No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This is a discussion on No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doctor Kind of like having the RNC Convention but you can't get in if you're a republican???? As a life member, I ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

VIP Member

Too the point

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Kind of like having the RNC Convention but you can't get in if you're a republican????
    As a life member, I couldn't agree more!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Life is too precious to go to events that you can't carry.

I've passed on two NRA conventions already and don't see myself ever attending one unless those kind of silly rules are done away with.

No CCW, no go.
    But that's just me.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    No CCW, no go.
    But that's just me.
    Nope! Not just you.

A fair number of folk on this forum and a number of sites I know of passed.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    NRA should looking in venues that support the 2nd amendment not disable it. Even only temporary, is still not acceptable. I believe in the NRA 100% I am a member and will always be. I just think some made a mistake.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    For all you that are complaining about the NRA. when you can find me a better group that has lobbied for more gun rights and get crap laws removed.... then I will join, until then the NRA will get my money. I like to keep my 2nd Amend rights don't you?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    For all you that are complaining about the NRA. when you can find me a better group that has lobbied for more gun rights and get crap laws removed.... then I will join, until then the NRA will get my money. I like to keep my 2nd Amend rights don't you?
    Indeed I would. But the NRA cowered away from the Heller v. DC case. GOA opposed Vet Admin bureaucrats taking away veteran's 2nd Amendment rights w/o due process while NRA thought that was just fine. NRA took a very narrow approach in NRA v. Chicago whereas the SAF sponsored the broader shot that we need at Chicago's unconstitutional gun ban in McDonald v. Chicago. VCDL has done more here in VA than the NRA ever did, even though the NRA's HQ is here.

I belong to the NRA and think that they have a part to play, but they aren't the only game in town. In at least some cases, they aren't even the most effective.
    Last edited by TBob; May 9th, 2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: fix typos
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

No where in the literature for this conference does it say metal detectors. You sir are just stirring the pot.

The NRA fights the good fight for all of the 50 states and the people in it. Does it take money, yes it does. No one else is facing off at every law that tries to take away our rights.

Do I want to carry at the convention? yes it would be nice. But the convention needs to be held all over the country at different locations so people who might have trouble with finances or time off can maybe attend one every once and a while. I like the idea of having a PRO-GUN convention in the middle of ANTI-GUN territory. Imagine the politicians and liberals waking up every morning knowing that thousands of PRO_GUN people are in their town, attending a NRA conference, looking at and handling thousands of firearms that the vendors will be displaying.

Maybe some anti-gun, or middle of the road people will see how us PRO-GUN folks act and be swayed by the show of force and by some of us not being idiots.

I don't always agree with the NRA and its tactics at time but they are my best defense against an oppressive government and I will support them. I also support this site and the many opinions expressed. I support my local gun club and I also vote in all elections. This is how change is started.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    Indeed I would. But the NRA cowered away from the Heller v. DC case. GOA opposed Vet Admin bureaucrats taking away veteran's 2nd Amendment rights w/o due process while NRA thought that was just fine. NRA took a very narrow approach in NRA v. Chicago whereas the SAF sponsored the broader shot that we need at Chicago's unconstitutional gun ban in McDonald v. Chicago. VCDL has done more here in VA than the NRA ever did, even though the NRA's HQ is here.

I belong to the NRA and think that they have a part to play, but they aren't the only game in town. In at least some cases, they aren't even the most effective.

and local groups are doing much more at the State & local level, where most of the progress is being made, of late.

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    No where in the literature for this conference does it say metal detectors. You sir are just stirring the pot.
    Check OP and NRA's own site: NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Home

Note: North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check. [emphasis added]
    BTW -- I'm a NRA Life member, but anyone who thinks they are the only game in town or most effective across the board have their heads in the sand. Yes the NRA has a role to play. But they are selling out too often. They also, have to be dragged into the trench fighting by other groups far too often.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Check OP and NRA's own site: NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Home
    my apologies on that.

Ok, I've read through all of the posts in this thread and have two comments.

1) NRA members, your money is being used to profit a company that does not stand for your rights.

2) Here is an event schedule for Friday. NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Events

Would someone mind telling me how this event is going to take place without breaking the "law"?

The Time Warner Arena is not where the convention is, it is where some of the events are being held the big one on Saturday night being the one I know of for sure, the Charlotte Convention center is a different building. They wand at Time Warner for EVERY event.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

he's not stirring the pot. from the NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Home

Note: North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check.

The NRA fights the good fight for all of the 50 states and the people in it.
    I beg to differ. They fight the fights they can win, so that should be changed to 42 states or so, not all 50. Where is their presence in NY(city), NJ, MA, CA, MD, WI, IL, and HI? That's right, they can't win there so they don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

and local groups are doing much more at the State & local level, where most of the progress is being made, of late.

BTW -- I'm a NRA Life member, but anyone who thinks they are the only game in town or most effective across the board have their heads in the sand. Yes the NRA has a role to play. But they are selling out too often. They also, have to be dragged into the trench fighting by other groups far too often.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

I'm a member of the NRA and have been a long time. I agree, they fight vigorously for 2nd amend. rights, but I'm not a lemming and I won't follow them blindly over a cliff. If I think they are doing something that does'nt help my 2nd amend. right, ( using a venue that deprives me of that right ) I will, and did, tell them so, and I will not participate or spend any of my money there. Other than voting for the board, there's not much more to be done. If it gets bad enough, I will not renew my membership.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    Agreed. NC is pretty left of center when it comes to guns. Basically someone has to be in the process of killing you in order for you to defend yourself even in your own home.
    And a lot of it is because of ONE PERSON in the State Senate, who won't let any pro-gun bills out of committee for a vote.

Rather than complaining about the stupidity of the laws, how about a little help getting the laws changed?

It's still a hell of a lot better here in NC than in California.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links