No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? - Page 5

No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This is a discussion on No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just sent this to them. We'll see what I get back. Guess it'll be the same canned message posted earlier. __________________________________________________ ___ From: To: ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I just sent this to them. We'll see what I get back. Guess it'll be the same canned message posted earlier.

__________________________________________________ ___
    To: DEggers@nrahq.org; AM_Response@nrahq.org
    2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte

To whomever it may concern,

I had planned on attending the annual 2010 NRA meetings in Charlotte, however I was extremely disappointed to learn that even at an NRA convention that we would not be allowed to carry our firearms to the convention center.

It seems very counter productive and hypocritical to fight for the freedom to bear arms, but to ask your very own members to disarm at a member meeting.

I realize that Charlotte has a very large convention center, however, it would have made more sense to hold the meeting in a more gun friendly city/state in a venue that allows NRA members to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

Unfortunately I will not be attending an NRA meeting until it is held in a location that follows what the NRA is supposed to stand for.

-Adam Freeman
    -NRA Member
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

To:
    RE: 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte
    Thank you for contacting us.
    The Charlotte Convention Center does not allow the carrying of firearms, both open and concealed.
    The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.
    Thank you for your support!
    Best Regards,
    Ken
    NRA Member Communications
    P.S. Please make sure you include this and any previous correspondence.
    Some Internet Providers, such as AOL for example, automatically cut out previous messages when you reply to a message. This will help insure a quick answer to your inquiry. Thanks again!
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    To:
    RE: 2010 NRA Annual Meetings In Charlotte
    Thank you for contacting us.
    The Charlotte Convention Center does not allow the carrying of firearms, both open and concealed.
    The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.
    Thank you for your support!
    Best Regards,
    Ken
    NRA Member Communications
    P.S. Please make sure you include this and any previous correspondence.
    Some Internet Providers, such as AOL for example, automatically cut out previous messages when you reply to a message. This will help insure a quick answer to your inquiry. Thanks again!

That's the same canned response that DaveH received yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by langenc View Post
    Im advising em to get a gun friendly site every year-even if the same place year after year.
    Exactly.

The tripe about feeling a need to spread the love around the country is hogwash, as the average 1500mi ticket isn't much worse than a 200mi ticket. People come from all over, for these things. But if the NRA continues to show signs it is losing the direction from its moral compass, it's going to be harmed far more than a few long plane flights from supporters. Backbone, NRA leaders. Backbone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well,

I WAS going to attend.....Not anymore!

THANKS, NRA, for the the decision to hold the convention at this site and the "heads up".

Would have been good information to know before I made plans to attend.

Say Whutt?

So why would the NRA hold this important event in a place like this?
    Kinda wierd don't you think?
    Glock 32 & 27
    Kimber Ultra & Crimson
    Ruger SR9c
    Kahr PM9
    Sig P238

I wonder how many people won't go because of this. I could only imagine that it is less than 3%. Most people won't realize till they hit the door, and then some people won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
    My $0.02. I used to live (as in born and raised) 32 miles North of Charlotte. That of course is Kannapolis, the very heart of Redneck NASCAR country.

Even back then (many, many Moons ago as they say) Charlotte was the Liberal heart of the state right behind the Raleigh-Durham Brain.

Why in Gods name did NRA choose to go there?

There is a reason I live in AZ and Mecklenburg County is a distant memory!
    Umm, Charlotte is *quite* conservative compared to Raleigh-Durham, Chapel Hill, etc.

Perhaps you mean that Charlotte is the most liberal city in Western NC?
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I also got the same form e-mail from "Ken".

The industry my wife belongs to has their annual convention in the same set of cities every year. Before we moved to Florida I had been to Orlando more times than before I was an married adult!

Maybe the NRA needs to come up with better reasons why they are giving money its members to an anti-gun locale.

They could easily alternate between a couple of cities that anyone can fly to cheap off season, like Las Vegas and Orlando (just examples).

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am not sure how I feel about this. Hopefully they can spin it to show the country that things still need to change.

TheFreeman.....

I don't know about that. I know myself, and if I HAD showed up and arrived at the door only to be turned away because I was carrying I would have been highly incensed and gone back home to Virginia.

What's especially galling to me is why the NRA doesn't own up to it and WARN people that they will not be able to carry at the convention.

Guess they KNOW what the peoples response to that would be.

A much lower attendance rate.

It is a state law not a convention center rule necessarily, and could also be a city rule since they own the building. The law states that any gathering where admission is charged. Which if a non NRA member shows up and wants to get in they must pay and entrance fee to enter. This state does need help with its outdated carry laws that is for sure.

It would be nice if we could get enough members to draw the NRA's attention to the issue, and get a movement going to get the laws changed. I know that is a long shot into the dark, but everything has to start somewhere.

Or those that live in NC could start contacting their State Senators and Representatives. Choose a sympathetic one and get him/her to sponsor some legislative change. Probably won't get anything changed in time for the Convention, but you gotta start somewhere.

Brian

not a good idea to go to an nra convention and leave the gun in the truck. if i want to steal guns, ill go where i know there is alot of gun loving people who normally carry are unarmed. hmmmm gun thief dream.

That is just stupid and short sighted...the same organization that tells us how they fight for our rights and quickly throw out how non-american our government is when they do something like this, goes and acts just like the people they claim to be protecting us from. I am a member, probably always will be because I agree with what they "publicly" stand for and what they fight for, but they really dropped the ball here. Wouldnt it of been better to find a place that would allow carry and use this convention as an example of how law abiding Americans can come together and congregate in a LARGE setting without everyone freaking out and shooting each other up????? That would be a stellar example of how guns carry helps keep people safe.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Links