Does anyone else find this description aggravating or biased?

This is a discussion on Does anyone else find this description aggravating or biased? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Chehalis, WA last nite (coincidentally also home to the Firearms Academy of Seattle), a home owner shot and killed a burgler. This is the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else find this description aggravating or biased?

In Chehalis, WA last nite (coincidentally also home to the Firearms Academy of Seattle), a home owner shot and killed a burgler.

This is the complete article published so far:
    CHEHALIS, Wash. -- The Lewis County sheriff's office are investigating a burglary gone bad in Onalaska.

Police say between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. Monday a homeowner shot and killed a would-be burglar at a home in the 2000 block of State Route 508. The sheriff's office said the suspect died at the scene. The homeowner was not injured and was the only one home at the time.

Detectives are currently at the scene investigating.
    Lewis County homeowner shoots, kills home intruder - Seattle- msnbc.com

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure where this burglary went bad?

Well ok, it went bad for the burglar and it's bad for the man who now has to live with that killing, but really?

Would that have been a good burglary if the home invader got away? That would have been pretty bad for the home owner, right?

I dont advocate just killing people but to me, this sends a message that it's wrong to defend home and property. And if he'd been in my home, I couldnt have assumed he was just after my 15 yr old TV and non-existent fancy electronics.

Of course it's not just this article, but the sentiment in general that I feel I've been reading more and more.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I agree with you. You won't find an ounce of sympathy from me for that criminal. When you break the law, and enter someone else's house with intent to commit a crime, you have lost most of your rights IMO.

stupid media, when was the last time a Burglary Went Good?? just amazing
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

The best way to stop this kind of biased reporting is to write to the paper or media outlet. This is just plain bad reporting.

Another pet peeve of mine - when they use terms like "crime spree" or "shooting spree". Makes it sound like it's a lot of fun!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

The article is much better now: Lewis County homeowner shoots, kills home intruder - Seattle- msnbc.com

Lewis County homeowner shoots, kills home intruder

By Associated Press
    KING5
    updated 19 minutes ago

CHEHALIS, Wash. -- The Lewis County sheriff's office says an Onalaska man shot a killed a man he suspected was trying to break into his house, which has been under construction for several years.

The 58-year-old man reported a burglary at the site Monday and decided to remain overnight to protect his property. The sheriff's office says the man heard a noise Monday night, opened the garage door, found a flashlight in his eyes and fired his gun.

A 56-year-old Morton man was killed at the scene.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

A 31-year-old Morton woman fled, but later talked to deputies.

A Washington State Patrol crime lab is helping process the scene for evidence.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

You are not going to change the bias the media uses when it communicates with the sheep.

Of course that article is biased against people who use a firearm to protect themselves. I wouldn't expect anything different.

Is it frustrating and tiresome? Absolutely! Is it outrageous? You betcha!

But you ain't gonna change their view of "the evil gun!"

I'd be willing to bet that the gun is the single most bane of their entire existence! With the possible exception of Republicans. But I believe they see guns and republicans as the same thing. I'm just sayin'
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post

What is a would-be burglar ????

Liberal media stinks

DCR
    If the robbery had been a success you either would have never heard about it or they would have blamed the owner for not having allarms, better locks, and what not. You can never win with the media.

....and anytime some nut job / criminal is armed they call him a "gunman", like he came out of Army Infantry School or has "gunman" on his business card.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

They just covered this on the news but there was exactly the same info as in the updated article posted. Nothing new.

They may release what the female accomplice (that ran away) said later.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

The first thing I thought of was you guys down there. A little to close to home.

VIP Member
    re: 99MMmare: posted "a burglary gone bad"

Our language is difficult and full of all sorts of expressions as this one, and similarly, "near miss," which can't be taken literally.

That's just the way it is. There's no deep meaning. No bias.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    CHEHALIS, Wash. -- The Lewis County sheriff's office are investigating a burglary gone bad in Onalaska.
    Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but a burglary is in my experience breaking into a home or business when it is unoccupied to steal. Breaking into an occupied home would be an armed robbery or home invasion-perhaps aggravated robbery?

The story said he had a flashlight shined in his eyes and he fired. It turned out the guy WAS a burglar, so it turned out "ok", but what if it had been a police officer investigating a report of a prowler that the neighbors called in? I think he failed the "identify your target" test.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Good reply!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links