Guns and bars

Guns and bars

This is a discussion on Guns and bars within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week I went to eat lunch with my sister-in-law and the restaurant she chose had a bar in it. I did not realize this ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guns and bars

Guns and bars

Last week I went to eat lunch with my sister-in-law and the restaurant she chose had a bar in it. I did not realize this fact until I saw a sign on the front door stating "no firearms". I went back to my truck, unloaded my guns, and locked them in the glove box keeping the ammo on me.

In Tennessee, lawmakers had passed a law allowing CC in restaurants that also served alcohol. The courts threw it out as being too vague. Now they are trying to pass legislation allowing CC in all establishments that serve alcohol, whether food is served or not.

I would love to be able to go eat lunch without leaving my firearms in my vehicle, but I'm not so sure about allowing CC in bars and nightclubs. As crowded as these places get, even a sober person is going to have trouble maintaining possession a weapon if a large fight breaks out.

What are your opinions on guns in bars?

Our bill takes effect July 1,2010 after being vetoed by our previous Governator. My local paper has been beside itself since it became apparent our current Gov. would sign the bill. They just won't let it go and I look forward to more drivel like this:

A case study of guns in bars - Roanoke.com

Don't go to the bar. I try to stay away from places where trouble has a higher probability of happening.

I do agree that the restaurant that serves alcohol is not a problem like the crowded bar and you can have a drink with a meal.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Alcohol and gunpowder do not mix!

If you are going drinking don't carry. If you are carrying don't drink.

The best way to avoid a gunfight is to avoid places where gunfights tend to occur.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post

The best way to avoid a gunfight is to avoid places where gunfights tend to occur.
    I don't think the OP had any intention of drinking. I am of the opinion that you should be allowed to carry legally in any restaurant or bar as long as you are not drinking.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post

I must agree with this. I have no problem with CCW in establishments that serve alcohol, but you shouldn't drink and carry. I often carry in restaurants, my wife and I just don't sit in the bar area like we used to and I stick to iced tea when we're out. I like my beer, but when it comes to guns and alcohol it's one of the other.

I should've added this to my reply with the newspaper article:

"It's not about guns and drinking: it's about guns and baked potatoes."

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    I should've added this to my reply with the newspaper article:

"It's not about guns and drinking: it's about guns and baked potatoes."
    Well said!
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    Don't go to the bar. I try to stay away from places where trouble has a higher probability of happening.

I do agree that the restaurant that serves alcohol is not a problem like the crowded bar and you can have a drink with a meal.
    I agree, but thanks to our judicial system in Tennessee, the legislature feels the only way they can write a law that will stand up to judicial review is to allow CC in restaurants and bars.

I've heard that Texas allows CC when at least 50% of the revenue comes from food rather than alcohol. I just wish that Tennessee could find some other way of allowing CC in restaurants without putting more guns in our crowded bars and clubs.

VIP Member
    RTSteve, Just look at the statistics in the states that already allow it. The fears are not proven out. There are no drunken gun battles every night. Nobody shooting the places up. It's all the sheep and anti's lack of knowledge and baseless fears.
    I remember all the predictions of the "streets running red with blood" if CC was allowed. It was the same prediction in every state, but it has not happened.
    Prohibit drinking in establishments if carrying and forget about it, nothing is going to change. The law abiding carriers will continue to abide by the law, and the scumbags will continue to break it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Indiana has no restrictions on carrying in any establishment that serves alcohol, and for the life of me I can't remember reading about any bloodbaths or shoot 'em ups.

Just sayin'.

While the majority of people on this board are responsible gun owners and could be trusted in a bar with a gun, there are A LOT of people who should not have a gun in a bar. It's usually the few bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us, like it or not.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Quote Originally Posted by JarHead81mm View Post
    I must agree with this. I have no problem with CCW in establishments that serve alcohol, but you shouldn't drink and carry. I often carry in restaurants, my wife and I just don't sit in the bar area like we used to and I stick to iced tea when we're out. I like my beer, but when it comes to guns and alcohol it's one or the other.
    Here in FL, any permit holder can sit in a restaurant and have a beer with dinner...occasionally, I have down that (forget the flames).
    There are lots of CCW permitted individuals inside establishments (not bars) who are around food and alcohol while armed. I'm not aware of any deadly shootouts in the GunShine State where a permit holder decided to clear the place with 'flying lead'.

There are always some 'bozo' reporters who will find a story of a some permit holder who was at a biker initiation party and this fight broke out...yada, yada, yada...

The truth of the matter is that permit holders are statistically shown (it's been on this forum before) to commit fewer crimes than other 'groups' of people.
    Are there some goofy permit holders? Sure, right along with goofy teachers, goofy cops, goofy CEO's, goofy priests, etc..., and the list goes on and on...people are people.

I have no problem with guns around places that serve alcohol. I do not frequent bars, however, armed or not...not much good happens in bars in the evening hours...I'm too old for anymore of that crap.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 18th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billzfx4 View Post
    Indiana has no restrictions on carrying in any establishment that serves alcohol, and for the life of me I can't remember reading about any bloodbaths or shoot 'em ups.

Just sayin'.
    Bingo!

BTW OP: Do a search. There are a large number of threads on the subject of guns & alcohol -- and BTW not all folk here agree with the teetotaling opinion of alcohol and gun absolutely don't mix.

So, I expect we are off and running again.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by billzfx4 View Post

Just sayin'.
    Same deal here in PA. This topic comes up fairly often, and I always point out that it has been legal to carry into any establishment that sells, or serves alcohol, for at least twenty years here. There are no restrictions on where you may sit, it's perfectly legal to drink while carrying, and there is no restriction on BAC while carrying. It's not a problem.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who seem to feel that there needs to be regulation. Seems like it's mostly people in states where there is regulation. We have at least two decades worth of evidence that shows there's no need, but for some reason, many just can't accept that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links