My advice to new gun owners.

This is a discussion on My advice to new gun owners. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please excuse my rant that follows. . . Keep pictures of your guns off of Facebook! A friend of mine is new to firearms and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Please excuse my rant that follows. . .

Keep pictures of your guns off of Facebook!

A friend of mine is new to firearms and recently bought a taurus slim and a judge. The next day his page was covered with pictures of his new firearms. He does not have his concealed carry, so every time he leaves the house, the guns are left inside his house. His status updates usually have something to do with his guns. A brief overview of his page also reveals the hours he works and his address. He has close to 1000 facebook friends so I'm certain that there is someone who looks at his page who he doesn't realize.

We are all proud of our firearms and enjoy talking to our friends about them. However, just because someone is you "facebook friend", they are not necessarily your friend.

So my advise,

1.) Set you security settings on facebook so only your friends can see information on your profile

2.) Be cautious who you add as a friend on facebook.

3.) ASSUME EVERYONE CAN SEE WHAT YOU POST ON FACEBOOK!!

Don't give the bad guys an advertisement on where to pick up a quick gun before they go do bad guy stuff!!

. . . rant concluded.

He has posted his actual physical address, his schedule of being away from the house, and has identified several items of value?

That's a very, very good way to get robbed or burglarized. Dumb x2.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I always update Facebook *after* I return from vacation, etc.. No need for anyone to know I'm gone.

VIP Member

Question

Face-book?

Is that something like a face-plant???
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by RTSteve View Post
    However, just because someone is you "facebook friend", they are not necessarily your friend.
    I do not accept random friends and everyone I have as a friend is either a true friend or a relative but my profile is also set to private and my address is not even listed anywhere on my page. I don't think the pictures of the gun being posted is that big of a deal. I have posted pics of my Glocks on my facebook page before. Nothing has ever happened because I do not give out personal information to the entire world. Some people just lack intertube smarts.

Another good reason not to be on face book...

The internet is not latin for intelligence. Use your intelligence at all times when posting something for the world to see.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Sounds like he's setting up an appointment to donate his guns to one of his "Friends"!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    My guns are posted on FB -BUT- only certain family and friends can see them. And that is only about 4 people. Eventhough I trust all of my FB friends, I don't know their friends. Those that can see my arms are those I see and work with daily. And they already know (and have probably shot) what they can see.

Your advice is good and well taken.

Best!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Another good reason not to be on face book...
    Why is there always one that has to post this?

If you do not like Facebook then do not use it. There are many good reasons to be on Facebook but just like any web site on the intertubes one has to be smart about the personal information they post.

Facebook is a great tool that I use to network with old friends. I think that it can also be helpful for professional networking as well.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, I do not trust facebook. Do you notice how all the ads seemed relevant to you? This relevance is due to facebook selling your information to advertisers so they can gear things to you. I think that if they thought it could increase profits, they would sell pretty much anything that is posted on my profile.

Also, hacking a facebook profile can not be that difficult as I get messages and wall posts weekly from someone's profile that has been hacked. Once this happens, your info able to be opened to to the entire world.

I am proud that Tennessee does not require me to register my guns, but by putting them on facebook, I run the risk of telling more than just the state an inventory of all my firearms.

The individual that I mentioned in the original post was obviously reckless and risks can be minimized by being cautious. In my opinion, the best decision is to leave pictures of the guns off facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    My guns are posted on FB -BUT- only certain family and friends can see them.

Craig
    I'm not familar with FB, but if you allow certain friends to view special info, can't their friends view the same stuff? Just asking...

My wife is on facebook all the time (girl stuff), but I ignore it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thumbs down

I guess that the "Genie in the bottle" is out when it comes to face book. My grand kids have these and I'm totally confounded that "children" are given access to such a potentially devastating piece of technology. Crazy/immature/stupid people can't be protected from themselves but what kills me is they are always clueless as to why odd things happen to them.
    Sorry for the rant but, the internet is not for children!!!!!
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not familar with FB, but if you allow certain friends to view special info, can't their friends view the same stuff? Just asking...

My wife is on facebook all the time (girl stuff), but I ignore it.
    Nope, they must actually be your "friend", otherwise all the comes up is what ever you allow non-"friends" to see, friends of friends would be considered non-"friends" and cannot view your information, pictures, etc.

The transitive property does not apply here.

ASSUME EVERYONE CAN SEE WHAT YOU POST ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET!!
    Fixed it for ya

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links