Run in with a rent-a-cop

This is a discussion on Run in with a rent-a-cop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think some of you will get a kick out of this, I know I did. I got a call from a, very good customer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run in with a rent-a-cop

Run in with a rent-a-cop

I think some of you will get a kick out of this, I know I did. I got a call from a, very good customer of mine, this morning. He asked how long I would be down at the shop, as I normally go in on Saturdays, for a little bit anyway. He said he needed a few things checked out on his car, and works in a office complex not far from the shop and was pulling a Saturday like me, I told him fine, leave the keys at the front desk and we'll come get the car for you. I grabbed a coworker of mine and we went to get his car, we got the keys from the front desk at his office building and proceeded to where he said the vehicle was. Now this complex, is patrolled by security and I guess two guys driving in the parking lot, on a weekend, peaked Barney Fife's interest. We located the customers vehicle, when I look in the rearview and see a security vehicle, lights flashing, the whole nine yards, come flying up behind us. Out steps, Doogie Howser with OC spray and a baton and asks on what authority, we were on the property and what were our intentions. I explained the situation, trying not to laugh, and he told us to "stay put", he needed to go back to his "patrol vehicle" and confirm with his "dispatch", the information I just gave him. After about 2 minutes he came back to my car, where, I'm about in tears from cracking up, and tells us, sorry about the delay and have a nice day. Little did this pip-sqeak know I had my 9mm concealed, under my shirt, that was bigger than him, had he known, he probably would have needed to go home, and change his underwear When we got back to the shop and told the boss what happened, I was asked since he thought he was an LEO did you inform him you were carrying We all got a good chuckle out of the whole ordeal.

2. Remove Ads

I would think that the owner of the car would appreciate that the security personnel who were in charge of keeping his car "secure" in the company parking lot were taking their jobs seriously. The guy was doing what he got paid to do.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'll have to agree with 40fiver. You didn't say what his attitude was like but that is what he was paid to do. We wopuld really be upset if our car was there and he let someone drive off without checking.

Appears to me that he was doing his job.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER
    I would think that the owner of the car would appreciate that the security personnel who were in charge of keeping his car "secure" in the company parking lot were taking their jobs seriously. The guy was doing what he got paid to do.

I agree this guy was doing his job, I have no problem with that, but this guy was way over the top. Had you been there, no offense, he was a wanna be LEO. I guess it was one of those, you had to be there situations. Had he not acted, like he did it would, have been a non issue, with me, but he reminded me of the cop at the end of meet the fockers, for those of you who have seen that movie
    Last edited by ENSANE1970; June 3rd, 2006 at 07:32 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    "One of those you had to be there situations." Hey I've had a bunch of those!!!

Size doesn't always matter...

Double Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
    Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph Daly

Sergeant Major Daniel ("Dan") Daly was once acclaimed by Major General John A. Lejeune, former Commandant of the Marine Corps, as "the outstanding Marine of all time." General Smedley D. Butler called him "The fightinest Marine I ever knew," and wrote that "it was an object lesson to have served with "him."

This kind of praise was generally expressed by Marine officers and enlisted men alike and, according to the record, "Dan" Daly deserved it.

Sergeant Daly and General Butler are the only Marines who ever received the Nation's highest military award-the Medal of Honor-twice for separate acts of heroism.

A small man (five feet, six inches in height and weighing only 132 pounds), Daly nevertheless was a fine military figure, erect and well-proportioned. His keen gray eyes looked upon danger without fear. Although a "natural" for publicity, he disdained it and disliked all the fuss made over him. He termed medals "a lot of foolishness." Personally be enjoyed a pipe, crammed with cut plug tobacco, but did not drink.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

Sure sounds like ya had to be there I've had a few run in's with the wanna be in my work van working in gated neighbor hoods i love the one come up go what are you doing ... Shining there flashlight at ya in broad daylight .. and should you be hear .. its usually hey brain surgeon did you see the work van in the front ... well yeah ...see i got a uniform on ?...well yeah and hey didn't i even check in to get though the gate?? well yeah .. then go away

Its always them gated communities that are like that too you check in to get in and some wanna be comes up and asks what your doing like you just wondered into a gated community with one entrance that the guard has to check you in

I have almost no respect for rentacops. I could count good experiances on one hand with a few fingers left over, which is pretty much the oppisite of the LEOs that I've dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Witherspoon
    Appears to me that he was doing his job.
    Agreed.

My dad is a DC LEO retired who for years did work as a "rent-a-cop".
    Whats the deal, why hate on/disparage folks just trying to do a job and well?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

So many rent a cops are want to be's, and display it in their attitude. Or they are just the opposite and could care less about what they are being paid to do. This kid did a fine job in my opinion.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    Agreed.

My dad is a DC LEO retired who for years did work as a "rent-a-cop".
    Whats the deal, why hate on/disparage folks just trying to do a job and well?

- Janq
    There's a difference between ex-leo becoming rent a cops vs the plain no training rent a cops.

The ex-leo's are the decent ones to deal with and you can tell it the non leo's are the wanna be's and thats what most of us are complaining about.

It is all in the attitude---On both sides of the equation.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

I'll take your word for it Ensane, that the guy was way overboard. I've seen them myself and agree those types should find another line of work.
    There are probably a lot of security guards that would love to be an LEO, but can't for some valid reason. I was rejected at a big city dept. years ago due to a failed back xray. I had already scored #1 in the physical assessment and in all of the written exams. I had even passed the polygraph. The xray revealed a spinal problem that I was born with that might one day cause me problems. The city didn't want to take the chance that I might hurt my back on the job. I have worked construction ever since with zero back problems.
    However, I'm not a security guard and never had the desire to be one.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have no problem with someone doing their job well.
    Unfortunately though, the "rent a cop" industry seems to draw a lot of wannabes. I have seen a store LP guy grab and physically restrain a female, who as it turned out, had nothing on her. As she was leaving, he THREATENED her! Those guys, are the guys that make me nervous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links