No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This is a discussion on No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This sucks!! The NRA convention in Charlotte is less than a month away and they posted the following on the website today......... North Carolina State ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

VIP Member

Angry No Firearms May Be Carried At The NRA Convention!?!?

This sucks!!

The NRA convention in Charlotte is less than a month away and they posted the following on the website today.........

North Carolina State law prohibits the carrying of firearms in the Charlotte Convention Center, the Bojangles Coliseum, and the Time Warner Cable Arena. In addition, the Rules and Regulations of the Charlotte Convention Center prohibit the carrying of firearms in the Center. Pursuant to Time Warner Cable Arena policy, all individuals entering the Arena will be subject to a magnetometer security check.

I get to carry so rarely and I was looking forward OC'ing to show off my rig and check out everyone elses toys as well.

Here's the link to the site..........

NRA 2010 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Home
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

NC prohibits carrying (OC or CC) in a place that charges admission. You also can't carry at a public gathering, such as a parade or a funeral. Go figure. I'm from NC and go back often, so I have to stay up on their stuff....was down there 4 days last week, so I'm freshly brushed up on it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    NC prohibits carrying (OC or CC) in a place that charges admission. You also can't carry at a public gathering, such as a parade or a funeral. Go figure. I'm from NC and go back often, so I have to stay up on their stuff....was down there 4 days last week, so I'm freshly brushed up on it.
    There is no admission charge. NRA members show their card and they get in for free. Uniformed military an LEO's get in for free too.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Public gathering thingy I guess. Pretty stupid considering.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Why did the NRA select this state location for such a large and major event, knowing that state law is as such?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

guess I will cancel my plans to attend.

There is not a state law issue, it is a city ordinance issue in Charlotte...

It appears the NRA has become more interested in collecting money then protecting your gun rights, if this is true.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    It appears the NRA has become more interested in collecting money then protecting your gun rights, if this is true.
    I honestly think it has always been that way. I am a member, but only because it was required in order to join a local shooting club.

Any so called "Pro 2A" group should look at things like this ahead of time.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I'm hardly an expert, but if you wanted to be optimistic about it, perhaps they believe holding their convention there will draw attention to the cause. If by going there and putting up with these restrictions they are able to build support for overturning them, would you consider that worthwhile?

That's like having the weight watchers convention at a Krispy Cream store.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That's like having the weight watchers convention at a Krispy Cream store.
    I know right!

They could have had the convention here in MA, the heart of anti-world and been a-okay without this issue.

It's for me impossible to believe that the NRA had no idea prior this would be a result as by state statute or local ordinance.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    The one in Louisville a few years ago had no issue. I open carried the whole event. I don't think it's the NRA calling the shots though. I believe it's more the venue and possibly state law in this instance.

EDIT: Come to the one in Pittsburgh next year... I can count with one hand what is off limits in PA... crowds and admission are not two of them

I love this state

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    That state law is unfortunate, but I am pleased to see NRA following it. Like it or not, it is the law. Maybe it will get the locals to get upset over their silly laws and become politically active...?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Well, to each his own, I guess. I notified them that because of this location, I was canceling my attendance and suggested that in the future, they be better prepared in choosing a site.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

And so why did the NRA pick No. Carolina and that Convention Center ? Sounds like who planned that had their head in the sand.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links