Trip to Disney World.

This is a discussion on Trip to Disney World. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am planning a trip to Disney World this summer. I live in Texas, and we have reciprocity with Florida. Has anyone checked guns in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Disney World.

Trip to Disney World.

I am planning a trip to Disney World this summer. I live in Texas, and we have reciprocity with Florida. Has anyone checked guns in at the airport, and taken them to Disney? Can you carry at Disney? What do I need to know? Thanks for any info you have.

I do plan to read the Florida law very completely.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Theme parks are not off limits in Florida. However, I believe Disney's policy is no concealed weapons of any kind.

They check bags at the entrance, but I have never seen anything that would indicate they have metal detection capability, and have never seen any sort of wand style detector.

I personally do not carry there, because I would not want to lose my resident annual pass if detected.

I have carried at another local park, and never got a second look.

My understanding from conversations with LEOs and from reading Jon Gutmacher (whose book I highly recommend if you are interested in Florida firearms laws) is that signage saying "no firearms allowed" are meaningless with respect to the CCW laws. You could be asked to leave private property if your firearm was discovered, and you would be committing armed trespass if you refused to leave.

Matt

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    dont know about disney world but disney land if your an off duty leo will give you your park fair and meals if you carry your gun and badge in the park to suplimant there security force friend of mine dose it every year his daughter goes with him gets a free trip to disney

disney's rules are not florida rules.

Florida ccw is not forbidden in theme parks--bottom line. If they ask you to leave, leave and they cant do crap.
    Mighty HD

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    ...signage saying "no firearms allowed" are meaningless with respect to the CCW laws. You could be asked to leave private property if your firearm was discovered, and you would be committing armed trespass if you refused to leave.

Matt

+1 Here...

I live about a mile from Disney property (2.5 mi from the Magic Castle) and have been often. They search bags, but I've never seen them pat anyone down. Same with Epcot.

Universal, Sea World and Discovery Cove are a different story. Sea world uses MD wands often, and Universal gets strict. I've had to 'check' a knife at the entrance at Universal more than once.

If you intend to see a show at The House of Blues, don't even take a flashlight that is metal, or have a keyring with too many keys...

Be sure to read up on the Satutes here as well.
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

Senior Moderator
    Interesting. Sea World was the park I carried at, and never got a second look. I was wearing my camera vest / CCW advertisement and carrying my camera. I also had my 1911 and 2 spare mags, in case Shamu got out of line....

Hey, he's a killer whale. I was in fear for my life...

Matt

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    This question has been asked at least three times (that I know of) on the board. Please don't think me lazy if I copy my previous response. It has always been the same and has not changed since I first wrote it.
    Gonzo
    Caveat: The follow is JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION!

I am a federal law enforcement officer and a firearms instructor. You very, very, very rarely find me without my weapon. I am "one of those guys"...the ones who don't go much of anywhere without it.

That being said: I also love Disney World. I admit it. I'm a bit of a Disney-head. I go whenever I get a chance.

Both of those things being said: I don't carry my weapon in the Park. I find it to be a huge hassle that interferes with my fun-time. It is very uncomfortable on many of the rides, particularly the roller-coaster type rides, which I love. It is also difficult on the water rides. Additionally, I have never found myself in a single place in Disney (except for perhaps a restroom) where I am not completely surrounded by people. Thousands of people...in every direction. Most of the building walls are just facades, and behind them...more people. Finding a safe backdrop to take a shot inside the park would be almost impossible. You are almost certainly going to hit an innocent bystander, either directly, or with a through-and-through shot. On the other hand, there are countless places to take good cover and escape. I can be out of the sight of a shooter within a second.

I'm a carry-hound and my personal choice is not to carry in Disney. But, it is just that...a personal choice. Take it for what you will.

Gonzo

PS - I do find, however, that a good knife always seems to accompany me when I go.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Gonzo, excellent points! I would also say the same for Universal or Sea World, with the exception of the parking decks at Universal.

This same question has come up on other forums in recent past, would it be OK to quote your response? Thanks!
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

VIP Member
    I don't have anything to say on disney, but I have taken my pistol on a plane flight.
    check with your airline, I went on southwest, and they have very good info on their web site pertaining to their company's policies and also the FAA's, make sure to check all the FAA requirements
    Or course, weapon has to be checked, I purchased a metal sided container made for firearms, has 2 latches and place for padlock to secure the lid which is required. I recommend the locks that the FAA recommends because the security personnel have the ability to open the container along the way so you won't get paged to come unlock it, got mine at walmart, they are labeled with a red symbol showing they are for airline security use. I put the case in my roller bag.
    Anyway, when you check it you have to show that its unloaded, no mag in, at the first place I checked in they wanted me to leave it unlocked for them to send my bag through security, on the return trip they had me lock it when they checked it.
    I had 4 empty mags and a plastic cartridge box, can of OC, holster, and my knife all in there. Had no problems with anything but the lady at the counter in Houston must have been an anti...her attitude toward me changed when I said I had a firearm to check
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta1526
    Gonzo, excellent points! I would also say the same for Universal or Sea World, with the exception of the parking decks at Universal.

This same question has come up on other forums in recent past, would it be OK to quote your response? Thanks!
    Certainly. Just make sure you send me a royalty check. :c)
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Gonzo, excellent post.
    Mighty HD

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty HD
    Gonzo, excellent post.

Thanks, but it is only my opinion and I know it does not apply to everyone. The two big factors that dictate why I don't carry at Disney are:
    1) My comfort and enjoyment of the park;

2) The fact that there will almost never, ever be a safe backdrop for you to take a shot in that park. There are thousands upon thousands of people in every direction. Most of the walls you see are not even real walls...just thin facades. And behind each of those walls...thousands more people on rides, in line, working, etc. You are responsible for every round that leaves the barrel of your weapon. If you are close enough to take a 100% shot with absolutely no chance of a through-and-through...you are probably close enough (and better off) going hands-on or using a blade.

Fact is, if it is a massive attack of a terrorist nature, it is going to be chem/bio in nature. Your handgun won't help you.

Again, this is just my opinion. I don't fault others for where they choose to carry or not carry, as long as it is legal.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra
    can of OC, holster
    Checking OC in airline luggage is a serious violation of federal rules regarding transportations of hazardous materials.

I carry everywhere I legally can. I recently returned from a trip to Universal Studios in Florida, and while Florida has reciprocity with Michigan, I left my 1911 in the room, locked in the safe while my family was at the parks. Of course the gun was back on when we returned, but I didnt carry at the park

they did have people checking fanny packs, etc, but that was about it...seemed to me that it would have been pretty easy to get it in without detection. How comfortable it would be on the rides and how useful in the event of some trouble remains to be seen

Quote Originally Posted by simondog
    Checking OC in airline luggage is a serious violation of federal rules regarding transportations of hazardous materials.
    That's interesting, I have flown quite a few times with a can of oc locked in my pistol case with my sidearm, ammo, pocket knife, and expandable baton. TSA nor the airlines have ever given me any grief over it.

Probably a little known regulation that they don't enforce if properly secured in one's checkin baggage.

The only time I had an issue was at the Houston airport on my way back from a Rita detail.

It was with a check in lady for united (one of the many reasons I don't fly united unless it is on someone else's dime) and she was a real piece of work (it had nothing to do with my firearms).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links