No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This is a discussion on No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deboog93 The law states that any gathering where admission is charged. Which if a non NRA member shows up and wants to ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deboog93 View Post
    The law states that any gathering where admission is charged. Which if a non NRA member shows up and wants to get in they must pay and entrance fee to enter.
    This is not accurate. As previously stated, there is no admission fee. NRA members and uniformed military and LEO's are admitted at no charge. If not an NRA member, you can join there.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    The one in Louisville a few years ago had no issue. I open carried the whole event. I don't think it's the NRA calling the shots though. I believe it's more the venue and possibly state law in this instance.

EDIT: Come to the one in Pittsburgh next year... I can count with one hand what is off limits in PA... crowds and admission are not two of them

I love this state
    I'm sure thats the case, but the NRA should be using a more gun friendly venue and not using our dollars to go to anywhere that restricts our right to carry. I for one am dissapointed and will be voicing that dissapointment to the NRA
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

An update, I just called the NRA ( 1-703-267-1000 ) and did voice my objections to their choice of venue. They said that the whole state of North Carolina prohibits it ( is this true? ), so I told him a change of state may be in order if this was the case. This is in no way meant to slam N. Carolina, but if this is true, they need to be aware of the loss of business this could cause and maybe things will change. I love the state otherwise, and almost moved there myself!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

What happened to sending the message that if they want my money, they'll have to accept my gun?
    Thanks, but no thanks.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    An update, I just called the NRA ( 1-703-2 They said that the whole state of North Carolina prohibits it
    Prohibits what?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Prohibits what?
    I can only imagine that this refers to the charge of admission. However, the venue itself also does not allow firearms if I recall correctly.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I honestly think this is less of an issue than the convention center rules. I was thinking about going to the local gun show tomorrow. I would pay $7 to get in. And I could OC my G19, though it has to be unloaded. Not the best situation, but not a total ban either. So, I think the NRA could have found a way around the convention rules, I just wonder if they even tried? I'm still not sure if I am going or not.
    The gun shows here not only make you unload the gun, they zip tie it closed, and also make you leave your ammo. Two steps inside you can stop at a table and buy ammo, and a knife to cut the zip tie, if you don't already have one.
    Last time I went, I actually forgot to give the door keeper my speed strip. Remembered it when I was retrieving my carry load, whoopsie.

I remember another time I was at a customer's plant in Arkansas. It was a munitions plant and they had a no matches, lighter ban, for good reason. I don't smoke, so I did't even bother to check my suit pockets. After I left I found that the last time I wore the suit it was to a wedding, and they gave out books of matches with bride and grooms name on them. I had a book in my pocket. This was a federal muntions plant, as I remember, so it would have been bad news if someone found them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    I can only imagine that this refers to the charge of admission. However, the venue itself also does not allow firearms if I recall correctly.
    I thought he might be referring to open carry.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    An update, I just called the NRA ( 1-703-267-1000 ) and did voice my objections to their choice of venue. They said that the whole state of North Carolina prohibits it ( is this true? ), so I told him a change of state may be in order if this was the case. This is in no way meant to slam N. Carolina, but if this is true, they need to be aware of the loss of business this could cause and maybe things will change. I love the state otherwise, and almost moved there myself!
    I just called the # and informed the guy at membership that you COULD carry unloaded at gun shows that charge admission and are held on city and state property in NC. He said they were "looking into it" I told him they may want to contact some of the gun show folks to see how they handle it. He did not sound very interested in talking about it. And I told him that it appeared the facility gave "exemptions" under certain circumstances. You know, like the gun's the dealers will have at the tables! Yeah, it's a stupid law that we need to work on. But if we can't pass restaurant carry where alcohol is served, I doubt this gets legs for a while either.

Still undecided on attending. May not have the money anyway.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Hey folks...I wrote to the NRA about this and here is their email reply.

Thank you for contacting us.
    The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.
    Best Regards,
    Sarah
    NRA Member Communications
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

Quote Originally Posted by Cericko View Post
    Hey folks...I wrote to the NRA about this and here is their email reply.

Thank you for contacting us.
    The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.
    Best Regards,
    Sarah
    NRA Member Communications
    Seems like a reasonable response.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Why did the NRA select this state location for such a large and major event, knowing that state law is as such?

- Janq
    My 1st question exactly. I'll keep reading, see if there's an answer.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Maybe for that exact reason, big enough turnout, they might be able to push to get that changed if they can show the support is there. Just my thoughts on that.
    How would positively reinforcing their rules with your presence & tourism dollars help to change it? (not directed at you personally)
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Not to ruffle feathers here, but this worries me. Even if done correctly by GunnyBunny (which I assume), GB's statement suggests that:
    • In a large crowd there will be others who want to show off their rigs, too;
    • Some of these folks will be on the low side of the 'proper gun handling technique' bell curve;
    • When one guy hands a weapon to another, a goof by either one could be dangerous;
    • Thus effectively the numbers of safety-dummies could be as much as doubled;
    • The more that firearms are handled the greater is the likelihood of a negligent discharge;
    • In a crowd, you would expect injuries if a firearm were discharged;
    • Can you imagine the headline, "Negligent Discharge at an NRA Convention Kills Man"? The media would have a feeding frenzy!

Is it possible that the NRA chose the location so they could hide behind the local law in hopes of preventing injury and avoiding a setback to THE CAUSE? Sure, we want every capable person to carry, but we want their rigs to stay in their holsters unless 'in use'!

When folks in authority do what APPEAR from my vantage to be dumb things, rather than the decision-maker being an idiot it's more likely that I just can't see the threat that he does. Just wonderin'...

Again, I'm not worried about GunnyBunny, a frequent contributor whose posts I read with interest. And I am a member of the NRA.
    I like how your mind works! I wonder if I might have come up with that too eventually? It sounds like me heh heh.
    Fortune favors the bold.

VIP Member

Question Nope or Dope?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I don't think it's the NRA calling the shots though. I believe it's more the venue and possibly state law in this instance.

Pick one:

Nope, they called the shot when they selected the site for the meeting.

Vs.

Dope bought the package for the site w/o knowing what the dope bought.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links