Run in with a rent-a-cop - Page 2

Run in with a rent-a-cop

This is a discussion on Run in with a rent-a-cop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 40FIVER I would think that the owner of the car would appreciate that the security personnel who were in charge of keeping ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER
    I would think that the owner of the car would appreciate that the security personnel who were in charge of keeping his car "secure" in the company parking lot were taking their jobs seriously. The guy was doing what he got paid to do.
    That's a first! I am glad to hear that he was doin his job. I do have to agree with the guy who started this thread. It is amusing.

VIP Member
    +1

Inspector Cluseau, risking armed confrontation with nothing more than OC, all for min $, to secure other's property, well, that deserves consideration.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    If you wonder why people are generally hard on them, google "mall ninga"

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Bud:
    if a rent a cop is doing his/her job well and knows their limitations I don't have a problem. It's the ones that think they have more authority than a LOE or have no idea they have no power at all that get my shorts in a bunch.
    Those I get to really play with.
    And I do, I do.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    I have no problem with someone doing their job well.
    Unfortunately though, the "rent a cop" industry seems to draw a lot of wannabes. I have seen a store LP guy grab and physically restrain a female, who as it turned out, had nothing on her. As she was leaving, he THREATENED her! Those guys, are the guys that make me nervous.
    And here's the problem I see with the "rent-a-cop" buisness or any security type job similar to it. Most of these guys have NO authority to do ANYTHING except say "please stop" in a hopefully authorotative(sp?) voice. In most cases, "security" is a complete joke IMHO. I get the greatest kick out of seeing some of these security guys all dressed up to the nines in big hats and big uniforms that say "SECURITY" all over them and all they have on their belt is a small plastic flashlight and a set of keys! These guys can do NOTHING to stop ANYONE. They have no authority at all. They might as well be janitors with fancy uniforms.

The security guy you mentioned could be in serious cah-cah if that women decided to file charges against him, which she could certainly do if this idiot put his hands on her.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I tend to disagree with you on that note gddyup. I did security for 3 years . I am not a LEO nor would I pretend to be .But I took my job seriously . At the time I took this job the pay is not great but it worked for the time I needed to get the bills paid. Also there are security officers that do put there lives on the line like one's who are defending our banks ,nuclear power plants and drivers of armored cars and get payed little for doing it .But on the other side of life things do get out of hand and people do stupid things .merlin45kout

Quote Originally Posted by merlin45k
    I tend to disagree with you on that note gddyup. I did security for 3 years . I am not a LEO nor would I pretend to be .But I took my job seriously . At the time I took this job the pay is not great but it worked for the time I needed to get the bills paid. Also there are security officers that do put there lives on the line like one's who are defending our banks ,nuclear power plants and drivers of armored cars and get payed little for doing it .But on the other side of life things do get out of hand and people do stupid things .merlin45kout
    I'll agree that some do take their job very seriously. But, for the most part and for most of the security types that we tend to run into, that's not the case. The upper tier security type jobs such as bank, armored car, nuclear, etc., are typically higher trained and armed individuals who have a serious job to do.

These are not the guys I would ever NOT take seriuosly. They are the guys who deserve the respect and the ones who get it. They are also typically the guys who don't come across as armchair commandos.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Rent-a-cop

Reminds me of a while back when I was in Target and I felt a hand touch me. No big deal in this neck of the woods. I started to turn and heard a voice state: DON'T MOVE. I saw the brown SS Uniform Arm, and I turned into it while pressing my hand over over my weapon. Couldn't believe what I saw. A childhood friend of my son that's now about 6'4" and 240. He was working his way through college and had recognized me. Try to go easy on these guys. A lot of them are just kids trying to make a buck.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I'm a security guard and from what I see the security industry is mostly a money making joke. Garbage man in uniform, sometimes. But it's not anymore a joke than Homeland security. Truth is nobody trust security guards, or for that matter our National guard. After 9 11 our troops were guarding the airports with empty weapons. Now go overseas and take a look at what their troops carry at the airports. Automatic weapons that are loaded. Even after 9 11 our government still doesn't get it. Of course what do you expect from those who live in the land of lawsuits.

Glad I get to carry my XD45 at work. One of the employee's (a parolee) just spent the last week in jail for suspicion of murder. He won't be back.
    Last edited by one eyed fatman; June 4th, 2006 at 07:42 PM.

Oh, please don't tell me you were gonna squeeze off a couple at him for just doing his job. I tell ya, when I got out the military and was trying to get back in school where I could make some decent money for the wife and I was a rent a cop. Specifically, I had to stand on my feet for at least 4 hours a day in the rain, cold, heat etc. But, I was use to it after serving in the military. However, the catch was I was making 7.00 bucks an hour and that is all I could do. Well, one day I had a guy come up to me while I was working.

Well, just so happend this guy had a "Vietnam Veteran" cap on his head and he thought I was just some other rent a cop. Well we are outside of this store I am guarding and its scalding hot. And he leans over to my supervisor who was outside with me and says. You let this guy lean against a wall and rest not me. I then explained to him that I was fresh from the desert and was not only a former USAF Instructor but was Disabled Veteran. He immediately changed his tune. The fact is the job market is not that great, and you never know who were talking too. Respect the guy and his baton because I am not bragging but I can put a mean hurt on someone with a baton because after he strikes to your temple and comes down on your weapon arm. You would have been calling him mommy.

Yes, you are armed, but this should breed humbleness and not pride because a warrior always, walks silently. Thank you sir...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup
    Most of these guys have NO authority to do ANYTHING except say "please stop" in a hopefully authorotative(sp?) voice........snip
    ........They have no authority at all....... .
    They have the authority of the client they represent. They are there to enforce the rules of the facility or business you are visiting. In many cases they have the power to detain someone suspected of breaking the rules of the establishment they are hired to protect. You are on their turf and there is no need to give them a hard time for doing their job.
    Last edited by Red Stick; June 4th, 2006 at 11:38 PM.

Lead Moderator
    rent a cop here. Working as LP does pay the bills though. Some excitement here and there but , luckily no weapons involved.
    Unless someone is high on their own authority or just plain worthless I can understand where they are coming from. The rent a cops have as much training as your average CCW holder , so stop and consider that before you scoff. Anyone in any position can have a big head and swagger.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

to add to red sticks post security officrs/guards have citizens arrest authority like everyone else . So securtiy officers/guards have just as much authority to detain as you do. also in some states they are sworn and vested with police powers North carolina is one of those states.

Would you rather have a security guard like him that does his job, or one like me that right now, is getting paid to surf the internet?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Glad to see the Security Officer doing his job.

Have you thought that he might, also, be carrying concealed!

Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links