CCW in CA?

This is a discussion on CCW in CA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe this is a dumb question but can a non-resident get a CCW in California? Also what hoops would i have to jump through?...

Thread: CCW in CA?

CCW in CA?

Maybe this is a dumb question but can a non-resident get a CCW in California? Also what hoops would i have to jump through?

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs down

From http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf :

California does not issue Non-Resident Permit/Licenses.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I think it's almost impossible for a resident of California to get a cc permit. I don't think you'll have much luck as a non-resident?

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question but can a non-resident get a CCW in California? Also what hoops would i have to jump through?
    Of course, concealed carry exists in California. Non-resident, though? Not as far as I know.

With CHL, the determination is at the whim of the county Sheriff where you reside. Many of them have no ability to accept that armed citizens is a good thing. In terms of carry, you simply need to pick the right county. I've never lived in a "border" county of a nearby state, so I'm uncertain whether any non-res CHL's have ever been issued. Somehow I doubt it.

If doing residency and going the CHL route ... To find a "good" one, in that regard, head here: CalGuns.net.

Beyond simply getting the nod to carry, there are also a whole host of other little potholes placed at your feet. You need to be facile at reading the statutes, if you're to stay out of jail. If you're going to get a CA CHL, I would also suggest picking up this book, by John Machtinger: How to Own a Gun (California) and Stay Out of Jail.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

alright...thanks for the info.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Great info given. There is no non-resident CCW in Calif & it all depends on the county you reside in if you are a resident. Also, as would be expected, Calif does not accept reciprocity, either. Either you live in a "friendly" county or are LE.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Indeed, here in CA I do feel lucky to have my CCW.

Links