No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? - Page 4

No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This is a discussion on No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chevy-SS I can sorta understand the logic. If they allowed CCW and/or OC, then most people attending would probably waltz in with ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 125
  1. #46
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    4,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I can sorta understand the logic. If they allowed CCW and/or OC, then most people attending would probably waltz in with a loaded gun, and the potential for an accidental discharge would 'shoot' through the roof!

    -
    I attended the 2009 convention in Phoenix. Lots of OC and one can only speculate about the number of CC. The estimated attendance was 65,000 and there were, to the best of my knowledge, no issues.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.


  2. #47
    Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    No higher than the potential at the local farmer's market or any other gathering. That is, so long as the stray idiot keeps his/her concealed firearm concealed, amongst so many admirers. That would raise the odds a bit.
    I must respectfully disagree with you. This type of gathering typically would draw far more CCWs or OC folks then your typical farmers market or other type of gathering, thus raising those numbers of idiots that would show up. I understand your point, I just disagree with your reason.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

  3. #48
    Member Array Sgt Z Squad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Democratic Socialist Connecticut
    Posts
    120
    Why would they give their business to a facility like this? They have some political sway don't they?
    Certifed Sig Classic Pistol Armorer
    USMC: 1975-1979
    Lawdog: 1980 to ???
    Soldier of Christ: January 2000 to Eternity
    A Sheepdog who has found the Shepherd
    Romans 5:8

  4. #49
    Senior Member
    Array Jeff F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    South Central Wyoming
    Posts
    641
    I can sorta understand the logic. If they allowed CCW and/or OC, then most people attending would probably waltz in with a loaded gun, and the potential for an accidental discharge would 'shoot' through the roof!
    You have to be kidding right? Have you been to a gathering with a large number of people with guns ever? I attend events where there are at times hundreds of gun owners actually handling loaded guns and have never witnessed or heard of a negligent discharge ever. As a whole most gun owners are responsible adults and if someone is around them that apears to not be they are corrected or removed by those of us who know better. The last NRA convention had a large number of people carrying and lo and behold no one got shot, as a matter of fact didn't see anyone draw a gun from a holster the whole time I was there.

    Now as far as Charlotte goes, as you can see by my signature line I'm a life NRA member. I do not in any way support their decision to have the convention here. I will not attend and will let the NRA know of my displeasure in their decision to have the convention here. Pittsburgh in 2011 will be more gun friendly.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
    __________________________________
    NRA Endowment Life Member

  5. #50
    Member Array TheFreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - Concord
    Posts
    161
    Hmmmm... considering this I might not attend. I don't want to have to leave my weapon locked in my car, where thieves will know there is the potential for weapons to be locked in vehicles at an NRA convention, where gun carrying members cannot even carry their guns. They could have had it somewhere else, or gotten the rules relaxed.

    Give up your right to bear arms and go to the 2010 NRA convention in Charlotte... seems pretty hypocritical to me...

    Anyone have an address I can write and complain about this?
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

  6. #51
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    4,016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    Anyone have an address I can write and complain about this?
    You can try this................

    NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Contact Us
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

  7. #52
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036

    Exclamation My Email...

    to the volunteer coordinator & the general contact for the AM

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: SNIP
    To: "Eggers, Dennis" <DEggers@nrahq.org>; <AM_Response@nrahq.org>
    Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 11:06 AM
    Subject: Re: Volunteers Needed For 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte

    I had planned to volunteer to help at the 2010 NRA convention in Charlotte, as it is fairly near my home.

    However, I don't like the idea of having to leave my weapon locked in my car, where thieves will know there is the potential for weapons to be in vehicles, nor do I want to support activities where CHP carrying members cannot even carry their sidearms.

    Give up my right to bear arms in order to go to the convention seems pretty hypocritical to me.

    Hence, I will neither volunteer nor attend.


