New to CC

This is a discussion on New to CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMHO best combination of: reliability, concealable, capacity, power, accuracy, big enough for extended range sessions, practice ammo only $10.00 more per 100 than 9MM, parts ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to CC

IMHO best combination of: reliability, concealable, capacity, power, accuracy, big enough for extended range sessions, practice ammo only $10.00 more per 100 than 9MM, parts available everywhere, easy to work on/ maintain yourself, longevity per dollar spent?

I recommend the one and only G23.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

2. Remove Ads

I carry an XD9SC. For me, it's the best combo of everything I want in a gun.

Thanks all for your input, its much appreciated! As of right now, I think I've narrowed it down to the Glock 19/23, FNP-9/40 and XDm SC (I havent gotten a chance to look at one yet, but I will). After holding and shooting the M&P9c, I just didnt like how it felt. I've got big hands and I like being able to wrap all my fingers around the grip instead of having my pinky hang off.

On a side note, does anyone know when Glock is releasing their Gen 4 pistols for 19/23? Also, anyone know about the release dates on the FNH FNX 9/40? I keep hearing about them but cannot find any more information on when they'll be out.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWilson View Post
    After holding and shooting the M&P9c, I just didnt like how it felt. I've got big hands and I like being able to wrap all my fingers around the grip instead of having my pinky hang off.
    Welcome from the Treasure Coast!

The M&P 9C comes with a mag extension which you obviously didn't get a chance to try.

Without. . . . . With

It also comes with three different grip sizes (backstraps).

Maybe you can try them out at a gun show. There's one within driving range every couple of weeks around here.

I hope you'll reconsider. It's a great firearm.

BTW, you know there's no carrying on campus, right?
    Last edited by onetuza; April 17th, 2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: I felt like it.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    Welcome from the Treasure Coast!

The M&P 9C comes with a mag extension which you obviously didn't get a chance to try.

Without With

It also comes with three different grip sizes.

Maybe you can try them out at a gun show. There's one within driving range every couple of weeks around here.

I hope you'll reconsider. It's a great firearm.

BTW, you know there's no carrying on campus, right?
    Yeah, the M&P9c I tried did not have a mag extension on it, however next time I head to a shop, Ill see if they have one with the extension on it so i can see how it feels. Also, unfortunately there is no CC on campus, but I'm a part of the Knights Rifle Association and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus group trying to get some reform for students like me who wish to CC. I think its a good idea, even if it requires some additional training etc.

Thanks to everyone for their input! After trying out many different 9mm and .40 pistols, I finally made a decision and bought my first one. I had it down to the M&P9/40c and the Glock 19/23, but in the end, the M&P9c won. I finally got a chance to make it to a range where they have the M&P9c for rental (with the grip extension) and I loved the feeling of this gun in my hand, fits just right. The dealer (East Orange Shooting Sports in Orlando) had a 2 day old trade-in from a gentleman who barely used it, and for a great deal. The M&P9c came with 4 12rd mags and 1 17rd extended mag, as well as upgraded sights (2 green and a red front sight--forgive me, I dont know the name of em) all for $590 including tax and the background check. all in all i'm extremely happy with my purchase, now just to take it out to the range more often

Thanks again for everyone's help!

(P.S. sorry for the not-so-great photos)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CGWilson; April 23rd, 2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: forgot a photo!

For me, the M&P is softer shooting and just all around more enjoyable than the Glock. I've owned a number of both, but never an XD. For me, the bore axis is too high on the XD. The M&P allows a very high grip, getting you much closer to the bore and in turn, shoots nice and soft.

It's all personal preference. You'll have Glock diehards here that swear by Glock, but that means nothing if the blocky grip doesn't feel right in your hand. You can't go wrong with any of the three. For me, the M&P midsize if I could only have one. The compact Glocks and M&P's are nice, just not the best gun for a long day at the range or for taking a class, which I STRONGLY recommend.

I carry 1911's because I shoot them best and they conceal better than any Glock or M&P for me. Of the two, the M&P is feels more like a 1911 which is what I like.

Since you've been able to rent them, try an M&P beside a Glock and buy the one that feels best in your hand. Both will conceal just fine in even a t-shirt and jeans with the right holster. If you don't want to go for a nice leather holster like the Milt Sparks VMII (my choice) or an Alessi or Del Fatti, I'd absolutely go for a Raven Concealment which can be worn inside the waistband or out with the optional clips/loops, Crossbreed Supertuck or a Comp-Tac - in that order for me.

Good luck and remember, no matter what you decide, you'll most definitely start looking at your next option within a very short time! Enjoy the process, it never ends.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Well, I guess it would serve me well to start reading past the first few posts!! You made the right choice, enjoy it....
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Welcome from Florida. I normally carry a Glock 19 but will be switching back to a Kimber Custom TLE II .45 ACP. Although I must say that my Glock is 15 years old has never failed once.
    Kimber Custom TLE II, GLOCK 30SF, GLOCK 19C, Walther PK380
    Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro (Greyhound) Holster
    Mega Arms Billet AR-15's
    NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links