Polite request from a New York resident.

This is a discussion on Polite request from a New York resident. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When someone from New York State posts to this forum asking questions about how to get the restrictions removed from their permit, please, please, please ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Polite request from a New York resident.

Polite request from a New York resident.

When someone from New York State posts to this forum asking questions about how to get the restrictions removed from their permit, please, please, please don't fill up the thread with responses like:

• "Move"
    • "I wouldn't live in that fascist dictatorship"
    • "I'm glad I live in [more reasonable state]"

... or something similar. It is not helpful, and it gets really old after a while.

I know it's difficult to get an unrestricted permit in New York state. I waited through two terms (18 years) of a county judge who didn't believe that anyone who didn't regularly transport large sums of money needed a handgun to protect themselves.

But when folks were recruiting a candidate to run for this judge's seat, many people explained to him that full carry was important to a lot of the residents. I passed the word to folks that he was the guy to vote for. He was subsequently elected, and things have been changing for the better.

I love the area I live it. It has a low cost of living, great school system and really low crime. I really don't want to move to a state with more liberal CC laws just yet. Maybe my wife and I will when we retire.

Outside of NYC, concealed carry is possible. I know, I do it. There are areas where it's more difficult. That can be changed with a change of judge.

When someone asks a reasonable question, please offer them useful suggestions, and if you can't, there's no need to offer non-useful suggestions that only make them feel bad.

Thanks.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I worked with Joe when he was a defense attorney, and while I was employed at the Broome County Jail, and used him for a worker's comp case for me. He is one hell of a nice guy, and was a fantastic choice for county court judge.
    I suggest that if you can find in your inner self the will to inflict violence on someone who is trying to victimize you, and can back up that iron will with all the force that you can muster, you will most likely be successful.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Reasonable, valid and nicely articulated. Good luck. We've a fair number of really good folks but sometimes....well enough said.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

A Polite Reply to a Polite Request

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    When someone from New York State posts to this forum asking questions about how to get the restrictions removed from their permit, please, please, please don't fill up the thread with responses like:

• "Move"
    • "I wouldn't live in that fascist dictatorship"
    • "I'm glad I live in [more reasonable state]"

... or something similar. It is not helpful, and it gets really old after a while.

I know it's difficult to get an unrestricted permit in New York state. I waited through two terms (18 years) of a county judge who didn't believe that anyone who didn't regularly transport large sums of money needed a handgun to protect themselves.

But when folks were recruiting a candidate to run for this judge's seat, many people explained to him that full carry was important to a lot of the residents. I passed the word to folks that he was the guy to vote for. He was subsequently elected, and things have been changing for the better.

I love the area I live it. It has a low cost of living, great school system and really low crime. I really don't want to move to a state with more liberal CC laws just yet. Maybe my wife and I will when we retire.

Outside of NYC, concealed carry is possible. I know, I do it. There are areas where it's more difficult. That can be changed with a change of judge.

When someone asks a reasonable question, please offer them useful suggestions, and if you can't, there's no need to offer non-useful suggestions that only make them feel bad.

Thanks.
    I took the liberty of reviewing the "most recent" thread concerning restrictions in NY and how to potentially have them reviewed and lifted. I am personally only familiar with NY based on what people post here. Other than knowing it's a beautiful state, I've NOT experienced the CCW difficulties that residents have experienced. With that being said, out of 21 responses on the thread I reviewed, the majority offered constructive comments on the reasons that could be used to lift restrictions.

I'm certain that opinions of those that live in other states that have less restrictive rules are just as valuable as those that are also in states perhaps that do not issue or are restrictive by county and sheriffs, etc. These opinions are not meant to pierce what appears to be thin skin, concerning NY laws. They are just comments....Comments and opinions, presented constructively and not maliciously are what makes the forums interesting. As they say "Everyone has an OPINION, some are just different from others" or something along those lines.

It's good that you are working to improve things in YOUR area concerning the approving judges, etc. Now if the remainder of NY CCW holders will do the same, then perhaps the gradual changes will improve everyones opportunity to carry. I personally can't OC in SC and am surely not offended by those that make comments as to the backwardness of our state laws in that arena. I also am not offended when someone calls me an "Extremist Guntotin Redneck", i.e. something along those lines from Ms Janet Napolitano...I just kinda roll with the flow, get into my non-confrontational CCW personality, and enjoy life.

If ya'll get fed up with NY laws, come on down South..or perhaps head to NH or Vermont... ...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

cl00bie,

I also am an New York State Resident. Thank You, For that great post. I hope it makes a difference.
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Glad you like it. But I'm glad I moved. To each his own!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post

[LIST][*]"Move"

Guilty of the charge. My apologies. Any fool can post useless sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    When you post a question on the Internet, you have to expect that you'll get answers that run from very good, to very bad.

Its just the nature of the beast. The same thing could be said for any other anti-gun state that makes it difficult for people to protect themselves.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

There seem to be a few states Ca, Nj Ny Il, that make people who are unfamiliar with them, cringe. For some, the restrictions that these states impose are unbearable. But, I think most folks here feel your pain, and want to see things change as badly as you do.

Hang in their.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Another Request

Hi Tony,

I hear you but I have posted Re: New York and was given some good advice.

Another polite request from another NYer: Please, stop voting for Dems.

I've never been to New York but if you look over at Glock Talk for a man that goes by the user name of NYC DREW,I bet he can answer all your questions.He sounds quite knowlegeable about the laws up there. sj

Yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine. I run several RPGs over the years and some of them were based on shows that weren't very popular, so whenever I would post an ad someone would feel obligated to inform me how awful the show was.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    ...If ya'll get fed up with NY laws, come on down South..or perhaps head to NH or Vermont... ...JMO
    Don't tell them to come down here! We have enough damn Yankees as it is! J/K guys.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Excellent post. I think the strength of this forum is the helpful, friendly advice we offer each other, and so it's always sad to see comments that aren't helpful or friendly.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Don't know if I'm guilty but I promise to watch it in the future.

Gotta say this though - I grew up in your county.

I moved (to PA).

I ain't NEVER moving back!

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I live in NY and was a little surprised by what I read here. I know each county was different but didn't realize how much. I found it very easy to get my CC permit with no restrictions. I just had to take a 3 hour course and hand in my application. Six weeks later my permit was granted.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links