Would you make this information public?

This is a discussion on Would you make this information public? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was messing around on Facebook today and I saw that they have a new toy. Itís an application that lets you list your favorite ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you make this information public?

I was messing around on Facebook today and I saw that they have a new toy. Itís an application that lets you list your favorite albums or movies or books yada, yada, yada. One of the lists they have is ďFive Things Youíd Never Leave The House W/OutĒ. Just for giggles I put my top five in to see if the software supported them. They were
    1. My Gun
    2. Spare ammunition
    3. Folder
    4. Multitool
    5. Flashlight.
    Believe it or not every single one was supported. I decided not to complete the list because I really donít want that information out there.

My question is; am I being overly paranoid? Is there anyone here that would make that information publicly available? What would be the purpose? Obviously, Iím talking about the firearm specific answers I donít care if you know that I always have my keys and phone.

The thing that I find really interesting is that those answers wouldnít be available if somebody hadnít gone to the trouble to add them to the list. That tells me that somebody out there wanted everyone on their friends list to know that they carry all the time bad enough to add it to the list.

So give me your thoughts would you or wouldnít you publish that information? And why.

absolutely not. very few people know i carry.

Do NOT use any of those applications. I don't play any of the games on Facebook. I refuse your hugs and kisses and all that other crap.

That list wants access to your e-mail address and the e-mail address of everyone that you are friends with. Read the EULA and you will be shocked at what they want to do with your information. I love Facebook but I refuse to take any survey, play any of their online games or send anyone a drink. Those applications are nothing but data miners.

So yes, be paranoid and do not use that application. I block every single one of them.

VIP Member
    Nope

I believe you are exactly correct, Treo. I agree.

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    No WAY!!!!
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Do NOT use any of those applications. I don't play any of the games on Facebook. I refuse your hugs and kisses and all that other crap.

That list wants access to your e-mail address and the e-mail address of everyone that you are friends with. Read the EULA and you will be shocked at what they want to do with your information. I love Facebook but I refuse to take any survey, play any of their online games or send anyone a drink. Those applications are nothing but data miners.

So yes, be paranoid and do not use that application. I block every single one of them.
    I agree 1000%. I block everything on FB that has the option to block it. Absolutely nothing about my interest in firearms goes on FB. It's just no one's business.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

I don't even list my guns on forums like this.
    I am proud of the guns that I have, but I don't want them to be public information.

VIP Member
    I stay away from Facebook and the other "social networking sites." Even here, where I think only Bumper knows for sure who I am, I find that my natural tendency is to reveal so much about myself that someone could if they wished narrow it down fairly quickly.

I'm old, and I suppose in away it really doesn't matter if others find out who I am and learn something about "what" I am. However, I think young people who are still in the job market need to be extremely careful about what they post and where they post it. It can come back to bite you.

I don't worry so much about what Uncle will do with information. It is what the corporate data miners will do with it.

There is a web site "www.sokeo.com" which sells information---gleaned from the net I suppose. They have almost nothing right about me. In fact, when I type in my real name in their search engine they respond that I don't exist.

When I type in my e-mail address they return incorrect information about me, and when I type in my phone number they claim I live in a 1 million dollar + house-- I only wish. They have nothing right in their data base on me.

I like it that way.

Distinguished Member
    There are times that we all get too liberal and too easy with information and the internet helps bring it out in us. The pillar that supports DC is the internet, obviously, and who knows who's listening? There's a time to decide to carry on and communicate, and there's a time to hold your cards close. Listing that kind of stuff.....nope. Don't do. Keep that kind of stuff here and who knows how tight we are? They bees folk out dere wiff red eyes.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Originally posted by Rock and GlockI believe you are exactly correct, Treo. I agree.
    That had to hurt

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My daughter loves Facebook and MySpace and all those dang things, she's always trying to get me to go on them things. I'm lucky that I can find my little groups here and get on them. I'll stick to discussing things here and a few others and stay off the mainstream of Facebook or MySpace and the rest of that crap.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    My daughter loves Facebook and MySpace and all those dang things, she's always trying to get me to go on them things. I'm lucky that I can find my little groups here and get on them. I'll stick to discussing things here and a few others and stay off the mainstream of Facebook or MySpace and the rest of that crap.
    Well said, I fail to see the point of all this mindless crap.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

My typewriter still has the legs and the red/black ribbon! That's how technically savvy I am!

Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    Well said, I fail to see the point of all this mindless crap.
    How is keeping in touch with friends and family mindless crap? Yes, Facebook has a lot of crap on it but it can be ignored.

The anti-gun folks can use the same excuse you are using to ignore a tool that can become very useful when used properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links