    Dave Hicks
    Life Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  8. #53
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    You have to be kidding right? .... ...
    No, I'm not kidding



    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    ... Have you been to a gathering with a large number of people with guns ever? ........
    Yes, I have attended many competitive shooting events. We all had guns. Often times, more than one gun.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    ....... As a whole most gun owners are responsible adults .... ...
    You see, right there is the key word - "most". The internet is full of YouTube videos showing accidental discharges. I would think the NRA agrees that "most" gun owners can safely handle a firearm. But if you have a whole convention center full of people with loaded weapons, constantly drawing them to ask about accessories, or repairs, or ammo, or whatever - well, then the possibility of an AD is quite high IMHO. Now, if the rules stipulated that all weapons remain holstered, then that would be different.

    Again, JMHO. I am just not all that trusting of other people's gun handling safety.

    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  9. #54
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    4,016
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    to the volunteer coordinator & the general contact for the AM
    Please let us know what, if any, response you get.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

  10. #55
    Member Array langenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montmorency Co, MI
    Posts
    82
    Im advising em to get a gun friendly site every year-even if the same place year after year.

  11. #56
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036

    Reply from NRA

    Looks canned.

    Thank you for contacting us.
    The Charlotte Convention Center does not allow the carrying of firearms, both open and concealed.

    The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.

    Thank you for your support!

    Best Regards,
    Ken
    NRA Member Communications

    P.S. Please make sure you include this and any previous correspondence.
    Some Internet Providers, such as AOL for example, automatically cut out previous messages when you reply to a message. This will help insure a quick answer to your inquiry. Thanks again!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  12. #57
    Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Arid Zone A
    Posts
    1,561
    Unbelievable. And the mealy mouthed form letter e-mail response.

    To the posters who believe that if you have a lot of people with guns there will be a negligent discharge, I have been at organized shoots, gunshows and walking the streets of gun related events with thousands of armed citizens, and I have never personally seen one ND at these gun-social events in decades. To say it might is the same mentality that says "blood will run in the streets if you let people carry loaded weapons".

  13. #58
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,782
    Dave, that's not much of an answer, though this may not be either. Even though NC has the admission restriction of firearms, and most cities prohibit carry in city owned buildings I still OC'd my G19 at the local gunshow this weekend. I paid $8 to get in and it was held in a city owned convention center. They did not try very hard to get some sort of compromise. There are big gun shows in Charlotte and I guarantee that you can carry as long as it's unloaded and zip tied. Heck the Raleigh gun show is at the state fairgrounds and you can carry! Unloaded is not the perfect answer, but it beats banned.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  14. #59
    Member Array jmiked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SE AZ Border County
    Posts
    218
    My $0.02. I used to live (as in born and raised) 32 miles North of Charlotte. That of course is Kannapolis, the very heart of Redneck NASCAR country.

    Even back then (many, many Moons ago as they say) Charlotte was the Liberal heart of the state right behind the Raleigh-Durham Brain.

    Why in Gods name did NRA choose to go there?

    There is a reason I live in AZ and Mecklenburg County is a distant memory!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

  15. #60
    Member Array TheFreeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - Concord
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    My $0.02. I used to live (as in born and raised) 32 miles North of Charlotte. That of course is Kannapolis, the very heart of Redneck NASCAR country.

    Even back then (many, many Moons ago as they say) Charlotte was the Liberal heart of the state right behind the Raleigh-Durham Brain.

    Why in Gods name did NRA choose to go there?

    There is a reason I live in AZ and Mecklenburg County is a distant memory!
    Agreed. NC is pretty left of center when it comes to guns. Basically someone has to be in the process of killing you in order for you to defend yourself even in your own home.

    I would rather drive a few hours to a gun friendly site than such a gun restricted site like Charlotte. Not to mention, the city of Charlotte has pretty high crime rates in itself.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Firearms May Be Legally Carried At The 2011 NRA Convention In Pittsburgh.
    By GunnyBunny in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM
  2. NRA Convention
    By TomEgun in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
  3. NRA Convention May 15-18
    By Linda in forum Member Meeting Place
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: April 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Search tags for this page

can i bring my gun to the nra convention
,

can i buy a gun at the nra convention

,

can you buy guns at nra convention

,

can you buy guns at the nra convention

,
concealed carry at nra convention
,
future nra conventions
,

nra convention 2012 entrance fee

,

nra convention admission

,

nra convention admission fee

,

nra convention pittsburgh 2011

,
nra convention pittsburgh admission price
,
nra convention st louis
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors