Primary vs Backup

Primary vs Backup

This is a discussion on Primary vs Backup within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually refer to my Glock 19 in my IWB holster as my primary carry and my Ruger LCR in my pocket as my backup. ...

Thread: Primary vs Backup

Primary vs Backup

I usually refer to my Glock 19 in my IWB holster as my primary carry and my Ruger LCR in my pocket as my backup. Last night I was in a gas station late at night and when a somewhat rough looking man walked in, my hand slipped into my pocket onto the handle of my LCR. The man just paid for his gas and left, and I paid for my things and left as well and realized, if the worst case had went down, my 5 shot LCR would have been my primary, and only if I needed more rounds would I have gone to my backup 19.

I guess it depends on the situation, if I had time to draw properly I would go for my 19 first, but if anticipating something is "not right", I can slip my hand into my pocket and get a shooting grip on my LCR. I guess I just feel guilty for labeling my LCR as my backup when there are many situations in which it would be my primary defense weapon.

Not really a discussion topic as much as an observation.

What do others carry as primary/backup?

I carry a Springfield XD9sc as my primary with a spare 16rd mag. My only backup is a Spyderco Tenacious in my back left pocket, opposite my gun.

I don't have enough room on my tiny waist for anything else and my pockets are full. I kind of feel like a backup gun is overkill, but certainly don't look down on anyone who wants to carry one.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Pocket pistol

Didn't used to carry a backup, but I love the LCR in my pocket. As long as my pants are loose enough, it just looks like a big wallet, and I can get a shooting grip on it without exposing the fact that I am carrying. I love the stopping power of the .38 sp over the .380 pocket pistols.

If I draw with my hands out of my pockets, I could get my Glock out first, but if I already have a shooting grip on my LCR, I could pull and shoot in a very short time period.

Not crazy about only having 5 shots, but if I need more than 5, I probably will have time to pull my Glock.

Guess I am just having a love affair with my LCR.

that's the beauty of carrying two guns. Don't look at your LCR as a backup, look at it as 'more options'.

Both guns can play both roles, depending on the scenario, like you just described.

Guess I am just having a love affair with my LCR.
    It's gonna be ok... lots of people here to help you with your problem
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    that's the beauty of carrying two guns. Don't look at your LCR as a backup, look at it as 'more options'.

Both guns can play both roles, depending on the scenario, like you just described.

It's gonna be ok... lots of people here to help you with your problem
    I agree. On the rare occasions I carry more than one weapon, I don't think of one as primary or backup. If I carry two, both are what I would be willing to carry if I were only carrying one. My rationale is if you are in a situation and have to fall back to your "backup", then it is now your primary weapon. I also think of it as another option. Perhaps a weak side pocket revolver (or jacket pocket like you had) and a strong side semi IWB. There's nothing wrong with using a 5 shot 38 snub to defend yourself...they've been getting the job done for decades upon decades.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I learned that lesson a long time ago. I never carry anything smaller (calibre, and capacity) than my S&W 60-14 Lady Smith J frame .357magnum.

I carry IWB 3 O'clock full size .45 acp. Normally 1911 configuration or G21. My "second" gun now is a G19 on right hand holster. Galco "J" hook at 7 or 8 o'clock for left hand draw.

When you carry two guns (legally that is) you are more than likely to be armed at all times. That's the beauty of dual carry. If you are responsible enough to carry one, two guns is no big deal.

You never know what a bad guy/gal will look like when/where/if the MOMENT ever comes...BG's come in all shapes & sizes...& usually have the element of surprise on their side...You have to react Fast & you gotta do it right...A primary is a the weapon that will get you there the fastest & sometimes your best prymary will be your hands not a gun.
    Some people call me the Space Cowboy...Some call me the Gangster of Love.

Keep your Cool...Dont Freeze

I have a slightly different take I carry two guns all the time. Now here comes my twist I carry two Glock 26's. Both are owb on my left and right side concealed usually under a untucked shirt. I learned two lessons recently that cause me to carry two of the same.

One because of my food blister (gut) I cant reach my strongside gun with my weak hand. So if I get shot in my strong side arm and need to get draw my strongside gun with weak hand I can't.

Second if I need a larger caliber with more capacity on my strongside why would I not need that on my weakside as well. Not to mention makes carrying spare mags a easy as well one size fits both.

May be overkill but would rather go down fighting that unable to get my gun .
    The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

I keep all my carry guns loaded with CorBon DPX so I would feel comfortable with which ever one I can get to first. ( Glock 23 40 S&W IWB or Taurus Ultra-Light 38+p front pocket )

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My back-up is normally my M&P9c so I can use my two full size M&P mags for my compact. I do feel better with two guns with me but it does get a little bit out of hand with that much weight everyday.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by RTSteve View Post
    I usually refer to my Glock 19 in my IWB holster as my primary carry and my Ruger LCR in my pocket as my backup. Last night I was in a gas station late at night and when a somewhat rough looking man walked in, my hand slipped into my pocket onto the handle of my LCR. The man just paid for his gas and left, and I paid for my things and left as well and realized, if the worst case had went down, my 5 shot LCR would have been my primary, and only if I needed more rounds would I have gone to my backup 19.

I guess it depends on the situation, if I had time to draw properly I would go for my 19 first, but if anticipating something is "not right", I can slip my hand into my pocket and get a shooting grip on my LCR. I guess I just feel guilty for labeling my LCR as my backup when there are many situations in which it would be my primary defense weapon.

Not really a discussion topic as much as an observation.

What do others carry as primary/backup?
    I carried a few:

4" Revolver / J-Frame
    GP100 / SP101 /J-Frame
    1911 /J-Frame
    Hi Power /J-Frame
    Glock /J-Frame
    Glock/ Kahr PM9/J-Frame

Current:

Glock 19/26

There's something comforting about being able to slip your hand into your pocket and grip a gun when something feels "not quite right" but doesn't yet meet the legal standard to display a weapon.

Biker

Biker

I've been carrying a Glock 23 as primary but I'm considering switching to my Walther PPS as it is so thin and weighs a lot less. But it doesn't carry as many rounds. My secondary is a Ruger LCP in .380 on my left ankle.

I'm a huge believer in carrying a secondary, but it is a personal decision. I also carry extra magazines. I had a 'wake-up' call one day and all I was carrying was a .380, with no extra magazines, on my left ankle - against 3 armed men! God saved me that day but I've been doing my part ever since!

I used to carry my Glock 19 or Kimber Ultra Carry IWB as my primary and my LCP on the ankle for my BUG. But that all changed last week when I purchased a Glock 30sf for my primary and my S&W M&P 340 .357 mag finally came in and has replaced my LCP on the ankle.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Sponsored Links