My advice to new gun owners. - Page 5

My advice to new gun owners.

This is a discussion on My advice to new gun owners. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by targus Not true. Refer to my "friends of friends" explanation and how ANY "secondary friend", who you may not even know, can ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by targus View Post
    Not true. Refer to my "friends of friends" explanation and how ANY "secondary friend", who you may not even know, can see EVERYTHING in your profile... Or how ANY friend can tag ANYONE and allow them to see ANY picture and read all the descriptions/comments.

For example, say you and I have a mutual friend on facebook, but you and I don't know each other. "Mutual friend" guy knows about all your gun pictures because he's seen them and thinks to himself, "Hey... Targus is a big gun guy, too. Maybe he'd like to see some of Craig's stuff..." So, "mutual friend" guy goes to your photos and tags me. I now can see all of those photos and read everything associated with them. And, as previously mentioned, not just that photo. ALL photos in that album. Just hit "next". I'd even get a nice, convenient little email notifying me that I'd been tagged, too, just in case I missed it on facebook.

I fact, I don't even have to BE a "friend" of "mutual friend" guy. You can tag ANYONE. Even people who don't have a facebook account. "Tagging" is used for identifying individual people in group photos so the others who ARE friends can see who everyone is. If a "non user" is tagged and signs up in the future with the same name, guess what? He'll automatically be notified that he's tagged in that photo...and, of course, the entire album can now be seen. SOOOO many loopholes...
    Not meaning to keep this going but what you stated is not 100% true if you have your page locked down properly. You will not be able to view any of my information unless I allow you to, it is that simple.

You can close the loopholes with ease but people never take the time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    what you stated is not 100% true if you have your page locked down properly. You will not be able to view any of my information unless I allow you to, it is that simple.
    Absolutely untrue...again... If a "friend" of yours tagged me (or ANYONE) in one of your photos... I do NOT even have to be a "friend" of that guy if he knows the correct facebook name which can EASILY be found via search for the majority of account holders. Like I said before, you can tag people who are NOT EVEN ON FACEBOOK as that's what people do in group photos to identify everyone for the ones who ARE on facebook. If those non-FB people join later with their same name...guess what??? They are TAGGED/HAVE ACCESS to your photos whether YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. Just think... What if those people were your WORST enemies from high school, college, etc or something? Did you "allow them to" view that photo(s) as you claimed above? NOPE.

And, I'd get a nice email notification so I could most DEFINITELY see YOUR picture (and all associated comments) AND every other picture (with comments) in YOUR album. NO way to "lock that one down". You DO let your "friends" see your photos, right? If not, what's the point of posting them in the first place?

Also, don't forget the ol' "right click/save as". ANY photo in your account can be copied/saved by ANY one of your "friends". Who knows where it can go from there. Maybe to someone like me? The point is...you'd never know...unless it came back to bite you in the ass.

And, apparently, you missed where I said facebook CAN and DOES change peoples' privacy settings WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE/PERMISSION. They did it to me (more than once) and it happens, especially, after updates and layout changes. You are NOT 100% "locked down" all the time.

There are pictures of me out there when I was younger that others have posted to a group I belong to. I don't care about these pictures. Nothing harmful in them and I am tagged in most of them but there is still no way you can view any of my personal pictures on my Facebook page because I am tagged in photos that someone has posted in that group. You can get to my profile where you will be greeted with a lot of nothing.

I know that if I post something on someone's wall the world might be able to read it if I let them. You can post to someone's wall so only they can read it but if I place a comment in a group a lot of others can read it but again. They cannot get to my pictures. I know this as fact. I have a dummy account on Facebook. I've tried to do what you state can be done. Well I cannot access my pictures from that account no matter how hard I try and I'm logged in on a different computer when I do attempt this.

I also went to tagged pictures that my friends have of others and the only way I can view pictures of them is if their profile lets me. If they are not sharing the photos with everyone, even while tagged in a photo I cannot access their photos. I can only access the ones that allow me access.

As far as the right click/save I'm fine with that. If I post it I'm ok with the world seeing it if it happens. There is a pic out in cyberspace of my butt in a thong. Long story but it's out there and thousands have seen it and yes, I have a very nice butt, not that you care but if you are going to pull that stunt, at least look good doing it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links