Concealed Carry Question

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am only 20 years old and I want to get my concealed carry license. My neighbor told me that i could take the required ...

Thread: Concealed Carry Question

Concealed Carry Question

I am only 20 years old and I want to get my concealed carry license. My neighbor told me that i could take the required course now and if i pass that I could just get my license when im 21 and not have to take the course agian. Is that true? If not what other options might their be?

2. Remove Ads

Check your state and local laws as the laws vary quite a bit. Some states do not call it a CC license.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

And ask the people who teach the course. You're going to have to get in touch with them anyway.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

not familiar in Kansas laws but ...to be safe, just wait till you become 21. Because money you pay is non-refundable.

Correct me if I am wrong.

G'day
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

You can also go to Handgunlaw.us to read the summary of your state and follow the links to your state's requirements and statutes.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    My daughter took the course when she was only 20 and of course had to wait a year till she turned 21 to get her permit. In SC the course is good for serveral years after you take it but I'm sure each state is different.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrittB08 View Post
    I am only 20 years old and I want to get my concealed carry license. My neighbor told me that i could take the required course now and if i pass that I could just get my license when im 21 and not have to take the course agian. Is that true? If not what other options might their be?
    Most states allow those under the required age to go ahead and take the classes. They are just that, classes, and the certificate is good for life.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

States differ

Do check YOUR state law. If I remember correctly the Tennessee course was only good for six months. Of course that was a long while ago when I took the course.

Most States Require your training Certificate to be within a year of applying for your permit cant be sure where your at best Info as others have stated call and ask thats free better that than taking course twice. good luck to you
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Do check YOUR state law. If I remember correctly the Tennessee course was only good for six months. Of course that was a long while ago when I took the course.
    Correct for TN. Still only good for 6 months. Check local laws in Kansas to see how it works there!
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

in Ohio the course is good for 6 months and you are able to take it before you are 21
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I was able to do this in NC. I took the course a few months before I turned 21. The next business day after I turned 21, I went and applied for my permit.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    In MN the class certificate is good for a year. The only legal snag could be whether or not it's legal for you to possess a handgun during the class, assuming your class has a shooting component, or possess/buy handgun ammo.

Links