No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This is a discussion on No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Benthic Or those that live in NC could start contacting their State Senators and Representatives. Choose a sympathetic one and get him/her ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Or those that live in NC could start contacting their State Senators and Representatives. Choose a sympathetic one and get him/her to sponsor some legislative change. Probably won't get anything changed in time for the Convention, but you gotta start somewhere.

Brian
    If it ever got to the floor for a vote, these laws would change. It's been tried before - specifically Castle Doctrine and a change in the Restaurant Carry, last year, but, as I said before, it's because of ONE PERSON that these laws don't get to a vote.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs down Important NRA Meeting Update -- NOT

Got an email from Wayne LaPierre <Wayne_LaPierre.UM.A.2.18837@www.nranews.org> titled "Important NRA Meeting Update"

Hoped it might have something to do with the anti-gun stance they had taken, given my letters and those of others.

Nah! It was about "free personalized pictures" for those who attend.

If anyone attends, let us know if they were the typical "loss-leader" free photo to suck you into buying some sort of more extensive item(s).
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The reason I'm looking forward to 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I can sorta understand the logic. If they allowed CCW and/or OC, then most people attending would probably waltz in with a loaded gun, and the potential for an accidental discharge would 'shoot' through the roof!

-
    To be fair, this has been said too many times. Why is it that because we have firearms that there will be a problem? I'm more apt to trust someone carrying than someone not.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

What the NRA thinks about it's members

I thought this email exchange was pretty telling about the NRA..... enjoy

I saw through the news that the Conference Center that the NRA has rented for it's annual conference has declared that it has banned guns from it's premises. I am outraged that the NRA rolled over and accepted this unreasonable demand. There are literally hundreds of other venues that could have been utilized to have a gathering of NRA members, brought together for the sole purpose of protecting our 2nd Ammendment rights. If you can't ensure that my right to carry is not respected at your annual conference, not only will I not be going, but now I question why I even belong to the NRA. Why should I continue to support the NRA, when it is not performing it's primary function - to represent my right to keep and bear arms? I recently renewed my membership for 3 years. I would like a response as to why I shouldn't demand my membership dues back. Please respond immediately.

Extremely Upset,

Jason

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting us.

The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.
    Best Regards,
    Mike
    NRA Member Communications
    P.S. Please make sure you include this and any previous correspondence.
    Some Internet Providers, such as AOL for example, automatically cut out previous messages when you reply to a message. This will help insure a quick answer to your inquiry. Thanks again!

Mike,

Your ability to dissemble is truly amazing. Instead of communications, you should have gone into a career as an attorney, or even better yet - a politician. I think your response shows what is truly wrong with the NRA. Instead of actually protecting our 2nd amendment rights, you seem to be focusing on politics. You should use your annual conferences to reward these few gun friendly cities with your business, and as an incentive for more restrictive locations to change their laws in order to have a shot at your business. Obviously, your reasoning is flawed, or you simply aren't the true advocates for unrestricted 2nd amendment rights that you claim to be. You have obviously lost sight of your purpose, as I guess all organizations seem to do when they grow too big. You no longer faithfully represent your constituents, you are more worried about collecting membership dues and appeasing all yet pleasing none.

Due to your obvious lack of concern with my objections to your policies, I no longer see the need to keep my membership with your organization. I would like to end my membership with NRA. Please send me a refund for the pro-rated membership dues from today (5/28/2010) through the duration of my membership. I will join another organization that will truly represent me and fight to protect my 2nd amendment rights. Please confirm receipt of my correspondence and also apprise me of when I can expect the refunded membership dues.

Sick of Politics,

Jason

Thank you for contacting us.

As stated in the NRA Bylaws, a request to cancel a membership must
    be received in letter form to the NRA Director of Member Services at the
    address listed below on Waples Mill Rd. The NRA Bylaws also state that
    membership dues & fees paid to the NRA are not refundable or transferable.
    We are not permitted to cancel a membership per any other request than in
    letter form received via mail per the NRA Bylaws.
    Thank you very much for your support and please feel free to contact us
    if you ever need anything else!

Best Regards,
    Mike
    NRA Member Communications

11250 Waples Mill Road
    Fairfax, VA 22030
    NRA
    E-mail: membership@nrahq.org
    Phone: 1(800)672-3888
    P.S. If you need to contact us again concerning this, please make sure you include

Mike,

You really would have made a great lawyer, bylaws, formal requests and all. Your response validates my decision to cancel membership with the NRA. Furthermore, I think that other 2nd Amendment organizations and gun owners will find our interaction quite informative about the true underlying values of your organization.

Jason

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links