My advice to new gun owners.

This is a discussion on My advice to new gun owners. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I'm not familar with FB, but if you allow certain friends to view special info, can't their friends view the same ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My advice to new gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not familar with FB, but if you allow certain friends to view special info, can't their friends view the same stuff? Just asking...

My wife is on facebook all the time (girl stuff), but I ignore it.

If you have your Facebook page properly secured they cannot. If it is set to private the only thing they will be able to view is your profile picture and that is it.

If you have your Facebook paged locked down properly nobody else can view your information without your permission unless one of your friends allowed someone to access their account. Other than that you will need to ask my permission to be added as a friend or you will have to hack into my account.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RTSteve View Post
    At the risk of sounding paranoid, I do not trust facebook. Do you notice how all the ads seemed relevant to you?
    I don't know if you noticed it a few months or half year ago there were a lot of "What great philosopher are you" or "what rock star are you" etc. Basically surveys to extract information about you but disguised as a "fun" thing to do.

That stuff may still be around but I don't know because I've blocked all that karp on my FB.

Quote Originally Posted by jackg View Post
    I guess that the "Genie in the bottle" is out when it comes to face book. My grand kids have these and I'm totally confounded that "children" are given access to such a potentially devastating piece of technology. Crazy/immature/stupid people can't be protected from themselves but what kills me is they are always clueless as to why odd things happen to them.
    Sorry for the rant but, the internet is not for children!!!!!

Not to get off topic but the internet is a great tool for children to use. You just have to know how to educate your child about the dangers. I'm old school when it comes to computers. I've worked in IT since 1989 and started BBS'ing that same year. We had bulletin board services before the intertubes came along.

The key word though is education. You have to be 13 years of age to have a Facebook account. I will not let my daughter have one till she is the proper age but once she is 13 I will set her account up myself. Make sure it is locked down properly and I will have her username/password so I can log in whenever I desire and she is aware that I will require her to give me this information if she wants an account on Facebook.

Being a computer guru helps me show her the good, the bad and the evil that is the intertubes but she has just as much right to access the great information out there just as I do. Just as you teach a child gun safety you have to teach them how to be safe on the intertubes.

If you are wondering why I call the internet the intertubes well you can thank Senator Ted Stevens for that one because he said the internet is a series of tubes and it has become a huge internet meme.

Distinguished Member
    Good point, Cycler. The virtual hairs can go up just like the real world. Best to heed the gut when the going gets creepy.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Face-book?

Is that something like a face-plant???
    +1 on that.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Friends don't let Friends post on Facebook.
    Kind Regards,
    Mark Landen

Sig P228 9mm ~ Triple serialized
    Sig P239 9mm ~ Two Tone NS
    Kahr PM9 ~ EDC

VIP Member
    I was a die-hard techno’ buff, way before it became a fad. However, FaceBook and Twitter is an identity thief’s dream come true.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

As cool as I thought it was in college, it has become ultra annoying in the post college year.

That and "texting"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    He has posted his actual physical address, his schedule of being away from the house, and has identified several items of value?

That's a very, very good way to get robbed or burglarized. Dumb x2.
    Actually it sound's as if the guy in question is going to learn a very valuable life lesson. If he is not smart enough to protect his personal information...so be it. It's called survival of the fittest. Perhaps it might make him a little smarter in the future.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I do not accept random friends and everyone I have as a friend is either a true friend or a relative but my profile is also set to private and my address is not even listed anywhere on my page. I don't think the pictures of the gun being posted is that big of a deal. I have posted pics of my Glocks on my facebook page before. Nothing has ever happened because I do not give out personal information to the entire world. Some people just lack intertube smarts.
    or because who would bother stealing a Glock

Just kidding...settle down
    Yocan

I hope your friend doesn't learn the hard way about flying under the radar.

Will pictures of his big screen TV be on facebook too.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I hope your friend doesn't learn the hard way about flying under the radar.

Will pictures of his big screen TV be on facebook too.
    No but his rant about getting robbed will be along with him lamenting that he cannot understand how it happened.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    or because who would bother stealing a Glock

Just kidding...settle down
    That made me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by PRSOrator View Post
    Nope, they must actually be your "friend", otherwise all the comes up is what ever you allow non-"friends" to see, friends of friends would be considered non-"friends" and cannot view your information, pictures, etc.

The transitive property does not apply here.
    Not so. I click on the "Bob was tagged in this photo" posts all the time. Not only does it let me see the photo Bob was tagged in, but I can look at EVERY photo in that album.

Good rule is, anything posted online is available for anyone online to see, if they want to see it.

Personally, I dont' do MyFace or SpaceBook, or anything of the such. If I haven't seen someone or talked with them in 20 years (or 5 for that matter), then there is likely a very good reason...no need to start now. That's just me.

Employers are also monitoring posts on these types of websites and people are getting fired for posting things that are "not consistent with the company's beliefs or image." They're also screening applicants via these pages too.

Bottom line is if you want to keep your personal life personal, don't post it on the internet anywhere. It can be found and used against you whether you know it or not.

This is the closest thing to a social media network that I've done...I'm ok with this though. I've learned a lot from the folks here. It's really helped shape my responsibilities for de-escalation, avoidance, courteousness, etc. due to carrying.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links