My advice to new gun owners.

This is a discussion on My advice to new gun owners. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm He has posted his actual physical address, his schedule of being away from the house, and has identified several items of ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My advice to new gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    He has posted his actual physical address, his schedule of being away from the house, and has identified several items of value?

That's a very, very good way to get robbed or burglarized. Dumb x2.
    I gathered that the second I saw "facebook" mentioned.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Several months ago someone used my credit card to purchase a $750 airline ticket to South Africa. It was easy to straighten out with the bank, but that's hardly the point.

Your info is out there. If you're relying on the security or integrity of Facebook (et al) then you're going to be rudely disappointed.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I will not let my daughter have one till she is the proper age but once she is 13 I will set her account up myself. Make sure it is locked down properly and I will have her username/password so I can log in whenever I desire and she is aware that I will require her to give me this information if she wants an account on Facebook.
    What about all her friends, school, the library, etc? Is she ever going to have a Wi-Fi/internet enabled phone, laptop, etc? You can set up an account in seconds from ANYWHERE using an easily generated free Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc email account. Even if you think "daddy's little girl" would NEVER change her password... She doesn't have to. She can just set up another account to "play" on. Or...just change that password, block your account name (if you have one), and make her profile "non-searcheable" by the general public. Even with her name or whatever, you'd NEVER see her there. She'll figure it out soon enough...her friends will help, too...

are you referring to preventing a robbery?

i have a CHP and i own handguns and i dont even have a facebook account , maybe i should let the BG's know i am armed and dangerous so dont try robbing me.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Facebook is the root of all evil!!
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    He has posted his actual physical address, his schedule of being away from the house, and has identified several items of value?

That's a very, very good way to get robbed or burglarized. Dumb x2.
    My mother just posted a story of one of her 'friends' getting robbed while on vacation. This woman posted she'd be out-of-town and blah blah blah.........
    She came home to her house ransacked. Police investigated and found that one of her facebook 'friends' did it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Another good reason not to be on face book...
    Yep that and the fact that some insurance companies are thinking about raising insurance premiums for people on face book because they post their address and when they travel, or vacation. Are people really this stupid?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackg View Post
    ...Sorry for the rant but, the internet is not for children!!!!!
    Yeah, duh, it's, like, for mature folks like me!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    ... Are people really this stupid?
    Wait...

Good point, though, about whatever you post being public. In fact, even the more cautious among us post a little bit here (hiding everything else) and a little bit there (hiding the first bit and everything else) and so on... to the point where a determined investigator could piece together quite a bit about a person. I was taken to task recently about this by my wife.

Whoops. Now you all know I'm married and occasionally in trouble. But I repeat myself...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Better yet, keep off Facebook altogether!

Get some real friends and go shooting. Are your "cyber-friends" going to be there if and when you need a helping hand?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Better yet, keep off Facebook altogether!

Get some real friends and go shooting. Are your "cyber-friends" going to be there if and when you need a helping hand?
    Best idea I've heard yet!

All of my guns are on facebook but I dont befreind people I dont know and noone else can view my profile, and none of my address or contact information is on there. I'm not really worried.
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Not so. I click on the "Bob was tagged in this photo" posts all the time. Not only does it let me see the photo Bob was tagged in, but I can look at EVERY photo in that album.

Good rule is, anything posted online is available for anyone online to see, if they want to see it.
    That happens, because Facebook is deceptive about the security settings for photos/videos. I have my account locked down as tight as you can (and am still carefull about the info I post/friends I allow), but what FB doesn't advertise well, is that you must reset the setting for every picture/album. Each time you post a new pic/vid/album you must go into that item and set it's individual security setting, because FBs default is everybody.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I don't use Face Book. I don't have any friends.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Police investigated and found that one of her facebook 'friends' did it.
    Really? How did they ascertain that "fact"?

ANY of those "friends" could have talked to family members, "real" friends...ANYBODY... How was her profile set up? If she allowed "friends of friends" to view it, ANYONE could have seen it. People she never could have possibly known about. With that setting, if a person were to "friend" someone and that "friend" goes ahead and "friends" 10,000 other people? Guess what...every one of those secondary "friends" can see the original person's profile, too. If I remember correctly, when viewing a profile, "friends of friends" was also the default setting and remained until changed.

So, a person with hundreds of "friends" or more (VERY common) and each one of those "friends" has hundreds of "friends" or more? I find it HARD to believe the police would track each and every one of those people down for a simply burglary...

Quote Originally Posted by mlanden View Post
    Friends don't let Friends post on Facebook.
    I agree 100%...spend the time at the range or reloading...Anything but giving up you privacy on facebook.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links