New to CC

New to CC

This is a discussion on New to CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the forum here from Central Florida, and I was hoping to get some insight from some veteran concealed carriers on guns of choice. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to CC

Cool New to CC

New to the forum here from Central Florida, and I was hoping to get some insight from some veteran concealed carriers on guns of choice. From browsing through a few other threads, it seems to be a consensus that Glock 19/23, XDm-9/-40 and the M&P-9/-40 are excellent choices. I am looking to make my first gun purchase (although I've been going to ranges for a few months now renting weapons) that I will eventually be using as a CCW and a range pistol (say a month or two from now for the concealed permit).

I know Glock, SA and S&W are well respected and are very reliable (and moderately priced from my college student budget), but I wanted to see what everyone on here recommended for a CC/Range pistol in 9mm or .40? A local gun shop/range here in Orlando (East Orange Shooting Sports) recently got in an FNH FNP-9 and although I havent shot it yet, it feels great in hand and is cheaper than even a Glock 19; any word on FNH? As much as I'd love to purchase one for CC and another for range, I just couldnt afford that, so I need a hybrid thats good for both.

Thanks for your help!

I carry the glock 22 40 cal model. I absolutely love it. I especially like the round capacity. Many will say that a full size weapon is hard to CC, but I respectfully disagree. I carry mine 14-16 hours a day and cant complain one bit. Good luck on your search. Find what works for you and dont worry about the flack you might take for it.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Welcome from the Space Coast, I carry a Colt Officers in .45ACP
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

I would recommend getting a gun in 9mm for concealed carry and range use. Ammo costs less so that means you can practice more on your budget. I have never owned or shot any FNP series guns, so I can't speak for them. Of the choices you mentioned I would pick the XDm-9mm. Awesome gun. It has the greatest magazine capacity of 19+1, too. If you search around, you'll see that there's lots of us that carry one around concealed without a problem. Including me.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I started off with an XD9 SC. 9mm is nice and cheap to practice with, and the XD9 is very reliable and will eat anything you put in it (at least with my experience). The XD9 SC is very compact and easy to conceal. Now, I've moved up to a 1911 in the flavor of .45cal.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The FN is a fine gun as well as the XD.
    I went with 40S&W in my guns because I wanted more punch than 9mm.
    Something to consider, around here 9mm is almost as hard to find as 38-Special and 380. 40S&W is always, always available. I don't know why except there just must not be as many 40 owners as other calibers. Good luck in your search.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I carry a Kahr Arms P9, IWB. Remember this, if you carry you want something you can carry all day. Big and heavy becomes even bigger and heavier by the end of the day. If you are a student in Florida I woud guess you are in shorts, Tee shirts most of the time. Big and heavy doesn't do very well with shorts i have found.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

AzB
    I have an FNP and a SA XD .40. Both are great guns and are very accurate and reliable.

I like the FNP a little better because it has full ambidextrous controls and I like to train/shoot with both hands. Both guns will shoot and shoot and shoot with no issues, even if you don't clean them on a regular basis. Great choices for a SD carry firearm.

I also agree with going with .40. Packs a bit more punch than 9mm in essentially the same frame. Locally, .40 ammo is almost the exact same price as 9mm, so that's a non-issue.

FWIW, I also have a subcompact 9mm I use for times when I need deep concealment.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

That being said, at times I've carried a Bersa Thunder .380, a Taurus 85UL, a Keltec PF-9, a Steyr S-40, and a Springfield XD9SC. I will recommend any of them, depending on your need. I currently carry either a Springfield XD9SC or a Steyr S-40 exclusively.

9mm is fine for range and SD if needed. 40 cal works as well or better also. 1911 .45 cal is in a world of its own and has a loyal following.

As for pistols that are already mentioned, all are great choices. Don't overlook H&K P2000 in 9mm and Sig Sauer 226/229 in either 9mm or 40 caL.

Whatever your final choice is, make sure it feels good for you and put a lot of "steel on target" at the range and with your chosen self defense ammo.

Enjoy!
    Don
    U.S. Army Retired
    74-97
    AMVETS Rider
    Patriot Guard Rider

I have an XDm 9mm and love it. However, I almost never CC it because it is so big. It's great for home defense and range use, but that very long grip is problematic, though not impossible, to hide. Also, the 4.5 inch barrel will extend beyond many cover garments.

Take a look at the XD Subcompact, rather than the XDm. I personally prefer the XD or XDm trigger to the Glocks, and the M&P's trigger to the XDs but there are several million happy Glock users. They are a very reliable gun and that is job one for the gun.

I've shot all the guns you mentioned. Of those, I like the S&W M&P 9c, but that's just me.

My primary carry is a 4" 1911 which is above the price range of the others you mentioned.

As much as I'd love to purchase one for CC and another for range, I just couldnt afford that, so I need a hybrid thats good for both.
    Even if your budget were unlimited, you should spend some regular range time with your carry gun. With that said, the Glock, XD and M&P you've mentioned are all good choices for concealed carry. I can't speak for the FNH.

My first recommendation is always to carry something you shoot well. If you shoot them all about the same, then I recommend 9mm. It's cheaper that .40 or .45, has higher capacity in the same size frame, and it's a good defensive round.

Happy shopping, and enjoy whatever you decide on!
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

I carry a CZ, either my P-01 (9mm) or my P-06 (.40). Both are reliable, accurate and affordable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware.

While your shopping for your cc weapon, take a look at the SA XD40 SC, it's a great little gun.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You live in the Orlando, I call it 'an extra mag town'. You need to make BIG holes in a hurry...look at the Glock-36 (.45).
    Just pick one up and let your 'hand' think about it for a while.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links