Polite request from a New York resident.

This is a discussion on Polite request from a New York resident. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Deanimator Let me post the flip side to the OP's complaint. I agree with you! NY's rules border on the most restrictive ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Polite request from a New York resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Let me post the flip side to the OP's complaint.
    I agree with you! NY's rules border on the most restrictive in the country. Do I like it? Nope. Is there much I can do right now? Nope. If I could move tomorrow, I probably would. However, I have all my family ties here (with the exception of one brother in FL), and I'm in a bit of an employment niche. The area I live in is one of the best in the country that has what I do.

I don't like the fact that I can't handle or purchase a handgun in NY without a permit. The 2nd Amendment IS my purchase permit. But almost every State in the Union, with the exception of two that don't (IL and WI), and two that don't need 'em (VT and AK) that I know of, have some kind of permit for concealed carry. So, I'm not too concerned about that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    It gets very tiresome to see people with limited or no rights opining on how I'd be better off with limited or no rights too.
    That's just ridiculous. Not what you said, but what they say.

The fact remains, that in NY it may be a little more difficult to obtain a permit and you can't even touch a handgun here without one, but once you have an unrestricted carry permit there are very few limitations on your CC rights within Upstate NY. Outside of NY, that's a different beast. And that's what a UT non-res permit is for. LOL

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jplate3 View Post
    That's just ridiculous. Not what you said, but what they say.
    The Brady-ites are out with the "gun show loophole" lie again this week. Their shills in AHSA are hitting the firearms forums now, pushing the same scam.

PURELY coincidental, I'm sure....

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Like it or not, "Move" is one valid relief to your discomfort.

Instead of complaining about it, why don't you work to get the laws changed so that NY becomes "Shall issue" and NYC no longer has Sullivan protection.

Just a thought.

She's not complaining about the state laws (that's not the purpose of this thread).

She's complaining about people's reactions to where she lives....comments somewhat like yours....not really helpful when someone is coming here for advice.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

This has been an interesting thread to follow because I am from NYS. What's interesting about NYS is how every county is different. As it's been said, in some it is very difficult to just obtain a permit. In my county it is very easy. We have a judge who is very understanding of our rights. I am fortunate that I can carry almost anywhere. Since I am getting my Utah and Florida non resident permits I have read the regs for many of the states I will be visiting. I didn't realize how different all states were. I like where I live and the freedoms I have to carry. I wish NY city (8 hour drive from my house) would get in line with the rest of the state. Maybe someday all of us won't have to worry about this and we can carry anywhere without restriction.

Not to change the subject, but just to interject a lighter note here.....I think jplate3's avatar is an absolute hoot. I guess only a gun totin, bible thumpin, redneck extremist like myself can appreciate it and laugh so hard until tears wouldn't stop flowing. Come on down to SC and we'll hit one of the rivers in the upstate and do some canoeing. Thanks jplate3...I needed this!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I do not believe New York's laws are the tops - or a hair's breath away from the top - for the most restrictive gun laws in the country. The main restriction being the ability to have a carry permit, it would have to follow the numbers of such permits were very small statewide. They're not, at worst NY ranks in the middle for numbers of permits per capita, and it may be higher than that.

Individual counties may be restrictive and place restrictions on the state permit, which are almost always Carry Permits. Of those that do, many after a year, upon request, remove the restrictions. County restrictions are county ordinances. The state does not treat any violations as Gun Law crime. The major penalty if these ordinances were violated would be possible loss of your permit. Other counties have no restrictions and just give the Carry permit as is. And of course some counties are very restrictive.

I believe it is much more difficult to get a permit in Washington, Chicago, Massachusetts, California as well as some other areas, Hawaii from what I have heard, New Hampshire may be. There are also Illinois, Maryland, Wisconsin and New Jersey. There may be more, and others are around the same as New York.

There are positives in NY also, few restrictions on where you can carry, and in most of the state the carry-permit does not need to be renewed, it's for life.

So, is New York gun-friendly? No.
    Is it on the top of restrictive states? No
    And it's got a respectable number of permits.

