Does anyone else find this description aggravating or biased? - Page 2

Does anyone else find this description aggravating or biased?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else find this description aggravating or biased? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; another example of how the press in general will report before the facts are known just to "get the story first" i see this all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else find this description aggravating or biased?

re

another example of how the press in general will report before the facts are known just to "get the story first"
    i see this all the time in south florida radio,tv,press all of them and on top of that they will sometimes put their on spin on things and and distort the story - it sickens me

i would say though that i don't think i would have just opened fire on a flashlight but there is probably more to that story as well - i would hope the homeowner would make some kind of effort to identify his target
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

One of the MANY reasons I dont watch the news at all anymore. Too much bias and misinformation. After every news story come the opinions on the story. I dont need opinions, let me make my own. Just want facts and they get them wrong more than half the time. Only news I still look at is on weather underground.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    There's plenty of bias in the media but I think this is a result of lazy writing. Usually a crime gone "bad" is when the results are even worse than what the criminal apparently intended for the victim. For example, when a kidnapping turns into murder because of the kidnapper's panic or ineptitude, or if a store clerk is shot and killed when the robber (presumably) only wanted the cash in the drawer.

Something "gone bad" is a cliche phrase and gets universally applied to anything that turned out worse than it allegedly should have.

The writer is a lazy moron, but not necessarily biased.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member

spot on explanation, jumpwing

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    There's plenty of bias in the media but I think this is a result of lazy writing. Usually a crime gone "bad" is when the results are even worse than what the criminal apparently intended for the victim. For example, when a kidnapping turns into murder because of the kidnapper's panic or ineptitude, or if a store clerk is shot and killed when the robber (presumably) only wanted the cash in the drawer.

Something "gone bad" is a cliche phrase and gets universally applied to anything that turned out worse than it allegedly should have.

Spot on. Except I wouldn't want to call him names. He just did a poor job of writing. No bias.

I read a local new article today about a man being captured by the police. He was said to be "hold" up; rather than
    "holed-up, " in his house. Holed up meaning literally hiding in a hole in the ground as when Saddam Hussein was captured.

Just lazy writing.

I think it went perfectly fine......you know, if you are a mechanic one of the occupational hazards is getting dirt and grease on you as well as possibly getting burned by hot motor parts.....if a CPA, long hours during tax time, etc. etc.....so if you are a burgular...well dog bites and bullets are your occupational hazard!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I think it went perfectly fine......you know, if you are a mechanic one of the occupational hazards is getting dirt and grease on you as well as possibly getting burned by hot motor parts.....if a CPA, long hours during tax time, etc. etc.....so if you are a burgular...well dog bites and bullets are your occupational hazard!
    Great analogy, So true. I love it!
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    In Chehalis, WA last nite (coincidentally also home to the Firearms Academy of Seattle), a home owner shot and killed a burglar.

Police say a homeowner shot and killed a would-be burglar at a home in the 2000 block of State Route 508.

I would bet it was because of the use of the words I highlighted.

I guess its a bad thing to have any suspicion of someone entering your home, who doesn't belong there
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    What is a would-be burglar ????

Liberal media stinks
    Well apparently they changed it.

BUT, in the liberal medias mind, yes this buglary did go bad. In their mind anytime a disadvantaged individual who just wants to get ahead, gets killed by a gun wielding member of the elite class, it has gone bad.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    The castle doctrine, at least in SC, says it all. "A person is presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to himself if the person against whom the deadly force is used is IN THE PROCESS OF UNLAWFULLY AND FORCEFULLY ENTERING OR HAS ENTERED a dwelling." The heck with the press--the prosecutors get it right down here and decline any and all prosecution. Personally--I lock my bedroom door and, if burglarized, I will not go out of my bedroom to confront anyone who may be better armed and better trained than me (no one else in any part of my home)--that is why I have insurance on my "stuff", which is not worth my life. If they defeat my bedroom door, then they will be in for a very sorry experience. It may make the paper but it will never make it to court.

Title should read...

"Upstanding Citizen Saves Community from Future Robberies, Awarded Key to City"

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I agree with you. You won't find an ounce of sympathy from me for that criminal. When you break the law, and enter someone else's house with intent to commit a crime, you have lost most of your rights IMO.
    My setiments exactly.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I would call it "a FAILED burglary attempt".

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    The castle doctrine, at least in SC, says it all. "A person is presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to himself if the person against whom the deadly force is used is IN THE PROCESS OF UNLAWFULLY AND FORCEFULLY ENTERING OR HAS ENTERED a dwelling." The heck with the press--the prosecutors get it right down here and decline any and all prosecution. .
    I hope that is the case here. All the facts havent been released yet...not sure if they will be.

I do agree that if they didnt ID the burglar (flashlight in eyes) they should have but otherwise, it seems reasonable to me.

And that is a really good question...if someone is breaking into your home and shines a light in your eyes (just as we would use as a tactic)....and you cant ID them, are you justified in shooting them? It would be very easy for the bg to do that and then shoot you.

Maybe this would be a good one for the scenario section? I'm interested in opinions.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Originally Posted by jumpwing

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Spot on. Except I wouldn't want to call him names. He just did a poor job of writing. No bias.

I read a local new article today about a man being captured by the police. He was said to be "hold" up; rather than
    "holed-up, " in his house. Holed up meaning literally hiding in a hole in the ground as when Saddam Hussein was captured.

Just lazy writing.
    I didn't take it as name calling. More of a description if you ask me. The writing was lazy and moronic.

Michael

Administrator
    I guess it went bad because the poor guy probably has to buy some new carpet now. Carpet isn't cheap.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links