Man and dog barge into my new apartment.

This is a discussion on Man and dog barge into my new apartment. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So there I am sitting on my lawn chair (because my movers haven't arrived yet) last night watching TV. Then a loud noise as my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So there I am sitting on my lawn chair (because my movers haven't arrived yet) last night watching TV. Then a loud noise as my door swings wide open. At the first sound of it I'm on my feet, but my EDC is on the other side of the door in a small safe on the kitchen counter. Another gun in the bedroom is also out of reach. So instead I move towards the doorway as a dog on a leash leads the way in. I yelled something, which I don't really recall, and the guy behind the dog stops. He looks at me really confused and says "Oh man I think I got the wrong apartment." About faces and leaves in a hurry.

10 mins later he comes back knocks this time and apologizes he just moved in to and confused the buildings/hallways since they all look the same. (this time I was armed)

Moral of the story, double check that I double lock the door. This little encounter definitely inspired me to carry at home far more often, or at least have a weapon in arms reach.

Took a while for me to be able to calm down and finish watching the movie I had started.

Sounds like you learned your lesson. Take it from a student and apartment dweller, my gun is always in reach. So are my roommates. Apartment complexes just have entirely too much traffic coming through for it not to be.

Sounds like a great lesson learned, without any harm done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yea this is my first time in an apartment. Theres only two rooms on my floor that can be accessed from my hallway, and I'm not sure the other one is even occupied. So I definitely wasn't expecting visitors haha.

Also, you may want to keep dog biscuits close by!!! Seriously, that could have ended up much worse, glad it did't.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Happy your ok. A gun in a safe is next to useless for SD, unless you can get to it quickly!

Wow

As a new apartment guy too I allways have one in a pocket and

dead bolt lock on while in the apartment

Hmmm... Glad you spotted the teachable moment there!

And to think some people actually think they are "safe" in their own home!

We should expect to be "safer" in our homes, but don't go so far as to think you are totally safe in your home!

I'm glad you weren't hurt! No harm, no foul... Strong teaching moment. Hopefully you learned. Not everyone does!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Glad you learned your lesson. Hope he learned his.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member

Thumbs up

All's well, that ends well -- and a lesson learned w/ no harm, no foul.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

little confused here... are you saying you left door unlocked, esp moved into new apt??
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

Not intentionally but yea, I went down to get my mail and failed to lock it on the way back up.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuggin1 View Post
    Sounds like you learned your lesson. Take it from a student and apartment dweller, my gun is always in reach. So are my roommates.
    Did you mean that your roommates firearms are within your reach?

or

Your roommates are within arms reach?

I am hoping for the first one. But to each his/her own

Quote Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
    Not intentionally but yea, I went down to get my mail and failed to lock it on the way back up.
    Mrs Mac once walked into the wrong apartment in our large condo community. The buildings all look alike, and she was yakking on the cell phone, not paying close attention. She went into the building next to ours. The door wasn't locked, and she shocked the heck out of the guy inside. Fortunately, she wasn't shot.

It is perhaps lucky you didn't have your EDC within reach, or some poor schlub just out walking his dog could have died for a simple mistake.

Of course, we have learned to always IMMEDIATELY lock and deadbolt the door when we walk in. They are heavy, steel doors with large deadbolts. I am counting on that giving me the time I may need to get my gun a few steps away. In our unit, we each have a loaded pistol in our respective bedside nightstand.

I prefer safety over a "fast draw" posture. I would not want to live with the fact that I shot an innocent neighbor over a mistake.

Glad it turned out OK for all involved.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
    So there I am sitting on my lawn chair (because my movers haven't arrived yet) last night watching TV. Then a loud noise as my door swings wide open. At the first sound of it I'm on my feet, but my EDC is on the other side of the door in a small safe on the kitchen counter. Another gun in the bedroom is also out of reach. So instead I move towards the doorway as a dog on a leash leads the way in. I yelled something, which I don't really recall, and the guy behind the dog stops. He looks at me really confused and says "Oh man I think I got the wrong apartment." About faces and leaves in a hurry.

10 mins later he comes back knocks this time and apologizes he just moved in to and confused the buildings/hallways since they all look the same. (this time I was armed)

Moral of the story, double check that I double lock the door. This little encounter definitely inspired me to carry at home far more often, or at least have a weapon in arms reach.

Took a while for me to be able to calm down and finish watching the movie I had started.
    Sounds like you need to not lock all your guns up. One on your side is better than ten in a safe.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links