In short, it could be a lot less restrictive than some states in a comparison. And it could be a lot more restrictive compared to others.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    For those of you in NYS with PRO-2A Judges, let me ask you a question.

Would you rather that:

1. The next elected Judge is of similar caliber (I point out the CA Sheriff who pulled most of the permits issued by her predecessor), or

2. That NYS laws were in effect that Codify 'shall issue' of an unrestricted permit?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    For those of you in NYS with PRO-2A Judges, let me ask you a question.

Would you rather that:

1. The next elected Judge is of similar caliber (I point out the CA Sheriff who pulled most of the permits issued by her predecessor), or

2. That NYS laws were in effect that Codify 'shall issue' of an unrestricted permit?
    How, exactly, would you accomplish this when half of the State representatives are from New York City? What would you think if the New York City legislators got together and made concealed carry illegal in New York State?

I prefer not to rock the statewide boat and to work county to county. You might not agree, but then again, you don't live here and are obviously not familiar with the political realities around these parts.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Half! That sucks. Maybe the SCOTUS and McDonald will give NYC/NYS the impetus to get real, real soon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Never really had an issue with all the things you listed. Higher paychecks offset the cost of living and I donít drive anymore. Funny thing is I have never had a longer than 7 minute transport to a hospital myself ( I volunteer). Also I have not herd much about the finance sector in Texas lately.
    LMAO ..... I heard a guy go thru a long speel about that too, and how ... although the cost of living here is 1/2 of what it is in Boston, the wages are much higher there to compensate for it Then he went on to give examples as to what his wife got paid as a nurse. I didn't have the heart to tell him, they get paid about 1/3 more here than Boston.

I have a few friends in NY, and we've compared common wages for many professions..... I don't know how they convinced ya'all of that... but boy did they sell some people a bill of goods.

Not shore how much good a SCOTUS decision would do. NYC already has canceled carry permits. They are just extremely hard to get from what I have heard. I might consider trying getting one at some point, in the 4 or 5 years range. Hey if after I finish my MBA I get offered a bigger paycheck in the financial sector in Texas or Kansas I would consider moving out to them.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Not shore how much good a SCOTUS decision would do. NYC already has canceled carry permits. They are just extremely hard to get from what I have heard. I might consider trying getting one at some point, in the 4 or 5 years range. Hey if after I finish my MBA I get offered a bigger paycheck in the financial sector in Texas or Kansas I would consider moving out to them.
    You can give it a shot... Dallas and Ks City would be better if you want in the financial sector, lots of opportunities. They pay well. There are lots of MBA's around, so if you can add any experience to it that will help you.

Hey worth a look at. Not exactly shore there the types of areas I would want to live, never been to either state. I imagine I would suffer some major culture shock.

I might have a solution to your problem, although it might be kinda expensive:

A friend of mine bought property in the Adirondacks(Jefferson county) and although he lives in Wayne County, works in Monroe county his permanent residence is in Jefferson county. Which is very 2A friendly.

So my solution is to buy "vacation property" in a gun friendly county and move your permanent address there. Then apply for a permit in that county. As long as your vacation property his a legal address ( not a lot number) and you pay tax on that property, you should be fine.

The problem with this is, you must go to your county of residence to vote. It might not be the most economical solution to your problem, but what-the-heck?

I live in Monroe County. Which is very gun friendly. I got my permit back '94, all I applied for was Target and hunting, and I got a "un-restricted" permit. actually my permit says

"State of New York, County of Monroe, License to Carry Pistol is hereby Granted to >>>>>>> insert my full name

If you have an hour, I'll tell you my long sad saga of how long it took me to get my permit.......9 months, 2weeks and couple of days.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Not to change the subject, but just to interject a lighter note here.....I think jplate3's avatar is an absolute hoot. I guess only a gun totin, bible thumpin, redneck extremist like myself can appreciate it and laugh so hard until tears wouldn't stop flowing. Come on down to SC and we'll hit one of the rivers in the upstate and do some canoeing. Thanks jplate3...I needed this!!
    LOL No problem. Would love to canoe in SC sometime! ;)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links