Guns and bars - Page 3

Guns and bars

This is a discussion on Guns and bars within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 Actually TBob that's not correct. You could not CC, but OC was and still is perfectly legal. I've carried in restaurants ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guns and bars

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually TBob that's not correct. You could not CC, but OC was and still is perfectly legal. I've carried in restaurants from Richmond up throughout NoVA and VA Beach, and to Roanoke and Charlottesville. Switch to OC and go about my business. Never had a problem in the 11 years I've been doing it.
    I apologize for not being that specific. Thank you for bring this point of clarity. Since this is a CC issues and discussion forum, I assumed that's what we were discussing.

I know about OC but don't choose to go that route. My military training emphasized surprise as a key tactical advantage, and I'll take all the advantages I can get when things go that bad. YMMV.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Maybe the government should just outlaw alcohol, oh wait we tried that already. Here in CO bars are not off limits and I don't remember any shootouts between CCW permit holders. I guess you shouldn't start any fights if you are in a bar. I've never had a bar fight nor have I witnessed one. I don't go to very many rough bars and lately I don't go to bars except country dance places. They never seem to had trouble or I seem to miss the action.

So if someone is choking you to death, that's not a threat? I guess it depends on how big he is versus you and how close to death you are.

I like guns and cars. Both are potentially dangerous and deadly if utilized carelessly or by idiots. Certainly alcohol can increase the risk and is generally not the best idea when using either.
    BUT
    Currently it is legal for a person to OC in a restaurant that serves alcohol and have a drink. It will still be legal to do the same after July 1st. If you CONCEAL carry on 7/1 and after you cannot drink. There is a law in VA that basically amounts to if you get arrested for public drunkeness or DUI and have a firearm they can tack another misdemeanor on for posessing a firearm while under the influence of alcohol. Responsibly having a drink with your meal while OC does not constitute breaking that particular law. I have no issue with obeying the law by OC into my favorite Mexican Restaurant and have a margarita (one, uno) with my fajitas. I typically don't. If a group is going after work for the margarita special and I want to go, the weapon stays cable locked to the seat frame in the car. I rarely do that (married with kids, not much social time).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    While the majority of people on this board are responsible gun owners and could be trusted in a bar with a gun, there are A LOT of people who should not have a gun in a bar. It's usually the few bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us, like it or not.
    And those people will carry and do things regardless of the law......meanwhile, the law-abiding are punished...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by RTSteve View Post
    Last week I went to eat lunch with my sister-in-law and the restaurant she chose had a bar in it. I did not realize this fact until I saw a sign on the front door stating "no firearms". I went back to my truck, unloaded my guns, and locked them in the glove box keeping the ammo on me.

In Tennessee, lawmakers had passed a law allowing CC in restaurants that also served alcohol. The courts threw it out as being too vague. Now they are trying to pass legislation allowing CC in all establishments that serve alcohol, whether food is served or not.

I would love to be able to go eat lunch without leaving my firearms in my vehicle, but I'm not so sure about allowing CC in bars and nightclubs. As crowded as these places get, even a sober person is going to have trouble maintaining possession a weapon if a large fight breaks out.

What are your opinions on guns in bars?
    Did you lose your judgment while in there ? Did you suddenly have an urge to turn into a raving lunatic and start shooting up the place ? Did you draw your weapon due to some uncontrollable urge ?

I'm sure you didn't. Law abiding citizens who go to the lengths to get a CC license, aren't going to suddenly be any different because they are in a place that serves alcohol.

It's legal here, and funny thing happened..... nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Our bill takes effect July 1,2010 after being vetoed by our previous Governator. My local paper has been beside itself since it became apparent our current Gov. would sign the bill. They just won't let it go and I look forward to more drivel like this:

A case study of guns in bars - Roanoke.com
    There are still quite a few who do not understand, Virginia Does Not Have Bars. Every place that serves alcohol by the drink MUST SERVE FOOD. They also do not get that we already can carry guns in those establishments, but they must be open carried, and we can drink while open carrying (I don't). With the new bill, drinking is not allowed while carrying concealed. The Roanoke Times will never get it. My advice is, "Don't subscribe to the paper."

