Well this sucks

This is a discussion on Well this sucks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this really goes here but I had a couple interesting deals happens to me and I wanted to share them with you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well this sucks

Well this sucks

Not sure if this really goes here but I had a couple interesting deals happens to me and I wanted to share them with you all.

First off, I get a phone call early in the morning from my mom and it seems one of her close friends is in my town and she hurt herself and needed me to go check on her and take her to the doctor. With out thinking I roll out of bed and slide into my jeans and boots and just stick my Sig in the back of my jeans so I can put it in my holster in my jeep while I'm driving around. Well lord behold I guess Levi's don't put the floppy tag like they used too. No now they are a take that goes from the middle of your jeans where unknown to me my gun slips right behind and the tag gets stuck in my hammer release. Yeah truly funny looking I'm sure watching some guy bent over in his jeep tugging on something like he's giving himself a wedgie.

Second, I finally get a day off and when I wake up I have a horrible feeling. One of those "Oh man something bads going to happen." So I stay around my apartment all day cleaning up my place and just taking it easy. Well the next day when I wake up the feeling is worse but I don't think anything of it. Until I go out to my jeep and there is broken glass all over the ground. With out thinking I chuckle and go "wow that guy's having a bad day" well yeah that guy was me. Seems when they couldn't break into my jeep with a shimmy they broke out my window, opened my door, went right for my stashed bug out gun, closed the door after locking it back, and ran. Now at first my minds running down the list of people who knew I have a gun there and then called the cops. Who I must say this town is known for corrupt cops so I wasn't surprised when they pulled up and didn't do ANYTHING. I know they didn't because I've had the same training they have and I know what they can and can't do. But that's besides the point. I must say I kind of upset them because I started laughing when I told them about the gun. Because the gun only had eight rounds in it, now this is a Macrov and well that ammo is hard to come by here and I have to SPECIALLY order it, so when they didn't take the spare box of ammo that was with it I wasn't to worried about them doing anything big with it and I'd bet money it finds it's way to the river. What really got me though is that my window's where cracked open for two months and instead of doing the easy thing and using a coat hanger they instead broke my window which is what really annoyed me the most.

AnyWay's thoughts and comments as always are appreciated. Hope everyone is having a better week then me.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry for your troubles.

I'd never leave a weapon in my vehicle at home. If I was somewhere other than home I'd have it locked in a small gun safe cabled to my seat frame. If they have a hack saw or cable cutters with them it's gone, but if they don't it will at least slow them down and make them look real obvious should anyone see them trying to get it loose.

Might want to pay a bit more attention, particularly at home... if someone busted into your jeep and only rooted where your bug was hiding and only took the bug...they've been watching you. Chances are, they may have been watching you at home as well.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sorry to hear of your bad luck...

I don't store guns in my vehicles...solves the problem of theft.
    I'd be more PO'd thinking that a friend may have taken it, but again, if it's not in the car...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry for the bad luck, but it seems like it could have been worse. Sounds like you were lucky you didn't shoot yourself in the butt.

I never leave a gun in my vehicle, as I wouldn't want to live with myself knowing that someone was harmed with a weapon that I carelessly allowed to get into the hands of a bad guy.

I don't know if that was the kind of comment you were looking for, but it kinda seems like it.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Sorry for your misfortune...my thoughts and comments aren't going to cheer you up.

IMHO, it is extremely irresponsible to leave a firearm unsecured in your vehicle. Those eight tiny bullets can cause alot of heartbreak before the pistol finds its way to the river if (and that is a big IF) it does get ditched.

