Restaurants

Restaurants

This is a discussion on Restaurants within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So pretty much all are off limits since they serve alcohol?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants

Restaurants

So pretty much all are off limits since they serve alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Millerb7 View Post

Check with State Laws.

If you're referring to OHIO...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ification.html
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Millerb7 View Post
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-ohio-law.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-203-ohio.html
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yes in Ohio.

In Georgia - current law (we're working on changing it), if 50% of the establishment's income comes from food, then you can carry in the restaurant. You just can't drink and carry legally.
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

In FL, staying armed is not a problem in a restaurant, and no 50% anything...just stay out of the bar area. In the restaurant, you can even have a beer with dinner...no silly rules down here!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In FL, staying armed is not a problem in a restaurant, and no 50% anything...just stay out of the bar area. In the restaurant, you can even have a beer with dinner...no silly rules down here!
    That's the way it should be!!!!!!! SC needs to do some changing on this issue.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Ohio Law seems purposely complicated...

but can anybody interpret the bolded?

2923.121 Possession of firearm in liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions.

(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

(B)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or to a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry firearms and is acting within the scope of the officer’s, agent’s, or employee’s duties;

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry firearms, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (B)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person;

(c) Any room used for the accommodation of guests of a hotel, as defined in section 4301.01 of the Revised Code;

(d) The principal holder of a D permit issued for premises or an open air arena under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code while in the premises or open air arena for which the permit was issued if the principal holder of the D permit also possesses a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the principal holder under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the principal holder by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and as long as the principal holder is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse, or any agent or employee of that holder who also is a peace officer, as defined in section 2151.3515 of the Revised Code, who is off duty, and who otherwise is authorized to carry firearms while in the course of the officer’s official duties and while in the premises or open air arena for which the permit was issued and as long as the agent or employee of that holder is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and who possesses the firearm in a retail store with D-6 and D-8 permits issued for that store under sections 4303.182 and 4303.184 of the Revised Code or a D-8 permit issued for that store under section 4303.184 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

(2) This section does not prohibit any person who is a member of a veteran’s organization, as defined in section 2915.01 of the Revised Code, from possessing a rifle in any room in any premises owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the veteran’s organization, if the rifle is not loaded with live ammunition and if the person otherwise is not prohibited by law from having the rifle.

(3) This section does not apply to any person possessing or displaying firearms in any room used to exhibit unloaded firearms for sale or trade in a soldiers’ memorial established pursuant to Chapter 345. of the Revised Code, in a convention center, or in any other public meeting place, if the person is an exhibitor, trader, purchaser, or seller of firearms and is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing, trading, purchasing, or selling the firearms.

(C) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under this section of illegal possession of a firearm in liquor permit premises that involves the possession of a firearm other than a handgun, that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the firearm, and that any of the following apply:

(1) The firearm was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes, while the actor was engaged in or was going to or from the actor’s lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of such character or was necessarily carried on in such manner or at such a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(2) The firearm was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes, while the actor was engaged in a lawful activity, and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack upon the actor or a member of the actor’s family, or upon the actor’s home, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(D) No person who is charged with a violation of this section shall be required to obtain a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code as a condition for the dismissal of the charge.

(E) Whoever violates this section is guilty of illegal possession of a firearm in liquor permit premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, illegal possession of a firearm in liquor permit premises is a felony of the fifth degree. If the offender commits the violation of this section by knowingly carrying or having the firearm concealed on the offender’s person or concealed ready at hand, illegal possession of a firearm in liquor permit premises is a felony of the third degree.

Effective Date: 04-08-2004; 03-14-2007; 2008 SB184 09-09-2008

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    but can anybody interpret the bolded?
    It means that you can carry in a store that sells alcohol as long as the store isn't serving it and you aren't drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    It means that you can carry in a store that sells alcohol as long as the store isn't serving it and you aren't drinking it.
    I don't see that part in there. I do see that you cannot drink while carrying in a bar.

Seems straightforward to me...just buried.

Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    I don't see that part in there. I do see that you cannot drink while carrying in a bar.

That's how I read it too...but the D-6 and D-8 classifications are "extensive" it seems. But it does look like it negates the "No carry in D license facilities" that I have seen posted?

VIP Member
    Sorry to you all who have to deal with these ridiculous laws. Thank goodness Utah has the right idea, selling and serving of alcoholic beverages has nothing to do with the carriage of firearms.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post

Seems straightforward to me...just buried.
    Sorry, but it is NOT as straight forward as that. You cannot carry in a bar, period. You can carry in a retail store that sells liquor/beer to be taken out. You cannot carry in a bar, restaurant, etc. where alcohol is consumed. Period. Hopefully, the proposed bills in the OH house and senate will pass and rectify this situation. Right now, the only restaurants where you can carry are those that do not sell any alcohol ( fast food, Cracker Barrell, mom and pops, and cafeteria types). The better restaurants, as well as the chains such as Don Pablos, Olive Garden, Chilis, TGI Fridays, etc. are all OFF LIMITS if you are carrying.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Sorry, but it is NOT as straight forward as that. You cannot carry in a bar, period. You can carry in a retail store that sells liquor/beer to be taken out. You cannot carry in a bar, restaurant, etc. where alcohol is consumed. Period. Hopefully, the proposed bills in the OH house and senate will pass and rectify this situation. Right now, the only restaurants where you can carry are those that do not sell any alcohol ( fast food, Cracker Barrell, mom and pops, and cafeteria types). The better restaurants, as well as the chains such as Don Pablos, Olive Garden, Chilis, TGI Fridays, etc. are all OFF LIMITS if you are carrying.
    Youch!!

Those laws are goofy. You can apparently carry at a winery where wine tasting is occurring (D-8, I think), and whatever a D-6 is, which appears to be incidental uses - hotel restaurant, sports facility, and others. Those laws must have been written by lawyers, for lawyers. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Retsup99, I have often wondered about this. I know we can carry in the restaurant portion of the business but I never knew if I could have a drink (not that I would have much, let's face it, a beer at Chili's is about a half of a can). I don't see anything on the State Statutes site about alcohol at all (other than when you are applying and not going into that portion of a business where the primary function is to sell alcohol). Any further insight would be great.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links