No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This is a discussion on No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ya don't hold a traveling gospel show in church parking lots. You take it where the gospel is needed. We can use all the positive ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

Ya don't hold a traveling gospel show in church parking lots. You take it where the gospel is needed. We can use all the positive support for gun law reform we can get here in NC so maybe we can get some change. As for the "it will get the locals to get upset over their silly laws and become politically active...?" thought, it's not that we aren't politically active it's just taking time. We are gaining ground and can always use the help.

Just remember if you don't go because of a outdated law, you let the anti gun crowd win. Bring your voice and be part of the answer.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    There is no admission charge. NRA members show their card and they get in for free. Uniformed military an LEO's get in for free too.
    I honestly think this is less of an issue than the convention center rules. I was thinking about going to the local gun show tomorrow. I would pay $7 to get in. And I could OC my G19, though it has to be unloaded. Not the best situation, but not a total ban either. So, I think the NRA could have found a way around the convention rules, I just wonder if they even tried? I'm still not sure if I am going or not.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Very unfortunate, I don't take lightly the suppression of my 2A rights.

Why would one surrender their RKBA to go and support the NRA convention?

"Out of touch" is an under statement!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why did the NRA select this state location for such a large and major event, knowing that state law is as such?

- Janq
    Maybe for that exact reason, big enough turnout, they might be able to push to get that changed if they can show the support is there. Just my thoughts on that.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I would love to go to an NRA covention if they ever held one in north Texas,southern Oklahoma,anywhere within driving distance thats not half the country away. sj

I hear a lot of rationalizing the NRA decision here. Holding the convention where RTKBA is suppressed is not a "subtle gesture' it is a step back on their own principles. After screaming for years how large assemblies should not be a reason to disarm us, they turn around and do it. It is now time to back up the " If they don't want me armed, I don't want to go there" clause. If they don't get a good showing, maybe they will get the message.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Lead Moderator
    Carry has never been a prerequisite for where the convention is held. The only one I ever attended (years ago) was at a hotel in the heart of Washington DC!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've never had the opportunity to attend an NRA convention. Do people normally OC while attending these conventions?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The right to bear arms doesn't apply everywhere, everytime. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say you have the right to bear arms "except in gov't building, police stations, etc." where we all know we can't. There are limits in every civilized populace. This is just another of those places where carrying is not permitted and you can elect to attend or not.

I seriously doubt the NRA blindly pulled Charlotte out of a hat full of names of cities. Being from Charlotte, there's no doubt in my mind that city officials didn't present some sort of "offering" to get the NRA to hold the convention there. Charlotte officials don't do anything unless there's some benefit (tourist dollars, sales taxes, etc.).

Is the NRA trying to make a point about gun restrictions by holding the convention there? Is it doing more harm than good by thumping the 2A rights in a place that restricts them? Will its actions anger more loyal members than convert Anti-s?

Who knows. I'm sure someone will get paid big bucks to conduct some survey and come up with a statistic.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    ...I get to carry so rarely and I was looking forward OC'ing to show off my rig and check out everyone else's toys as well....
    Not to ruffle feathers here, but this worries me. Even if done correctly by GunnyBunny (which I assume), GB's statement suggests that:
    • In a large crowd there will be others who want to show off their rigs, too;
    • Some of these folks will be on the low side of the 'proper gun handling technique' bell curve;
    • When one guy hands a weapon to another, a goof by either one could be dangerous;
    • Thus effectively the numbers of safety-dummies could be as much as doubled;
    • The more that firearms are handled the greater is the likelihood of a negligent discharge;
    • In a crowd, you would expect injuries if a firearm were discharged;
    • Can you imagine the headline, "Negligent Discharge at an NRA Convention Kills Man"? The media would have a feeding frenzy!

Is it possible that the NRA chose the location so they could hide behind the local law in hopes of preventing injury and avoiding a setback to THE CAUSE? Sure, we want every capable person to carry, but we want their rigs to stay in their holsters unless 'in use'!

When folks in authority do what APPEAR from my vantage to be dumb things, rather than the decision-maker being an idiot it's more likely that I just can't see the threat that he does. Just wonderin'...

Again, I'm not worried about GunnyBunny, a frequent contributor whose posts I read with interest. And I am a member of the NRA.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by armado View Post
    I've never had the opportunity to attend an NRA convention. Do people normally OC while attending these conventions?
    I did in Phoenix last year.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That's like having the weight watchers convention at a Krispy Cream store.
    !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    Well, to each his own, I guess. I notified them that because of this location, I was canceling my attendance and suggested that in the future, they be better prepared in choosing a site.
    !!!!!!!!! I canceled my volunteer services.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Not to ruffle feathers here, but this worries me. Even if done correctly by GunnyBunny (which I assume), GB's statement suggests that:
    SNIP
    Not a problem at VCDL events. Even the press comments on the lack of it being a problem (likely, IMHO, because they came looking/expecting it to be).

See: Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

IMHO -- That's all that is needed!

Any additional prior-restraint is inherently anti-RKBA.

See my comments in other threads about "Yes, but....", I'm Pro-2A, but...." etc.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    That state law is unfortunate, but I am pleased to see NRA following it. Like it or not, it is the law. Maybe it will get the locals to get upset over their silly laws and become politically active...?
    So I guess if the citizens of Illinois don't complain and follow the "law" they will eventually change their policy on no CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The right to bear arms doesn't apply everywhere, everytime. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say you have the right to bear arms "except in gov't building, police stations, etc." where we all know we can't.
    Oooppss! You're right! The Constitution only says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED".

Look up the word infringed.

Now, we all (mostly) obey the laws we live under. Problem is, some of those laws, even though we abide by them, are not necessarily constitutional. They exist, but it don't make 'em right.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    IIRC NRA pulled out of Cincinnati (?) a few years ago precisely because they voted wrong on a gun issue.

Last year they held the event in a very pro-gun location.

Seems pretty inconsistent and I agree they should only hold their conventions in pro-2A locations.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VCDL here in VA protested this vehemently with the NRA, but the NRA leadership apparently doesn't care about the rank and file's concerns. That message came across loud and clear. I'm still an NRA member so that I can use their range. But, my money goes to GOA, CCRKBA, and VCDL because they don't compromise our 2A civil rights like the NRA does when it suits them. I live a day's drive from Charlotte, but I won't be there. I'll be someplace else where I can carry.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links