
Wow! Not that I take for granted living in a "shall issue" state, but when I read a post like handgunner's I have to stop and truly appreciate not having to justify my constitutional right to bear arms. Thank you Georgiacarry.org!

Good luck HG.

#6 ·
If you already have a permit, what restrictions do you have on it?:wave:

#9 ·
It's New York. His restricted permit currently only allows him to possess a handgun, not to carry it. He has to show a "need" to have it changed to an unrestricted permit (which allows both possession and carry.)

#10 ·
You might be able to locate some crime stats from your neighborhood, Some news articles about recent crimes in the area, then add in the late night long distance commute from home stuff.

You make deposits of large amounts of money..$20 is a large amount to me.

Your a mugger and your fear arrest..OK, that one will not work

I just read the code..sounds like it would be easier to just move...

#11 ·
How about:

1. Crime in your neighborhood.
2. Crime on routes you take to and from work.
3. Hours you work after dark.
4. Crime in area where you work.
5. To protect wife and/or children, especially children.
6. Crime in areas where you take children to daycare.
7. Extended response times of Law Enforcement in your area.
8. A previous incident in your life or life of a family member instilling fear and need for protection in your heart.
10. Over the road travel.

Maybe some of these might help. I think all or a combination of some would be presentable to have restriction lifted. JMO

#15 ·
What county is this? Do you have to write a letter or see the judge in person? I had to do both! In the letter I just wrote I wanted to carry for self protection since bad things happen to good people all the time and that cops, as good as they are, can't be everywhere all the time.

When I met her in person I just said I wanted to carry to protect myself and my family.

She said since I had a clean record she saw no reason to deny my request and removed the restrictions.

#22 ·
What county is this? Do you have to write a letter or see the judge in person? I had to do both!
I did both also. I think part of it was the judge wanted to make sure I was serious about carrying all the time, and didn't just want to have the restrictions removed for occasional carry.

On a more positive note, if your judge is reluctant to remove restrictions on concealed carry, their term is only 10 years. Find a pro gun candidate for county judge and work to get them elected.

We're restoring our right to carry one judge at a time. NYC is a lost cause, though.

#18 ·
Sounds like New York. I had the restriction "Business Carry" removed after one year in New York, mostly because I'd had the permit for a year and not had any charges against me for anything. Technically, I put down I was getting older and there was crime in the area and one real doozy: in the past a resident in my dwelling was under federal protection as the possible target of an assassin, who had already killed a business associate - he had used a high-power rifle. Living on the premises, I could easily be taken for the target and had for certain other reasons, felt unsafe even though this situation had been in the past.

The reasons though were really secondary, it is common after a year of restrictions for them to be removed. My county is Erie by the way.

Restrictions are county ordinances, not state Gun Law; they are something the state allows, if counties wish, to put on the state permit which is for unrestricted carry. Some counties do, some don't. Many that do, remove them after a time, if you ask. Check others in your county for precise info - that is, if you're talking about NY State.

On the positive side in New York, once you have an unrestricted permit, for the majority of the state: it is for life.

#19 ·
Does this Judge hear any criminal cases? What's he listen to all day everyday? :rant:

#20 ·
School Shootings (IL, VA, WA, AL, MI, CA)
Ft Hood
Luby's cafeteria (TX)
Church shootings (WI, CO, KY, MD)
Mall shootings (UT)

The fact crime happens everywhere...and you go everywhere. Time of day is not a factor as the shootings listed above happened during regular daylight hours. I would go through your local paper's police blotter for your city/town, and neighboring towns....that is where you live. Why should you be limited in protecting yourself?

ETA: What Hiram25 said!....

#23 ·
What county? Some counties will grant a restriction removal after taking a specific CCW course.

My county doesn't have that but I'm going to try and take the course anyway and use the other counties and judges approval as precedent for cause, among some other things.

#25 ·
I live in Ulster County, just north of Orange and a world away from the City. My original permit was Orange and I made a request to the judge there also. Got lectured at in front of the whole courtroom and 30 days to come up with a "legitimate" reason why he should remove restrictions.

I agree with the idea of wanting to be prepared "just in case", but that doesn't fly too well in the face of liberal judges. I declined to give a written statement at the time as I couldn't think of anything genuine to write. While I realize (as much as anyone else) that threats exist and life is just waiting to kick you in the nuts, I do not walk around paranoid, merely cautious. I do not travel any place armed that I wouldn't go unarmed. I'm no cowboy and do not feel in any way stronger, faster, or more superior than if I were armed with nothing more than a sharp pencil. Crime can occur anywhere at any time to anyone, regardless of the local property tax rate.

I travel away from home much of the time, drive late into the night, through sparsely populated areas and I am not afraid. I make cash bank deposits and make all necessary precautions against theft that I can and I'm still not afraid. I interact with many unsavory characters on a regular basis and have avoided dangerous situations with the use of my head, 11 years in the business and 38 years of life experience - never a gun. So, Your Honor, what do I have to do to be truly in fear of my life that I may legitimately carry a gun for protection?

The Defense rests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.