Man and dog barge into my new apartment.

This is a discussion on Man and dog barge into my new apartment. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear ya there. This story is definitely a wake up call. It's not hard to think your in the wrong apartments in a lot ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man and dog barge into my new apartment.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I hear ya there. This story is definitely a wake up call. It's not hard to think your in the wrong apartments in a lot of places, they do look a like and a lot of folks leave their dang doors in apartments unlocked if they just take their dogs out for a short walk to do their business.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

"it always happens when it's least expected".

safe?

I always say, a gun in the safe don"t make you safe.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Once, my partner came to pick me up for work and I didn't know he was coming. It was still dark, I was in uniform, and had just set down the cereal box. I heard the door creak and saw it start opening and the first thing I noticed was his badge. The first thing he noticed was the muzzle of my P2000.

When we got to work, he told the FTO that I almost shot him. FTO asked why I had my gun on in the house....
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    +1 Live and learn

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Once, my partner came to pick me up for work and I didn't know he was coming. It was still dark, I was in uniform, and had just set down the cereal box. I heard the door creak and saw it start opening and the first thing I noticed was his badge. The first thing he noticed was the muzzle of my P2000.

When we got to work, he told the FTO that I almost shot him. FTO asked why I had my gun on in the house....
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I learned that lesson once too. My roommate left to go to the gym, and I was in my room. About 15 minutes later I heard the door to the apartment open and close. This length of time was too soon for him to come back and too long for him to have just gotten to his car and realized he'd left something. I eased into the living and flipped the lights on and saw a very tired looking middle aged man in a tie flipping the light switch by the door up and down. (This switch worked a wall plug with nothing plugged into it.) Anyway, when the light came on, he realized he was in the wrong apartment. He apologized and left.

I had my Glock 17 at the time, but stupidly I didn't have a single round of ammo. I bought some the next day and had a talk with my roommate about locking the door when he left. I was lucky that day, now I try not to depend on luck so much.

GM
    Glad it ended well.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Glad it ended well.
    x2!

If my gun isn't on my hip the shotgun is leaned against the wall next to me.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

overly paranoid much?

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Did you mean that your roommates firearms are within your reach?

or

Your roommates are within arms reach?

I am hoping for the first one. But to each his/her own
    Lol, my apologies for the confusion. Definitely meant the first one. There are three of us and all of us are armed. My friends that do not know my roommates always joke with me that they feel bad for anyone who enters my apartment in a break in or trying to harm us. They know I'm a big time hunter and avid shooter. I tell them honestly they have to get past my two roommates on the first floor that are both packing. Then if they don't take care of them I will, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    What "always happens"? You mean some friendly, albeit inattentive neighbor inadvertantly enters your house through your unlocked door? Are you suggesting the proper response was to immediately draw down on the guy, or perhaps shoot him and claim castle doctrine?

Since I started posting here I have read of far more incidents of random and totally innocent encounters than I have situations where someone had to defend themselves. I've even read here how a guy went for his gun when he saw someone tinkering with "his" car, only to find "his" car belonged to the other guy. It was a the exact same color and model parked just one row over from his. How's that for coincidence?

The statistical likelihood of someone invading your apartment with death and destruction in mind is actually far less than this rare scenario. If you're not involved with drugs, criminal behavior, or drugged up family members, and live in a respectable neighborhood, the chances of needing to be immediately armed are beyond miniscule.

Do want to be the guy who perforates and kills some innocent neighbor on a technicality?

Not me.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 21st, 2010 at 08:27 AM.

Something like this happened to me. I had a roommate at the time and a guy comes walking in my apartment and comes down and sits next to me on the couch while im watching the game. I don't know who this guy is and I didn't know if he was a friend of my roomates. He was clearly intoxicated and I asked him who he was there for and he said Tyler and I said no one lives here by that name. He thinks for a second and then says sorry shakes my hand and walks out. I got up and locked the door after that. This was before I had a CHL but I did have a loaded shotgun in my room but it was def out of reach because it was at the opposite side of apt. I wasn't shocked or worried or flustered, I just thought he was a friend of my roommates. It's definitely a good thing to know who your roommates friends are and who would be coming over.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    overly paranoid much?
    Me? Not at all. It's no different than everyone else that agrees with carrying 24/7.

Just because I'm ready doesn't mean I go around pointing my gun at anyone who approaches me.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Always carry, always armed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links