And you laughed about it to the LEOs?!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

The same thing happened to my Jeep, except that they sliced the top instead of a window (cost more to replace). I was dumb enough to have an NRA sticker on the windshield -- almost an invitation to "take my gun from my Jeep." However, unlike you, my range bag was empty except for some cheap shooting muffs. I was ready to replace them anyway. However, the fabric top was another matter. Since then I do not have a Jeepl, and I do not display an NRA sticker.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

I should state that I laughed because I work in a jail so I know alot of the officers and it wasn't a laugh as in funny but a laugh as in "Oh man this sucks." I kept a gun in the vehicle because I come from a small farming community and well we all have guns in the vehicle and it's habit. A dumb one yes but one that I liked. I will make things harder next time; 1) since how my alarm didn't go off looks like I need to invest in a new one. 2) I want a vehicle gun lock box that is put in the arm rest. 3) your right they have been watching for what they know so I need to step it up... this being better security in my apartment too.

Wow... That really sucks! However, you do have a fairly uplifting attitude about it, so that's positive.

I hate leaving guns in my cars. Even in a COM safe. I won't leave them in there overnight at home for sure... Unless they are in the trunk, and that has only happened about two or three times. I won't leave them in my SUV because there really isn't a secure area like a locked trunk.

Bottom line, I just don't like leaving guns in my vehicles unless there is no other way around it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Sorry for your misfortune...my thoughts and comments aren't going to cheer you up.

IMHO, it is extremely irresponsible to leave a firearm unsecured in your vehicle. Those eight tiny bullets can cause alot of heartbreak before the pistol finds its way to the river if (and that is a big IF) it does get ditched.

And you laughed about it to the LEOs?!
    My thoughts exactly
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Carrying like I want is not an option when I work in a jail. For awhile i was carrying to and from my vehicle and just locking it up in the vehicle when I went into the jail. But then I got lazy and I thought why not just keep it in the vehicle like I do when I'm back in the country. I did it for years and NEVER had a problem. But it only takes once like they say before you change your tune. As for my uplift attitude well I could be really upset about it and beat myself up to no end or else I can learn from it and go on.

i would also suggest that you keep a list of serial numbers (with exensive electronics too) and have a printed copy stashed somewhere, and a backup digital copy on a flashdrive. most pawn shops and gun stores will do a check on the serial number of a gun traded or sold to them, so it's good to know the numbers.

as posted, sounds like you're being watched - you might want to shake up that routine you've got, and NVER, EVER leave a sidearm in an unoccupied vehicle. if it's stolen and used illegally, in some jurisdictions, that's a potential charge for you.

sorry to hear about your luck - hopefully you'll recover it or the thief soon.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Since there are a variety of places I can't carry here in Ohio (places with gunbuster signs, places that serve liquor by the drink, post offices, etc.), I regularly leave my gun in the car, but for no longer than I need to in order to do business and rearm. For that, I consider a locked glove box adequate, especially since I always try to disarm before I leave for a destination that's a carry prohibited area. That way, nobody ever sees me leave a firearm unattended, regardless of how it's secured.

I wouldn't leave a gun in a car for longer than was necessary. If for some reason it needs to be there for a prolonged period, you should heed the advice of the person who suggested a portable security container with a locking cable.

Growing up there was a group of burglars in our neighborhood that would break into people's houses and take all of their TV's and other valuables and wait a few weeks and then rob them again because by then the homeowners would have replaced the goods.

Make sure they don't score again!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
    I should state that I laughed because I work in a jail so I know alot of the officers and it wasn't a laugh as in funny but a laugh as in "Oh man this sucks." I kept a gun in the vehicle because I come from a small farming community and well we all have guns in the vehicle and it's habit. A dumb one yes but one that I liked. I will make things harder next time; 1) since how my alarm didn't go off looks like I need to invest in a new one. 2) I want a vehicle gun lock box that is put in the arm rest. 3) your right they have been watching for what they know so I need to step it up... this being better security in my apartment too.
    reading the bolded statement i would believe that nobody had to be watching him at all...seems by his description most people have guns in their cars so it wouldnt take much to find one...knowing you work in a prison might make it even more encouraging for them to pick your vehicle....how much rooting should they do once they find a prize?...the console is the first place a crook is gonna go cause thats where we put stuff...and breaking a window is a lot faster than using a coat hangar...no brainer....

8 rounds are more than enough to do a fair amount of damage to someone or something....and if its intended for sale it isnt going to matter how much ammo is in it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links