Guns and bars - Page 4

Guns and bars

This is a discussion on Guns and bars within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guardian Weapons and alcohol do not mix period. If it serves alcohol, it's should not be allowed period. I would fight against ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guns and bars

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Weapons and alcohol do not mix period. If it serves alcohol, it's should not be allowed period.

I would fight against it with everything I have, it's not a question of "If", but "When".

I will say this for those who say that folks should be able to carry wherever they want and if they screw up, they deserve to loose their CCP license and such, well news story for you folks, it's always someone innocent that's on the receiving end of that screw up just like a drunk driver, someone innocent gets hurt or dies, not my wife. Stop it before it happens period!!!!!!!!!

This is my view on it.
    Alcohol and cars do not mix either. Alcohol and kids do not mix. Maybe alcohol is the problem. No alcohol in public sounds good.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Prohibit drinking in establishments if carrying and forget about it, nothing is going to change.
    Or... don't prohibit drinking if carrying. Nothing is going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by RTSteve View Post
    Last week I went to eat lunch with my sister-in-law and the restaurant she chose had a bar in it. I did not realize this fact until I saw a sign on the front door stating "no firearms". I went back to my truck, unloaded my guns, and locked them in the glove box keeping the ammo on me.

In Tennessee, lawmakers had passed a law allowing CC in restaurants that also served alcohol. The courts threw it out as being too vague. Now they are trying to pass legislation allowing CC in all establishments that serve alcohol, whether food is served or not.

I would love to be able to go eat lunch without leaving my firearms in my vehicle, but I'm not so sure about allowing CC in bars and nightclubs. As crowded as these places get, even a sober person is going to have trouble maintaining possession a weapon if a large fight breaks out.

What are your opinions on guns in bars?

Actually it was one lone judge with an agenda. Once again, TN does not license bars, only restaurants that serve. To keep their license they MUST get the majority of their income from food. The ABC just fails to enforce this law.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Actually it was one lone judge with an agenda.
    It's fine with me. We are going to get a better statute out of the deal, and there is no doubt that the old statute was vague as all get out.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Golly Gee Willikers. Let's just pass even more gun laws. We sure do need lots more.

> If a person does not get a full 8 hours of sleep at night they should not be allowed to carry a gun the next day. Their judgment could be impaired.

> If a person is Diabetic they should not be allowed to carry a firearm AT ALL...because they could go into a Diabetic Coma and then they would lose control of their firearm. A bad guy could easily snatch it and then use it to kill some innocent person.

> Same if anybody has Epilepsy. They could very possibly have a seizure during a deadly threat scenario and then their accuracy would suffer greatly because they would convulsing and they are VERY LIKELY to miss the bad guy and hit somebody else.

> Anybody suffering with allergies and taking any sort of allergy medication...Sorry! Turn in your license to carry.

> Anybody with KIDS. You're out too. Kids and Guns Don't Mix either.
    And...we're only human and so we can never be perfect...you could possibly be having a really busy and hectic day and forget to secure your firearm...then YOUR kid could get ahold of your gun and kill my kid so...turn in your firearms. So...if you have kids...no guns for you.

> More than 5 cups of strong coffee in one day...Hey Baby - Caffeine IS A DRUG! and it affects The Central Nervous System & it sure makes me Really Jumpy & Nervous & Jittery...so I'm sure that it must have the exact same effect on everybody else.
    You SHOULD NOT be allowed into Starbucks if you intend to carry a firearm....or at least Everybody should be limited to one cup of coffee in the morning.
    I don't want any hopped up caffeine head coffee junkies carrying a gun around my kids.

I could go ON & ON.

It makes me puke when people are so willing to trade away parcels of their Constitutional rights for more stupid laws.

How about trying a little bit of adult personal responsibility FIRST?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It makes me puke when people are so willing to trade away parcels of their Constitutional rights for more stupid laws.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    We Tennesseans had the right to carry in restaurants for a few months last year until a liberal judge overturned the bill which originally passed both the House and Senate. The original bill was veto'ed by the Governor, then the veto was overturned by the Senate.

Here is the new bill that has some "new language" clarifying what the judge had issues with.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Bill/HB3125.pdf
    Proud NRA member

I've worked and lived in Germany for several years, have carried a pistol there, and can attest that guns and alcohol DO mix.

It's guns and idiots that don't mix, and our laws should punish the idiots.

