Polite request from a New York resident. - Page 2

Polite request from a New York resident.

This is a discussion on Polite request from a New York resident. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like it or not, "Move" is one valid relief to your discomfort. Instead of complaining about it, why don't you work to get the laws ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Polite request from a New York resident.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Like it or not, "Move" is one valid relief to your discomfort.

Instead of complaining about it, why don't you work to get the laws changed so that NY becomes "Shall issue" and NYC no longer has Sullivan protection.

Just a thought.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post

He was subsequently elected, and things have been changing for the better.
    Heard it was getting better. Haven't been back home in a couple years now.

People don't always say what we like-this is an Iternet forum, so you can expect about anything. So, I politely say, live with it cuz it ain't gonna change!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Now if the remainder of NY CCW holders will do the same, then perhaps the gradual changes will improve everyones opportunity to carry.
    New York actually has a high per capita rate of ccw permits. One publication from Ohio, lauding their state's progress in the area, stated that they were now #2 in per-capita ccw permits, with New York #1.

That was awhile ago, and I doubt it's true, but it's a myth that as a state New York does not have much carrying. New York City IS different of course. But people tend to view the State as the same as the City in regards to gun-issues.

i had one of those restricted permits for about 15 yrs there, one day I got a letter in the mail asking to make an appointment with the judge reguarding my permit ???? didn't know what it was for, so I called his sec. who lucky I knew, she told me it was to upgrade my permit to full carry, unrestricted, I said whats the soonest I could be there, she said come in today, so for my last 20 yrs there I was unrestricted, so its up to the judge guys..
    yes ny is a beautiful state once your north of orange co. or sullivan co's, which I was.
    according to ny laws I left there yrs ago as an honest citizen, now even with may permits I can not return with one of my carry weapons, WHY NY..
    give me a good reason. 34 other states honor my permits, can't ny honor an ex holder of a full carry permit, after all were honest and responsible people.I go to many state's that i've never been in before and they don't even know who I am ?????? and they accept me and my weapon.

Tony, I concur completely. Of course, I live in California, so we get it all the time too!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Instead of complaining about it, why don't you work to get the laws changed so that NY becomes "Shall issue" and NYC no longer has Sullivan protection.

Just a thought.
    It's a nice thought. But working to standardize CC laws across the state might end up having the unfortunate result of the whole state being like NYC.

I prefer working for change at the local level. If NYC residents want change they're welcome to work at their local level also.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I doubt it's true, but it's a myth that as a state New York does not have much carrying.
    If so, it's a myth I'm happy to perpetrate. I'd guess that New York has the lowest level of restrictions on where we can carry of all the states. (This is strictly anecdotal evidence from this forum after hearing complaints about people not being able to carry in church, in a bar, where there's a posted sign, etc.)
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Just a thought.
    Did you miss the part where he talked about spreading the word about the pro-gun judge? And even if he hadn't, how would you know whether or not he had worked to get the laws changed?

"Move" is not a valid option for many people. Not everyone has unlimited money, and some are tied to an area by family or other commitments. Some find CCW important, but not the only consideration regarding where they choose to live. I've been in Chicago and New York City for brief stays, and both are great cities that happen to have idiots running them.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Just wanted to sneak and share a link to NY firearms advocacy group.

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association

Duly noted, cl00bie. Here in NC, our carry laws are nothing to brag about, but we are trying to improve them. There are lots of other great reasons why I live here, and I'm sure it's the same for you.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Glad you like it. But I'm glad I moved. To each his own!
    same..I got sick of it and when a job in nearby PA opened up I fled QUICKLY lol..and as a plus im only 3 hours away from where I lived previously in NY .

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Guilty of the charge. My apologies. Any fool can post useless sarcasm.
    Yes I can.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Well, if you all are picking on New York, then you are leaving West Virginia alone!

Just kidding.

While I have not said anything about New York, my wife hails from the Land of Lincoln. I have said a few disparaging remarks about them and their laws. I will do better in the future not to bash any other state.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I too live in Broome County NY. It took 4 weeks to get my original pistol permit, and then it took 7 weeks after i completed the Rochester Arms Carry Class for my full carry permit. Not bad at all man, not bad at all. Bunker

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links