Polite request from a New York resident. - Page 3

Polite request from a New York resident.

This is a discussion on Polite request from a New York resident. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wyoming county resident here. It all depends on your area. I applied right after my 21st birthday, sent in the money and photo for the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wyoming county resident here. It all depends on your area. I applied right after my 21st birthday, sent in the money and photo for the license, waited 3 months, and I had my permit.

You go over one county to Erie (Buffalo area), and it's a year wait or more with a lot more restrictions. I can have an unlimited number of pistols on my permit, but if you go one county up, you can only have 10, I think.

NYS is not NYC, people!

Thank you for your time.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

So, you only want to hear responses from people who have more sensibility and political correctness to your appreciation of New York ? Vs, their actual opinion ?

Around these parts, there are more jokes, slams, etc. about each and every state in this area and it's people, laws, etc.... it's amazing. No one gets riled about it, and do it in fun.... others mean it. No-one cares or takes it personally at all.

If you like New York, good for you... you are living in the right place. But for others it may be their hell. Not everyone will have the same opinion as yours.

So, you only want to hear responses from people who have more sensibility and political correctness to your appreciation of New York ? Vs, their actual opinion ?
    Statements of facts would be nice - or opinions stated as opinions. Mixing the two, and getting the facts wrong to begin with, isn't just stating "an opinion".

Treating the entire value of life in any area, based on their Handgun Law, is also an unstated assumption of many harsh words towards New York and anyone living there. That's a lot more than just an opinion - it's acting on an unspoken opinion to generate insults about the totality of an area's worth that are in no way presented as jokes.

Any area can be ripped apart if I assume one element obliterates all aspects of life and culture there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Agreed--as long as your NY friends will quit trying to be the loudest, most obnoxious people in my restaurants when I'm trying to have a nice, quiet meal with my wife. We really don't care how things are done in NY; we're not in NY.

By the way, come visit Florida; the revenues are down.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

new york is still in my heart baby! born and raised in cropsey ave, brooklyn. I admit i'm guilty as charged. i promise not to do it again! forgive me pls.
    but i also have to add, "i wasn't born in texas, but i got here as soon as i could!"
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Agreed--as long as your NY friends will quit trying to be the loudest, most obnoxious people in my restaurants when I'm trying to have a nice, quiet meal with my wife. We really don't care how things are done in NY; we're not in NY.

By the way, come visit Florida; the revenues are down.
    Well we do not what to hear how itís done in the south either.

It is interesting that there is a collection of people to whom the gun culture of an area is all that matters to them. Personally why would I want to live in an area that has liberal gun laws but no work in my field?
    Anyone have a reason?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    Did you miss the part where he talked about spreading the word about the pro-gun judge? And even if he hadn't, how would you know whether or not he had worked to get the laws changed?

"Move" is not a valid option for many people. Not everyone has unlimited money, and some are tied to an area by family or other commitments. Some find CCW important, but not the only consideration regarding where they choose to live. I've been in Chicago and New York City for brief stays, and both are great cities that happen to have idiots running them.
    I didn't miss anything; I was talking about NY STATE laws like maybe state preemption and statewide SHALL ISSUE.

Notice I said "MOVE" is one option. I didn't say it was the only option. I said it was an option, not a requirement. If you're happy dealing with crappy laws, that's your business.

If you want to complain, be sure to give equal time to your elected representatives. I never said the OP didn't do that.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Anyone have a reason?
    hmmmm.. where do i start?
    let see, lower cost of living, affordable housing, traffic, lower crime rate, etc...etc...
    liberal gun laws is just an icing on the cake. oh yeah if you see my PF. there are hospitals here in texas.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post

Treating the entire value of life in any area, based on their Handgun Law, is also an unstated assumption of many harsh words towards New York and anyone living there. That's a lot more than just an opinion - it's acting on an unspoken opinion to generate insults about the totality of an area's worth that are in no way presented as jokes.
    How a given political jurisdiction treats it's citizens in relation to their firearms freedoms is a reflection of how the political leaders feel about freedom and the citizens in general
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Never really had an issue with all the things you listed. Higher paychecks offset the cost of living and I don’t drive anymore. Funny thing is I have never had a longer than 7 minute transport to a hospital myself ( I volunteer). Also I have not herd much about the finance sector in Texas lately.

Higher paychecks offset the cost of living
    you said you volunteer @ hospitals. then you know they pretty much pay the same. i actually make more over here. but to each is own brother. i wish i could afford to live in NYC! oh yeah we are going off the subject.... sorry again! i will always love new york! peace!

True, i made the coice to move

The problem I have is not with people spouting their opinions like, "Move" or "I moved and I'd never move back".... That's fine to me. Like everyone else says, 'Opinions are like aholes, everybody's got one and most of them stink.'

The problem is comments on what people think is State law when they have no resource for their comment. Don't tell me that it's "impossible" for me to get an unrestricted carry permit in NY. I have one. Don't tell me where I can and can't carry in NY if you don't know. Spreading misinformation/hearsay as fact/law is very much different from expressing an opinion.

In one of the last posts on a NY issue, I posted links to the NY Penal Law, USA Carry, and Handgunlaw.us. If it ain't in there, it ain't the law. Simple as that.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jplate3 View Post
    The problem I have is not with people spouting their opinions like, "Move" or "I moved and I'd never move back".... That's fine to me. Like everyone else says, 'Opinions are like aholes, everybody's got one and most of them stink.'

The problem is comments on what people think is State law when they have no resource for their comment. Don't tell me that it's "impossible" for me to get an unrestricted carry permit in NY. I have one. Don't tell me where I can and can't carry in NY if you don't know. Spreading misinformation/hearsay as fact/law is very much different from expressing an opinion.

In one of the last posts on a NY issue, I posted links to the NY Penal Law, USA Carry, and Handgunlaw.us. If it ain't in there, it ain't the law. Simple as that.
    Amen.

I actually own the Looseleaf NY Firearms & Weapons law book and have read it cover to cover and all the commentary from a former DA and State Police Lt. who used to be in charge of the permits. It's unbelievable some of the things people spout as truth.

Let me post the flip side to the OP's complaint.

I get REALLY tired of people from NY (and NJ, and IL and MA) posting on various forums how their restrictions "aren't so bad" and should be the law of the land EVERYWHERE. I've seen them go so far as to dismiss the incredible difficulty of legally getting a handgun in NYC by declaring that nobody needs a handgun for self-defense because a shotgun is "better".

While admittedly most of the people who make these posts are AHSA shills trolling for the gullible, no doubt some of them are sincere.

It gets very tiresome to see people with limited or no rights opining on how I'd be better off with limited or no rights too.

And I'm from Chicago. Yes, they ARE so bad. Been there, done that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links