I'm from Michigan. They have the 50% or over rule: so restaurants that serve alcohol are fine, bars are not. I was then in college. I had plenty of friends that liked going to bars. Although (at least for the large majority of my college career) I did not drink, I very much enjoyed going with my friends, eating good food (we had a lot of bars that were also restaurants, not just restaurants that also had bars), and hanging out. I could not carry in these places, and I REALLY wish I could have. They places we went were good places, not tons of crazy drunks all over the place. We sat at tables and booths, not up at the bar. I of course did not drink. I could VERY easily carry there with no concern about it being ' a bar ' .
    I now live in TN. Here I cant carry in a restaurant. This is an entirely different situation. Although I don't eat out a ton, if I am going to be out and about in the city, its quite likely that I will. Of course I can leave my gun in the car, but I have to admit, thats a hassle. When I first moved here I tended to leave my gun at home too often b/c all I was doing was going out to eat. Its a bad situation and I hate it. It eventually lead me to not carrying when my plan was to go out to eat then get groceries.. you get the point. I really hope TN smartens up quick and gets a law passed. I now don't really go to bars, just a few sports bar restaurant type places. There are a few places that may or may not be considered a 'bar', such as a sports 'bar' I go to and watch football and shoot billiards, which would probably leave me empty-handed with michigan's law. I would love for TN to allow carry in any of these places, but would be happy as a clam for them to at least allow it in a place like applebees.

As far as whether or not you 'should' carry in a bar. I think its pretty simple. Obviously if you are going to drink, then no. Personally I dont think one should drink at all, but I wont get into that. If you do carry into a bar, you obviously have to do so tactfully. Don't go into one of those small crowded bars where everyone is drinking. Choose a place where there is plenty of room to move about- one that has tables or booths and doesnt have tons and tons of people. Be warey and be sure to sit somewhere where there is little chance of someone running into you, especially on your gun side. Don't go wiggling through a group of people and brushing up against someone. Do whatever you can to never get in a confrontation with someone (applys to outside of bars too). Just play it safe and be aware of everyone around you. Like I said, I think there are tons of bars, especially 'sports bars', where it is very safe to carry and I wish I could. If I want to go eat hot wings and shoot some pool and watch football with some friends, I should be allowed to.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Why is it that every time this type of thread comes up someone brings up that any trace of Alcohol can give a DA a chance to press the issue.

Is not that more of an indictment of the stupid DA than the CCW holder?

Some people up here are just too damn defensive. Which part of "Shall not be infringed" do they not get? DUH?
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I still feel that booze and guns don't mix but that's my personal feelings.

I've sat here and read and acknowledged the good points made all the way around and see the side of those claiming don't give up any right to carry, don't give away anymore of your constitutional rights, responsible people can handle both and while I agree in theory with all of that and agree that responsible people or mature adults should be able to handle alcohol and carrying and all that good stuff and while I agree, we really don't need more laws to govern our right to carry especially when we have fought so hard to get where we are today.

My one concern is, when you mix alcohol with anything, you turn responsible, mature adults into anything but responsible mature adults and that has been scientifically proven and history shows that all over the place (i.e. Drunk Drivers killing people, happens all the time, maybe not in astronomical numbers, but enough to have made organizations like MADD and laws against it, enough people have died that it garnished national attention, but it took years and years for that to come about before the deaths mounted enough and people came together to make it known, it didn't happen over night folks. Same principles apply here.

I don't understand the nullification of that here, like what, we carry, now all of sudden were exempt from the effects of alcohol. I carry a gun, so alcohol won't affect me, please, let's not play that game, not if were mature, responsible adults as we claim.

The incident listed right on this site in Philadelphia where the dude supposedly who felt threatened by all those guys shot the dude what 5/6 times, they were all out in an area and was not alcohol involved supposedly. They were out at night in a part of town where partying was the only subject going on, let's not fool each other that alcohol didn't play into this scenario.

I don't want as QKShooter put it more laws to deal with. I want common sense to rule the day again both ways. Crap, time for work. Have a great day everyone.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Golly Gee Willikers..

WELL SAID QK!
    +1000
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by billzfx4 View Post
    Indiana has no restrictions on carrying in any establishment that serves alcohol, and for the life of me I can't remember reading about any bloodbaths or shoot 'em ups.

Just sayin'.
    I know the smart thing to say is guns and alcohol dont mix, but blaiming the alcohol is like blaming the gun and not the person pulling the trigger....I for one would like to be able to have my gun at the bar, I am comfortable in my ability to temper my drinking and if the other guys arnt well then, they will probably also have a gun when they shouldnt so at least I would be prepared......I think this is all akin to the whole anti-handgun argument about only criminals will be carying.....just my 2 cents.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Cars kill far more people than firearms, but you've never heard of a law prohibiting taking you car to a bar, have yah?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

re

maybe "bar" should be defined a little better before i respond..
    we have bars here that are very upscale high income hangouts and then we some purty rough bikers bars as well - i've been in both but not armed-florida law prohibits that unless the bar is separate form the eating area and even then there are some gray areas - but generally speaking i don't advocate the use of alcohol and firearms in any circumstance - besides i shoot high and left when buzzzzed
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links