My advice to new gun owners.

This is a discussion on My advice to new gun owners. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I'm not familar with FB, but if you allow certain friends to view special info, can't their friends view the same ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My advice to new gun owners.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not familar with FB, but if you allow certain friends to view special info, can't their friends view the same stuff? Just asking...
    Only if they are loged in using their friend's account. I can let you see my arms but only you can see them. If your wife loged in under your username and password, then she could see them too. But only under those circumstances.

Take care,

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Not so. I click on the "Bob was tagged in this photo" posts all the time. Not only does it let me see the photo Bob was tagged in, but I can look at EVERY photo in that album.

Good rule is, anything posted online is available for anyone online to see, if they want to see it.
    Good point. I forgot about that, too. ANOTHER reason I dropped my facebook account.

They can also see the description the person wrote about the photo and EVERY comment made by others. Being a "friend" of any kind or NOT absolutely does not matter in this situation. Someone hellbent on destruction could tag a zillion people to every photo in a person's account for all to see. But, it's the "innocent" crap that really burns people. Take my ex-wife, for example. She would NOT leave me alone on facebook, even after I blocked her. She'd get mutual friends to tag her on my photos and she could STILL see them. That crazy b^tch would copy/paste them to her computer and email them to me "just to let me know" she could still "see" me.

I also couldn't tell which "friends" did the tagging, either. So, I shut the whole goddamned thing down. Good riddance...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    Only if they are loged in using their friend's account. I can let you see my arms but only you can see them. If your wife loged in under your username and password, then she could see them too. But only under those circumstances.
    Not true. Refer to my "friends of friends" explanation and how ANY "secondary friend", who you may not even know, can see EVERYTHING in your profile... Or how ANY friend can tag ANYONE and allow them to see ANY picture and read all the descriptions/comments.

For example, say you and I have a mutual friend on facebook, but you and I don't know each other. "Mutual friend" guy knows about all your gun pictures because he's seen them and thinks to himself, "Hey... Targus is a big gun guy, too. Maybe he'd like to see some of Craig's stuff..." So, "mutual friend" guy goes to your photos and tags me. I now can see all of those photos and read everything associated with them. And, as previously mentioned, not just that photo. ALL photos in that album. Just hit "next". I'd even get a nice, convenient little email notifying me that I'd been tagged, too, just in case I missed it on facebook.

I fact, I don't even have to BE a "friend" of "mutual friend" guy. You can tag ANYONE. Even people who don't have a facebook account. "Tagging" is used for identifying individual people in group photos so the others who ARE friends can see who everyone is. If a "non user" is tagged and signs up in the future with the same name, guess what? He'll automatically be notified that he's tagged in that photo...and, of course, the entire album can now be seen. SOOOO many loopholes...

In terms of posting, I totally stay off of YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTwitFace :)

I occasionally use LinkedIn but don't post anything that could haunt me in any way.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

This has a lot more to do with social engineering protection and smart online identity management than anything else. This type of problem goes far beyond 2A and gun ownership. Secure and savvy social network navigation is a skill unto itself

Post all the pictures you want but be sure you have adequately protected your identity. This includes identity management on public computers and wireless networks.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    All of my guns are on facebook but I dont befreind people I dont know and noone else can view my profile, and none of my address or contact information is on there. I'm not really worried.
    See above... So you don't post your address, etc, huh? Guess people can't mention to other people who DO know you in "real life" about your stuff on facebook, right?

yes, you can change who can see what on your facebook page, and should certainly set those limits, but also realize that anything you post on the internet anywhere can be seen by anyone. Its not that hard. Dont post anything anywhere you dont want others to see. I use facebook some to keep up with friends, and dont allow any non friends (including friends friends) to see anything. But I also try hard to not post too much info about things that I wouldnt want people to know about, such as my address
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

people love showing off their crap. new cars, guns. etc.

there are a bunch of haters out there. even your "friends" are haters so i wouldnt wanna wake up one morning to find eggs all over my car.

same thing with guns, i wouldnt want my hating friends knowing that i have guns etc.

concealed means concealed.

Yet ANOTHER thing with facebook is your profile/privacy settings can CHANGE without your knowledge or permission. Sometimes they do updates, change the layout, etc. When I had an account, I noticed my settings got changed once and kept a close eye on them after that. They changed more than once.

Also, it's not a bad idea to create another "fake" profile to search/check out your "real" profile to see what others who are NOT friends can see, despite your settings. You just might be surprised. That's is exactly how I "caught" facebook changing my settings. I was seeing things I shouldn't have been allowed to see by a "nobody" and when I went back to check my "real" account...sho 'nuff. Stuff had been changed...

Sound too "tin foil"? Well, we ARE talking about the internet and identity theft, malicious use of info, etc. And, facebook makes it ALL THAT MUCH EASIER/WORSE.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Not to get off topic but the internet is a great tool for children to use. You just have to know how to educate your child about the dangers. I'm old school when it comes to computers. I've worked in IT since 1989 and started BBS'ing that same year. We had bulletin board services before the intertubes came along.

The key word though is education. You have to be 13 years of age to have a Facebook account. I will not let my daughter have one till she is the proper age but once she is 13 I will set her account up myself. Make sure it is locked down properly and I will have her username/password so I can log in whenever I desire and she is aware that I will require her to give me this information if she wants an account on Facebook.

Being a computer guru helps me show her the good, the bad and the evil that is the intertubes but she has just as much right to access the great information out there just as I do. Just as you teach a child gun safety you have to teach them how to be safe on the intertubes.

If you are wondering why I call the internet the intertubes well you can thank Senator Ted Stevens for that one because he said the internet is a series of tubes and it has become a huge internet meme.
    I do agree with your point and I should have been more specific when I said the internet is not for children what I meant to say was that too many parents are just too lazy to get up from the couch and understand what the kids want to do and monitor their behavior while on line.
    It's the irresponsible parents that cheese me off.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

My wife and I won't go near face-book. Looks like bad things often times come from messing around with it. Call me old fashioned and paranoid, but it scares me.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    My wife and I won't go near face-book. Looks like bad things often times come from messing around with it. Call me old fashioned and paranoid, but it scares me.
    Yup. And, many marriages and relationships have been tubed because of crap like this. It's just too easy to look up and reconnect with old flames.

Or, even worse...they come out of the woodwork and find YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post

concealed means concealed.
    Well stated.

My daughter said she had deleted her facebook ... and everything on it so it no longer existed. I asked her if she wanted to "make a bet". She bet me, at which point I googled it and pulled it all up... still there, pics & all... somewhere in cyber space.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My daughter said she had deleted her facebook ... and everything on it so it no longer existed. I asked her if she wanted to "make a bet". She bet me, at which point I googled it and pulled it all up... still there, pics & all... somewhere in cyber space.
    I find that hard to believe. After I deactivated my account (you can't actually DELETE an account, by the way), I searched for my stuff on all the popular search engines and didn't find a thing. Believe me, I know how to search... Didn't even find anything linking me to facebook at all.

The thing to remember is when you "deactivate" an account, facebook STILL has everything you put in there on a server somewhere. How long do they keep it? Who knows. People also don't think about the employees/IT staff who have access and can see EVERYTHING, regardless of privacy settings, as well... Or give access to WHOMEVER they want...

Make sure your daughters, wives, girlfriends, etc KNOW that before posting racy pictures. Some of my friends had some doozies up. Or...don't...somebody out there wants them and is probably yanking it right now over said pictures...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links