First LEO Encounter while CCing

This is a discussion on First LEO Encounter while CCing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it finally happened. On my way in to work this morning I saw the pretty blue lights appear in my rear view mirror. In ...

Thread: First LEO Encounter while CCing

Well, it finally happened. On my way in to work this morning I saw the pretty blue lights appear in my rear view mirror. In the six or seven months I have been CCing, I had never been stopped while CCing before, so I was curious to see how things would work out. I was crawling through traffic at a small town stop light (yes, the only stop light in town), so I knew I couldn't be speeding.

When the LEO came to my window, we made small talk as I handed him my drivers license, proof of insurance, and CCL. He asked me if I was CCing, to which I said yes. He ask where I was CCing, and I replied in my right front pocket. He asks "Oh, what are you carrying?" I told him in the summer months when I can wear shorts and flip flops, I always carry my Ruger LCP .380. He said "Oh, I've got one too. That's my summer off-duty gun. I love it, you can just throw it in a pocket and forget its there."

I told him I had heard from some LEO's that the LCP .380 was considered too small for them to carry as an off duty gun. He said they were allowed to carry anything bigger than a .38, and the .380 was considered to be in that category.

He finally tells me why I was pulled over, that my tags had expired and I needed to update them. With that he told me to stay safe and have a nice day. All in all a great encounter, and I appreciate the LEO being so professional. Cheers to the Hurricane PD in Hurricane, WV.

Sounds good. Glad he was casual with it. Are you required to notify in WV if approached by a LEO? I havn't found anything on that. Maybe I havn't looked hard enough. I'm not far from WV state line and have ventured into the state myself, so would like to know for sure. Wouldn't want to be in trouble for not notifying you know.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Congratulations. Sounds like a very positives experience. There is a survey out today that shows "police in general are supporting CCW". Glad to hear you ran into one of the ones that don't have a problem with those of us that carry.
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Are you required to notify in WV if approached by a LEO?
    No, you are not required to notify in the state of WV, but it instantly shows up when the LEO runs your information. So I figured it would just be better to let him know before rather than after the fact.

That's cool. Sometimes it sparks a conversation such as yours I guess, and they change their intended ticket into a verbal notification/warning so it seems.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Amazing, I was so looking forward to a story about being throw across the hood and placed in handcuffs.

No ticket+ Nice Leo= Great day

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Amazing, I was so looking forward to a story about being throw across the hood and placed in handcuffs.

No ticket+ Nice Leo= Great day
    This would be my luck...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Glad it worked out for you
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

Administrator
    Sounds fair enough to me.

I'm waiting for the first poster to say that the LEO had it all wrong. Once he found out you are a permit holder, he should have sent you on your way with a bouquet of flowers and a teddy bear.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sounds fair enough to me.

I'm waiting for the first poster to say that the LEO had it all wrong. Once he found out you are a permit holder, he should have sent you on your way with a bouquet of flowers and a teddy bear.
    You guys keep bouquets of flowers handy?

I know that many LEO's around here have teddy bears for kids in stress situations, but never heard of keeping flowers handy.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Teddy bear maybe, flowers--no way!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links