Man and dog barge into my new apartment. - Page 3

Man and dog barge into my new apartment.

This is a discussion on Man and dog barge into my new apartment. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can relate because it happen to me too. It was several years ago back when I didn’t bother locking my door. Sometimes, I would ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member
    I can relate because it happen to me too. It was several years ago back when I didn’t bother locking my door. Sometimes, I would leave my door open for fresh air and the view.

Anyway, I was in the kitchen when I saw a man walking towards me. I grab a butcher knife (yeah I know - how original) as I asked him ‘who the 'bleep' are you?’. He was sent to fix my plumbing and it was for real, but still. I told him to never just walk in again, and that it was a good way to get hurt. At the time, I was completely away from my gun and I was simply oblivious to the reality. I guess those years as a LEO really didn’t help me much…
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

As soon as I unlock my apartment door and walk through I close it and lock it behind me. And I live on the 6th floor of a locked apartment building! Am I paranoid?

I lock my doors also as soon as I walk in and they stay locked all day, no open windows either that's what air conditioning is for if its hot out. Always have a firearm on my hip, its not being paranoid its self preservation.

Pistol on or within 3 steps...
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Glad it was nothing serious and only a mistake by a nice neighbor.

But let me ask you a question:

Where do all "home invasions" occur?

If someone did a comparison of the times when a CCW was needed, I'll bet that Home Invasions top the list.

If you do not want to carry all day long, maybe you should carry at home and not carry outside.

Just sayin',

Capt. Art

man you guys would hate me.

our front door is usually open all night. benefits of not living in the ghetto i guess.

Here's my story.

Years ago (23 maybe) we had just moved into an apartment. We paid our rent, deposits etc. in cash as requested (not a great place). As it turns out, the manager had stolen about 2 months of the owners rent, that's why he asked for cash.

We were in the apartment about a week and a half when we heard someone trying to get in the back door. My wife and I drew our firearms and kept them at a low ready just out of the view. When the guys finally got in I asked in a loud voice what they were doing here. They both jumped because they didn't expect anyone, the apartment was listed as vacant.

They never did see the guns drawn, but when we entered the kitchen to check out credentials they both noticed our holstered firearms. It was a stressful event for all of us. Yes, the doors were all locked but the owner had his own keys. Two big lessons learned.

Always change the locks when you move, and target identification is a must. Not sure how it would have worked out in court but personally I'd have felt really bad had I shot him. Honestly had he been in more of a hurry I probably would have shot him thinking it was a home invasion.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Seems like this kind of thing is more common than I thought. Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    man you guys would hate me.

our front door is usually open all night. benefits of not living in the ghetto i guess.
    Petit Family News - The New York Times

This deadly home invasion happened in a very nice quiet town in Connecticut. Dr Petit was beaten with a bat, locked in a basement while his wife and 2 daughters were raped, killed, and set on fire...nice neighborhood though..

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post

This deadly home invasion happened in a very nice quiet town in Connecticut. Dr Petit was beaten with a bat, locked in a basement while his wife and 2 daughters were raped, killed, and set on fire...nice neighborhood though..
    Like Ted Nugent said I want dead offenders not second time offenders. Those guys were out on parole.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    What "always happens"? You mean some friendly, albeit inattentive neighbor inadvertantly enters your house through your unlocked door? Are you suggesting the proper response was to immediately draw down on the guy, or perhaps shoot him and claim castle doctrine?

Since I started posting here I have read of far more incidents of random and totally innocent encounters than I have situations where someone had to defend themselves. I've even read here how a guy went for his gun when he saw someone tinkering with "his" car, only to find "his" car belonged to the other guy. It was a the exact same color and model parked just one row over from his. How's that for coincidence?

The statistical likelihood of someone invading your apartment with death and destruction in mind is actually far less than this rare scenario. If you're not involved with drugs, criminal behavior, or drugged up family members, and live in a respectable neighborhood, the chances of needing to be immediately armed are beyond miniscule.

Do want to be the guy who perforates and kills some innocent neighbor on a technicality?

Not me.

Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post

i can have my sig and my door open at the same time. :D

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like a great lesson learned, without any harm done!
    +1!

I may be incorrect here, but I believe that statistically, most violent crimes happen to individuals in their own homes, or at least a sizable portion thereof.

Keep your gun on you or within reach at all times. The shower is the only real "downtime" of my own choosing.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    +1!

I may be incorrect here, but I believe that statistically, most violent crimes happen to individuals in their own homes, or at least a sizable portion thereof.

Keep your gun on you or within reach at all times. The shower is the only real "downtime" of my own choosing.
    I'm too lazy to exercise my Google-fu, but I would disagree. I would suspect most violent crime is perpetrated on and among those who engage in ongoing criminal enterprises: drug dealing, gang bangers, outlaw bikers, &c. Now, perhaps they experience a majority of these attacks in their own homes, but I don't know how you would parse those statistics.

You also have to factor in domestic violence in your assumptions. That is not a home invasion scenario where an innocent citizen defends his/her home.

I know for a fact that here in NC, when a 19 or 20 year-old street dealer in Durham gets gunned down, the local media refer to him as a "youth" or a "teenager", and another "victim" of lax gun laws in the South.

The Petit case is the exception that proves the rule. That case got major coverage simply because they were wealthy, professional people in an upscale neighborhood. The crime was random, and extremely rare.

When a local gangbanger gets wasted on the gritty streets, everyone just shrugs and the media yawns. Notice how the Natalie Holloway case in Aruba, and Jon Benet Ramsey murder got so much media buzz? If they had been a black hooker, or a white-trash, trailer-park meth tweaker, Nancy Grace and Greta van Susteren would have ignored them.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 23rd, 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'm too lazy to exercise my Google-fu, but I would disagree. I would suspect most violent crime is perpetrated on and among those who engage in ongoing criminal enterprises: drug dealing, gang bangers, outlaw bikers, &c. Now, perhaps they experience a majority of these attacks in their own homes, but I don't know how you would parse those statistics.

You also have to factor in domestic violence in your assumptions. That is not a home invasion scenario where an innocent citizen defends his/her home.

I know for a fact that here in NC, when a 19 or 20 year-old street dealer in Durham gets gunned down, the local media refer to him as a "youth" or a "teenager", and another "victim" of lax gun laws in the South.

The Petit case is the exception that proves the rule. That case got major coverage simply because they were wealthy, professional people in an upscale neighborhood. The crime was random, and extremely rare.

When a local gangbanger gets wasted on the gritty streets, everyone just shrugs and the media yawns. Notice how the Natalie Holloway case in Aruba, and Jon Benet Ramsey murder got so much media buzz? If they had been a black hooker, or a white-trash, trailer-park meth tweaker, Nancy Grace and Greta van Susteren would have ignored them.
    Interesting viewpoint. I think its a matter of socioeconomic status, not always neccesarily being a criminal as to getting report. You mentioned Durham, where I'm currently residing while in school. A 24 year old grad student that was dating my friend got gunned down in front of her house by what were probably gang bangers the beginning of this week. No news reports. Then a buddy of mine who I worked with last summer, someone I would've considered my friend and always willing to help was shot in Knightdale in someone's home and that did make the news. Both similar descriptions to me, young black male working college students. Interesting that one was reported and one wasn't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links