Defensive Carry banner

Would you make this information public?

3K views 35 replies 33 participants last post by  Hot Wing 
#1 ·
I was messing around on Facebook today and I saw that they have a new toy. It’s an application that lets you list your favorite albums or movies or books yada, yada, yada. One of the lists they have is “Five Things You’d Never Leave The House W/Out”. Just for giggles I put my top five in to see if the software supported them. They were
1. My Gun
2. Spare ammunition
3. Folder
4. Multitool
5. Flashlight.
Believe it or not every single one was supported. I decided not to complete the list because I really don’t want that information out there.

My question is; am I being overly paranoid? Is there anyone here that would make that information publicly available? What would be the purpose? Obviously, I’m talking about the firearm specific answers I don’t care if you know that I always have my keys and phone.

The thing that I find really interesting is that those answers wouldn’t be available if somebody hadn’t gone to the trouble to add them to the list. That tells me that somebody out there wanted everyone on their friends list to know that they carry all the time bad enough to add it to the list.

So give me your thoughts would you or wouldn’t you publish that information? And why.

See less See more
#3 ·
Do NOT use any of those applications. I don't play any of the games on Facebook. I refuse your hugs and kisses and all that other crap.

That list wants access to your e-mail address and the e-mail address of everyone that you are friends with. Read the EULA and you will be shocked at what they want to do with your information. I love Facebook but I refuse to take any survey, play any of their online games or send anyone a drink. Those applications are nothing but data miners.

So yes, be paranoid and do not use that application. I block every single one of them.

#7 ·
I agree 1000%. I block everything on FB that has the option to block it. Absolutely nothing about my interest in firearms goes on FB. It's just no one's business.

#33 ·
Ditto! I am not that old, but I wont and dont use FB and other social netwroking sites.....just really dont see the purpose and although I am not a paranoid person at all, I know of no good reason to post my every move, whereabouts, inane interests etc.....I guess I am just more private than that.

#9 ·
I stay away from Facebook and the other "social networking sites." Even here, where I think only Bumper knows for sure who I am, I find that my natural tendency is to reveal so much about myself that someone could if they wished narrow it down fairly quickly.

I'm old, and I suppose in away it really doesn't matter if others find out who I am and learn something about "what" I am. However, I think young people who are still in the job market need to be extremely careful about what they post and where they post it. It can come back to bite you.

I don't worry so much about what Uncle will do with information. It is what the corporate data miners will do with it.

There is a web site "www.sokeo.com" which sells information---gleaned from the net I suppose. They have almost nothing right about me. In fact, when I type in my real name in their search engine they respond that I don't exist.

When I type in my e-mail address they return incorrect information about me, and when I type in my phone number they claim I live in a 1 million dollar + house-- I only wish. They have nothing right in their data base on me.

I like it that way.

#10 ·
There are times that we all get too liberal and too easy with information and the internet helps bring it out in us. The pillar that supports DC is the internet, obviously, and who knows who's listening? There's a time to decide to carry on and communicate, and there's a time to hold your cards close. Listing that kind of stuff.....nope. Don't do. Keep that kind of stuff here and who knows how tight we are? They bees folk out dere wiff red eyes.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Rock and GlockI believe you are exactly correct, Treo. I agree.
That had to hurt

#12 ·
My daughter loves Facebook and MySpace and all those dang things, she's always trying to get me to go on them things. I'm lucky that I can find my little groups here and get on them. I'll stick to discussing things here and a few others and stay off the mainstream of Facebook or MySpace and the rest of that crap.

#13 ·
Well said, I fail to see the point of all this mindless crap.

#14 ·
My typewriter still has the legs and the red/black ribbon! That's how technically savvy I am!:gah:

#16 ·
I would not for several reasons.
1. I have friends who might not like me carrying and as it is now, I carry, they don't know
2. I coach a youth sports and some of my players parents are flaming libs, I am good at what I do, and would not want a kid to lose a good coach because they have a flaming lib as a parent.

#17 ·
Once you place information about yourself on the internet you can no longer control to where it propagates and you can never retract it.

"Be afraid. Be very afraid."

#20 ·
No way! In fact, I don't "do" facebook or any of those sites. I've had friends and relatives "invite" me to join, and I haven't. To me it is a waste of time. I guess I am just too old/old fashioned.:rolleyes: I spend more time on this site than I should, so I'm not going to spend more time on facebook and post a bunch of personal info available to the world!:gah:

#22 ·
As others have Stated! No Way!!!!! Thats the last thing I want Poeple to Know Out of Sight, Out of Mind. Even when I go out with my Buddies, I dont advise them that I'am Carrying. I cant speak for everyone nor will I. This is just how I feel about Carrying(Quietly)

#23 ·
No!:nono:
Nope!:nono:
Nada!:nono:
Never!:nono:
Zip!:nono:
Zero!:nono:

Not me!:smoke23:

#25 ·
Is everyone on your friends list pro gun? Does everyone already know that you carry everyday? Is your profile closed to the public? If you answers to the above are anything but Yes then you were quite right not to publish that list!

I'd never do such a thing. I won't even become a fan of gun oriented pages. Most people who know me have no idea that I even own a gun. I've got people from work, church, high school, etc on my friends list. A good half of them would flip the heck out if they knew I'm waiting for my CHP to come.

#26 ·
Your secret is safe with us DZ... Your secret hideout! :yup:

#27 ·
You are not paranoid. Employers, esp prospective employers look people up. This can affect your job. There have been teachers fired because they were shown drinking on Spring Break, posing seductively (but clothed), etc.

#30 ·
I agree with Treo too. If for no other reason, why would you but that info out there? What good would come of it? What bad could come of it? I think the list of bad would be longer.

#31 ·
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum here guys. While I don't actively disclose that I carry, Facebook has been a tool for me in the past to work towards gun rights. I used to be the Oklahoma rep for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus and a lot of our organizing was done via Facebook, as well as event notifications.

Because I was so active in the movement, a lot of people know I carry and if they don't know that they at least know I'm pro-gun.

And as far as employers go, my company's owner has a license, as do one of the secretaries and my boss. Another guy would have his if he'd stop being lazy and turn in his paperwork.

#32 ·
Never been to Facebook, never intend to go there. People need to get real friends, not the facebook kind. How many Facebook friends aer going to be there when you need a helping hand?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.