There are many states in the south that do not have any bars. The large number of bars in "bible belt" states alarmed many years ago so it was decided that in many states you must serve some sort of food thus becoming a restaurant.

Perhaps not allowing the carrying of firearms where they sell alcohol might be beneficial, after all you can not do drugs or drink and then drive. How are they working out?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, "bars and taverns" are off-limit to CC; restaurants that serve alcohol are okay as long as you don't sit at the area that is primarily for serving alcohol (the bar). No silly "51%" rules here. Nothing against comsuming alcohol, but common sence must prevail. I know of no circumstances where someone got rowdy in a Chile's or otherwise and let loose.

My view: If the business says "Bar" or "Tavern" in the business name, I don't CC. But that's not my type of place anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    We started allowing CC in bars and restaurants on September 30th. It's been a big "non-event." No issues to report, no problems in the media, no shootouts. All in all it was, as Macbeth said, "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

So I am fine with it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Ohio will probably get carry in liquor serving restaurants this year. Having to disarm before I can have a decent meal is a pain, and the change will benefit me greatly.

As far as bars go, I see no reason to go to a bar without drinking. Since I NEVER drink while carrying, I would never carry into a bar since I would have no reason to be there with a gun even were it legal.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    And those people will carry and do things regardless of the law......meanwhile, the law-abiding are punished...
    Agreed. It is just like all the other places that say . They dont stop the BG from carrying so why should I not carry. I refuse to be a victim just because some silly law invites criminals into a victim disarment zone. This is just stupid.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

I carry in restaurants/bars in NYS. I just will have a beer or 2 and then stop. When carrying you have to take responsibility for yourself.

UPDATE!!! Shooters not CCP holders. HELP!!!

UPDATE!! I've blogged and e-mailed the writer of the story and have called him on a misstatement of fact in his story. I have also requested a correction be published!!!

Any DC members that feel compelled to write letters to the editor would be greatly appreciated!!! We need your help.

The two brothers that were illegally carrying concealed in the bar and shot the people WERE NOT CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT HOLDERS as the story claims. Their applications had been approved on Thursday Aug 28, 1997 and the incident occurred on Saturday Aug 30, 1997. Their permits had not yet been issued nor received. As of the date of the event, they were not licensed to carry concealed ANYWHERE.

I have pointed this out on Dan Casey's Blog related to this story and initially he ignored my comments, then replied with sarcasm. After an e-mail from me, he has acknowledged my request for a published correction and said he is going to research the issue.

We need to hold him accountable for misconstruing the facts in his story. These folks were no more licensed to carry concealed than a person who passes the driving test and has not yet been issued a driver's license licensed to operate a motor vehicle.

This is a very important untruth in the story that needs to be corrected. The concealed permit angle didn't exist and was irrelevant to the story. His blog page says that he knows a little about a lot of things but not a lot about anything, but it doesn't stop him from writing about it, so feel free to keep him honest.

I've maintained a very professional demeaner in my communications with him. Anyone interested in reading the comments, here's the link. Here is an opportunity for us to hold a columnist accountable for the truth.

Sunday’s column: A case study of guns in bars | Dan Casey's blog: Roanoke Times metro columnist writes what's on his mind - Roanoke.com
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    UPDATE!! I've blogged and e-mailed the writer of the story and have called him on a misstatement of fact in his story. I have also requested a correction be published!!!

Good job.

Good research.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by RTSteve View Post
    I agree, but thanks to our judicial system in Tennessee, the legislature feels the only way they can write a law that will stand up to judicial review is to allow CC in restaurants and bars.

I've heard that Texas allows CC when at least 50% of the revenue comes from food rather than alcohol. I just wish that Tennessee could find some other way of allowing CC in restaurants without putting more guns in our crowded bars and clubs.

TN does not license bars.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links